Re: Light wind kite information??

  • nostalgiker@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 30, 2001
      --- In ksurfschool@y..., Mel <kitebord@p...> wrote:
      > <nostalgiker@h...> wrote:
      >
      > > Thanks for the informaton i think it`s pretty clear now:)Mayby a
      few
      > > nots in each end will be in consideration for me..Sins you
      proberly
      > > are a better rider... :)
      >
      > Maybe, but it shouldn't take much skill to get the range of the
      colored bars
      > on the chart. The "real" extremes of the range I get myself can be
      seen if
      > you go to the "estimator" sheet & "highlight' the whole sheet by
      clicking
      > the grey box to the left of the "A" & above the "1".
      >
      > Mel

      I did that and nothing happend so i pressed = and then ok and then i
      got an error message.....:) But i its ok whitout the extreme
      range.... Thanks for all the advise
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 1, 2001
        nostalgiker@... wrote:
        > Thoughts:
        > I think i read somewhere in Hung kite school that a small kite that
        > moves fast generates more power by movment than a bigger kite..
        > Or im I out on thin ice :)

        I think you have it right but just to make it clear: a faster kite can
        generate more power for its size BUT NOT necessarily more power than a
        larger kite.

        Hung.
      • Dwight & Jacky
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 1, 2001
          > To dwight
          > Mayby there is no idea to surf if you have to sine a 17,5
          > constantly...
          > what i ment was during the lulls to keep the edge..
          > Thoughts:
          > I think i read somewhere in Hung kite school that a small kite that
          > moves fast generates more power by movment than a bigger kite..
          > Or im I out on thin ice :)

          It is true that with a very small and fast kite you can make a lot of power sine flying a kite. This
          is not a fun way to kite, and the 9.4 kite is not small enough or fast enough to be fun flying it
          that way.

          > Statement:
          > Mayby there is no straight answer wich size brand or sine pattern you
          > can use I just want to be able to surf more....) Mayby im frustrated
          > because my kite have been in the shop for 3 month an all the aug sep
          > okt (ok thats 4 month)wind has blowned away..

          Cabrinha bladders are easy to get now. You should be able to get your kite fixed immediately.

          I dont think i have to

        • nostalgiker@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 1, 2001
            "Cabrinha bladders are easy to get now. You should be able to get
            your kite fixed immediately".

            To dwight:
            Mayby where you live :) But we only have one shop whith cabrihna
            products in the near area.. And they are waiting for the right
            quality stamp on the bladdes thats what they told me :) Every time
            ive called the shop someone tells me the bladders will com mayby
            next friday...Thats wath ive heard for 4 month they have never told
            me why it takes so long or enything else..I found out what type of
            problems cabrinha have had whith the bladders on my own..

            So here is a funny story I booked a trip to fuerte ventura in August
            i then thought the bladders would be fixed untill oktober..But no no
            so 1 of okt i went to fuerte and rented i kite down there....The
            hotell was in corralejo... And because there was no wind (okt is a no
            wind month there apperently) I went to sotavento 1 1/2 hour drive
            south....

            Big beaches and a really nice spot...And here is the funny part Rene
            Egli pro center which I have never heard about had all the Cabrinha
            products on the beach ..2002 kites and boards so i started to talk to
            a german guy an instructor i think..And i started to complain about
            my kite beeing in the shop home and he looked like a question mark
            and told me that my kite should have beeing fixed by now..And it so
            happend that it was some kind of retailer conference and he was going
            to talk to the swedish retailer or nordic retailer...And i thought
            that he was just talking to calm me down or something...

            after 1 week of a little kite surf and nice weather I went home..
            And i called the shop for the mayby 100 time..The owner told me well
            we dont have them but there have been a retailer conferance in
            sotavento and now the right type of bladders are on the way mayby in
            a couple of weeks we will have them here And they are not sheep... (I
            dont care im not paying) I thought to my self....

