Light wind kite information??

  • nostalgiker@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 28, 2001
      Inflatible light wind kite Information!!!!?....I want to get so much
      information as possible..And yes i only want to buy an inflatible i
      dont want to mess whith bridle lines, or handles, water in valves, or
      sand in valves..And i dont want to lie on a folded kite for hours
      just to get the air out the valves:)My current kites are cabrihna
      9,4 and naish kite 3.5 5... Weight is about 150 lb.. board is 161
      pickelfork and a bic flysurf 6.7 i need a kite whit a good low end
      but not so much so it becomes a gap to my existing 9,4 say 6-12 whit
      the pickelfork if its possible?? I was thinking about the naish 21,4
      or the wipika 16,4 wich has the most low end and how much can i
      handle..
      My skill lets say i have been out whit my bic 6.7 and the 5 naish (2
      lines)in 30 knots gusts and pretty big waves lets just say its scary
      whitout a good edge sometimes:)What aabout does older naish Ar 5 ive
      heard the have i good low end...And i think i really need a back
      launch system as wipika airblast.. Is it hard to fix one to a naish
      kite?..

      My must have points:)
      A) kite whith a good low end but i dont want to fly whitout control
      in the gusts:)
      B)Easy waterlunch
      C)fully powerd in 6-12 knots
      D)Be able to use my pickelfork even if i have to work a little harder
      in the lulls
      E)good quality

      PS: In the kite size and reference guide (arx) it says that a 21.5
      meter is usable in 1-5 knots? Personly i doubt it can fly in 1-3
      knots winds???????????????
    • pedro rodriguez
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 28, 2001
        try a peter lunn arc. just once. you'll never go
        back.

        http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
      • nostalgiker@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 28, 2001
          Im tired of hearing about the increadeble arc! im glad you like your
          kite but thats not what i was asking about:)Someone else who has an
          opinion about arc and why its so good except for the prize please
          feel free to say something to convins me..For ex try to relaunch an
          arc which has been in the water for 30 min:)

        • Mel
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 28, 2001
            <nostalgiker@...> wrote:

            > Inflatible light wind kite Information!!!!?....I want to get so much
            > information as possible..

            You may want to follow the highlighted instructions on the "range estimator"
            sheet of the "kite specs" file in the "Mel's Stuff" folder of the kitesurf
            Yahoogroup files.

            Mel
          • Mel
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 28, 2001
              <nostalgiker@...> wrote:

              > Someone else who has an
              > opinion about arc and why its so good except for the prize please
              > feel free to say something to convins me..For ex try to relaunch an
              > arc which has been in the water for 30 min:)

              Since you asked: I've tried & succeeded, after about 20 minutes, but the
              only times I can remember* my ARC ever even touching the water accidentally
              was during testing of a safety system which was releasing prematurely.

              * Except for my first time when I forgot to just push the bar away to
              prevent crashing when I fell, & once when the wind died completely.

              Mel
            • nostalgiker@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 29, 2001
                --- In ksurfschool@y..., Mel <kitebord@p...> wrote:
                > <nostalgiker@h...> wrote:
                >
                > > Someone else who has an
                > > opinion about arc and why its so good except for the prize please
                > > feel free to say something to convins me..For ex try to relaunch
                an
                > > arc which has been in the water for 30 min:)
                >
                > Since you asked: I've tried & succeeded, after about 20 minutes,
                but the
                > only times I can remember* my ARC ever even touching the water
                accidentally
                > was during testing of a safety system which was releasing
                prematurely.

                > * Except for my first time when I forgot to just push the bar away
                > prevent crashing when I fell, & once when the wind died completely.
                >
                > Mel

                Okej I dont doubt its a good kite and the only bad thing ive heard is
                problem whit sand in valves (Wich proberly isn`t peter lynns fault)
                and that it has a bad low end..I havent seen any size bigger than
                1120 and im looking for a 6-12 knots size kite .............

                ANd
              • nostalgiker@hotmail.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 29, 2001
                  --- In ksurfschool@y..., Mel <kitebord@p...> wrote:
                  > <nostalgiker@h...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Inflatible light wind kite Information!!!!?....I want to get so
                  much
                  > > information as possible..
                  >
                  > You may want to follow the highlighted instructions on the "range
                  estimator"
                  > sheet of the "kite specs" file in the "Mel's Stuff" folder of the
                  kitesurf
                  > Yahoogroup files.
                  >
                  > Mel
                  Actually iv`e tried that its hard for me to know exactly wich board
                  you used and how long is long lines etc etc???? rrd Wich kite is
                  that???
                  ANd
                • Mel
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 29, 2001
                    <nostalgiker@...> wrote:

                    > > You may want to follow the highlighted instructions on the "range
                    > estimator"
                    > > sheet of the "kite specs" file in the "Mel's Stuff" folder of the
                    > kitesurf
                    > > Yahoogroup files.
                    > >
                    > > Mel
                    > Actually iv`e tried that its hard for me to know exactly wich board
                    > you used and how long is long lines etc etc???? rrd Wich kite is
                    > that???

