RE: [ksurfschool] learning toeside - I don't want to ride switch- foot!

  • Andre Myburgh
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2001
      > Greetings!
      > Do most people just learn to ride switch foot, or would it just be
      > easier to learn to go toeside?

      Not easier. Once you get your brain around it (for me after the second
      session), I found switch foot no problem. I also surf and was surprised how
      easy it was. On my TT I actually ride better on the right hand tack. But
      toeside is a lot of fun, dragging one hand and with your face inches from
      the water. I'm still strugling to stay upwind when riding toeside, but
      another local here seems to fly upwind whenever he goes toeside on his small
      directional - he's pretty good though. I found the most difficult part of
      riding toeside is to get going and park the kite whith a twisted torso. Once
      you're get some speed it's pretty easy, but still more difficult than switch
      foot.

      > I have surfed for many years, and
      > learnng to ride switchfoot sounds really hard.

      I'm starting to think that my surfing didn't help my kitesurfing. It may be
      that my kitesurfing has helped my surfing, but I haven't had surfed much
      since I started kitesurf - lack of waves only.

      > Any advantages/disadvantages to the toeside thing people have
      > noticed?
      >
      > On that note, I would think a directional, but with only one strap
      > in the front, near the middle, would be best to learn on(to make it
      > easier to go toeside, but with the volume to stand up easily.

      Definitely. I tought myself on a TT and it was NOT easy. A big floaty
      directional is the way to go, and you can keep it for lighter winds.

      > Can
      > anyone point a board like that out? Like a cross between a
      > directional and a twin -tip.....

      Naish mutant will be too small to learn on I thinks. A big floaty
      directional is the way to go, and you can keep it for lighter winds and
      later add a smaller high wind board to you quiver.

      Cheers

      Andre