            Once again the shop didnt tell me anything i didnt now i dont know if
            my complain did speed things up i hope it didnt..But I wonder cause
            every one tells me i should already have my bladders...The world can
            be small sometimes..And irretating... :)

            --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Dwight & Jacky" <fishersfort@a...> wrote:
            > > To dwight
            > > Mayby there is no idea to surf if you have to sine a 17,5
            > > constantly...
            > > what i ment was during the lulls to keep the edge..
            > > Thoughts:
            > > I think i read somewhere in Hung kite school that a small kite
            that
            > > moves fast generates more power by movment than a bigger kite..
            > > Or im I out on thin ice :)
            >
            > It is true that with a very small and fast kite you can make a lot
            of power sine flying a kite. This
            > is not a fun way to kite, and the 9.4 kite is not small enough or
            fast enough to be fun flying it
            > that way.
            >
            > > Statement:
            > > Mayby there is no straight answer wich size brand or sine pattern
            you
            > > can use I just want to be able to surf more....) Mayby im
            frustrated
            > > because my kite have been in the shop for 3 month an all the aug
            sep
            > > okt (ok thats 4 month)wind has blowned away..
            >
            > Cabrinha bladders are easy to get now. You should be able to get
            your kite fixed immediately.

            > I dont think i have to
            > > say which brand im using...They proberly have enough problems its
            > > very good kite and mayby if im nice i will get my bladders in
            > > christmas mornig....I actually saw the 2002 kites in sotavento
            fuerte
            > > (The German camp) ventura and they looked really nice stronger
            > > material on the leading edge and proberly good material on the
            > > inside :)
            > > Truth:
            > > One thing i know is that in the summer 2002 I will have som kind
            of
            > > big flying object that will be able to take me out in less wind
            then
            > > im able now...
            > >

            > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • frederic dujardin
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 1, 2001
              Hi ,
              Don't forget the equation of wing's lift : air density * surface(projected) * square of speed * Cz

              So kites are much more sensitives to speed than to surface .And more surface ofen gives less speed.
              Don't forget the Cz ratio which is only a number in relation which in fact (if I've well understood...) is dealing
              with the overall shape of the wing and profile .

              I believe we may interpret this formula as : "for a given surface , the more powerfull kite will be the fastest
              one "
              So , for 11 m� projected , a good deal would be a good foil !
              P-s I've just received my Mastair 12 , I was hesitating a moment with a 16.4 airblast.
              No regrets , great kite in my opinion .
            • courchesne@home.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 2, 2001
                Hi guys just got a new lite wind board Twin Tip with four fins 170cm.
                It 's made in Ontario Canada by Dan from ( epicboards.com ) it's nice
                and lite only 6.5 lbs.I can use my boot bindings or sandles from my
                other board(wakeboard 143 cm ) the tiwntip is 3/4 " thick by 16" wide
                with very sharp rails good for going upwind and i been told guys use
                it for high winds too . it's made of ( polymer carbon, glass epoxy,
                and heat cured. The best thing about it is it's price in Canadian dollards
                more than half the price from ordering one from the states. Dan gives
                10% off if ordered before spring . Well cant wait to try it out this
                summer and see how well it works. PS like to know if anyone else tried
                and Epic Board ( Twintip, Directional,Wakeboard ) before and how they
                compare to other similar boards ? Ok still waiting for good amount of
                snow to try new snowboard i hope it's here before Christmas holidays.

                Jonnykitesurfer.

              • nostalgiker@hotmail.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 2, 2001
                  --- In ksurfschool@y..., "frederic dujardin" <fdujardin@f...> wrote:
                  > Hi ,
                  > Don't forget the equation of wing's lift : air density * surface
                  (projected) * square of speed * Cz

                  > So kites are much more sensitives to speed than to surface .And
                  more surface ofen gives less speed.
                  > Don't forget the Cz ratio which is only a number in relation which
                  in fact (if I've well understood...) is dealing
                  > with the overall shape of the wing and profile .
                  >
                  > I believe we may interpret this formula as : "for a given
                  surface , the more powerfull kite will be the fastest
                  > one "
                  > So , for 11 m² projected , a good deal would be a good foil !
                  > P-s I've just received my Mastair 12 , I was hesitating a moment
                  with a 16.4 airblast.
                  > No regrets , great kite in my opinion .

                  I have been looking at foils just because there faster and lighter
                  and proberly have a better performance...But i want to be able to
                  handle it and the wind range of a foil is much more narrow thats
                  what ive heard...And mayby you have more truble whith bridles tangle
                  lines and kollaps kites in air because of gusty wind..Its gusty most
                  of the time where i kite...But the mast air seem to be a good kite i
                  agree :)If i had steady wind all the time i proberly would bought a
                  foil..:)
                  ANd