                    At the top of the sheet I've indicated which kites I've tested in order to
                    obtain the data. I've added the 1120 to my own copy, but haven't uploaded
                    the new file yet, since the numbers for it seem pretty accurate so far
                    (haven't done enough testing to really know yet). After entering your
                    weight & hitting "Tab", you need to click on the next sheet at the bottom
                    ("chart", or "graph" - my Excel isn't working right now) to see the ranges
                    for the various kites. I think only one of the inflatables you were
                    initially considering is there, but you should be able to come fairly close
                    by comparing to others of similar flat area.

                    I used the kites on about 30m lines (give or take: no leaders, long leaders,
                    etc.), on boards including 148 & 169cm LiteWaves, 5'2 RRD, & 6' Fanatic, but
                    keep in mind I'm well known for "milking" the range at either extreme, so if
                    you click the box to the left of the "A" on the "estimator" sheet (so all
                    the "extreme" numbers show) you'll see the numbers that may require
                    different lines or boards for most riders. In other words, with a typical
                    board & lines, you'll likely get the ranges shown on colored bar chart. Let
                    me know if it still isn't clear.

                    << I dont doubt its a good kite and the only bad thing ive heard is
                    problem whit sand in valves (Wich proberly isn`t peter lynns fault)
                    and that it has a bad low end..I havent seen any size bigger than
                    1120 and im looking for a 6-12 knots size kite ............. >>

                    I've never had (or heard of) sand problems with any of the production models
                    (they have mesh valve covers). The "bad low end" myth is only because the
                    power is proportional to the FLAT area of an inflatable, not the projected
                    area (which is relatively high, on an ARC of the same size). In other
                    words, a 1410 ARC should have about as much low end power as a (fictional)
                    "13.2" Naish (since Naish flat numbers are about 0.9m small).

                    Mel
                  • Dwight & Jacky
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 29, 2001
                      I think you are looking at kites too big. I would not want to go from a 9.4 Cabrinha to a 21.5 ARX
                      or 16.4 Air Blast. The 17.5 ARX is very powerful and about as big a gap between those kites as you
                      would want. It has more power than the 12.2 Cabrinha which is the next size up that most people
                      would buy if they had the 9.4. The difference in light wind power with the bigger kites is smaller
                      than you would think. To go much bigger you give up a lot of jumping ability as the kites get much
                      slower turning. The newer big ARX kites have smaller bladders and better top end.

                      Dwight

                    • nostalgiker@hotmail.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 30, 2001
> [...]
                        > me know if it still isn't clear.
                        >
                        > << I dont doubt its a good kite and the only bad thing ive heard is
                        > problem whit sand in valves (Wich proberly isn`t peter lynns fault)
                        > and that it has a bad low end..I havent seen any size bigger than
                        > 1120 and im looking for a 6-12 knots size kite ............. >>
                        >
                        > I've never had (or heard of) sand problems with any of the
                        production models
                        > (they have mesh valve covers). The "bad low end" myth is only
                        because the
                        > power is proportional to the FLAT area of an inflatable, not the
                        projected
                        > area (which is relatively high, on an ARC of the same size). In
                        other
                        > words, a 1410 ARC should have about as much low end power as a
                        (fictional)
                        > "13.2" Naish (since Naish flat numbers are about 0.9m small).

                        Thanks for the informaton i think it`s pretty clear now:)Mayby a few
                        nots in each end will be in consideration for me..Sins you proberly
                        are a better rider... :)Thank`s again...
                      • nostalgiker@hotmail.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 30, 2001
                          I have actually heard that.. and that you can sine them better so the
                          differnt is not that big...Mayby thoose bigger kites are better for
                          really heavy persons...Just a thought.....Thanks for your opinion i
                          will consider thath in my search for light wind kites :)

                          ANd

                        • Dwight & Jacky
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 30, 2001
                            You don't ever want to kite so under powered you must sine the kite. You can't go upwind when sine
                            flying the kite. It's OK to sine the kite once in a while.

                            Dwight

                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 30, 2001
                              Dwight & Jacky wrote:
                              > You don't ever want to kite so under powered you must sine the kite. You can't go upwind when sine
                              > flying the kite. It's OK to sine the kite once in a while.

                              As long as you don't have to make very large sines (10 - 80 degrees
                              vertically), going upwind while sining the kite is possible.

                              The faster the kite, the larger the sines you can make and still going
                              upwind.

                              The larger the board, the larger the sines you can make and still going
                              upwind.

                              You can't jump if you have to sine more than 35 - 55 degrees vertically.

                              Hung.
                            • Mel
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 30, 2001
                                <nostalgiker@...> wrote:

                                > Thanks for the informaton i think it`s pretty clear now:)Mayby a few
                                > nots in each end will be in consideration for me..Sins you proberly
                                > are a better rider... :)

                                Maybe, but it shouldn't take much skill to get the range of the colored bars
                                on the chart. The "real" extremes of the range I get myself can be seen if
                                you go to the "estimator" sheet & "highlight' the whole sheet by clicking
                                the grey box to the left of the "A" & above the "1".

                                Mel
                              • nostalgiker@hotmail.com
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 30, 2001
                                  - In ksurfschool@y..., Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:
                                  > Dwight & Jacky wrote:
                                  > > You don't ever want to kite so under powered you must sine the
                                  kite. You can't go upwind when sine
                                  > > flying the kite. It's OK to sine the kite once in a while.
                                  >
                                  > As long as you don't have to make very large sines (10 - 80 degrees
                                  > vertically), going upwind while sining the kite is possible.
                                  >
                                  > The faster the kite, the larger the sines you can make and still
                                  going
                                  > upwind.
                                  >
                                  > The larger the board, the larger the sines you can make and still
                                  going
                                  > upwind.
                                  >
                                  > You can't jump if you have to sine more than 35 - 55 degrees
                                  vertically.

                                  > Hung.

                                  To dwight
                                  Mayby there is no idea to surf if you have to sine a 17,5
                                  constantly...
                                  what i ment was during the lulls to keep the edge..
                                  Thoughts:
                                  I think i read somewhere in Hung kite school that a small kite that
                                  moves fast generates more power by movment than a bigger kite..
                                  Or im I out on thin ice :)
                                  Statement:
                                  Mayby there is no straight answer wich size brand or sine pattern you
                                  can use I just want to be able to surf more....) Mayby im frustrated
                                  because my kite have been in the shop for 3 month an all the aug sep
                                  okt (ok thats 4 month)wind has blowned away.. I dont think i have to
                                  say which brand im using...They proberly have enough problems its a
                                  very good kite and mayby if im nice i will get my bladders in
                                  christmas mornig....I actually saw the 2002 kites in sotavento fuerte
                                  (The German camp) ventura and they looked really nice stronger
                                  material on the leading edge and proberly good material on the
                                  inside :)
                                  Truth:
                                  One thing i know is that in the summer 2002 I will have som kind of
                                  big flying object that will be able to take me out in less wind then
                                  im able now...
                                • nostalgiker@hotmail.com
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 30, 2001
                                    --- In ksurfschool@y..., Mel <kitebord@p...> wrote:
                                    > <nostalgiker@h...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Thanks for the informaton i think it`s pretty clear now:)Mayby a
                                    few
                                    > > nots in each end will be in consideration for me..Sins you
                                    proberly
                                    > > are a better rider... :)
                                    >
                                    > Maybe, but it shouldn't take much skill to get the range of the
                                    colored bars
                                    > on the chart. The "real" extremes of the range I get myself can be
                                    seen if
                                    > you go to the "estimator" sheet & "highlight' the whole sheet by
                                    clicking
                                    > the grey box to the left of the "A" & above the "1".
                                    >
                                    > Mel

                                    I did that and nothing happend so i pressed = and then ok and then i
                                    got an error message.....:) But i its ok whitout the extreme
                                    range.... Thanks for all the advise
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 1, 2001
                                      nostalgiker@... wrote:
                                      > Thoughts:
                                      > I think i read somewhere in Hung kite school that a small kite that
                                      > moves fast generates more power by movment than a bigger kite..
                                      > Or im I out on thin ice :)

                                      I think you have it right but just to make it clear: a faster kite can
                                      generate more power for its size BUT NOT necessarily more power than a
                                      larger kite.

                                      Hung.
                                    • Dwight & Jacky
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Dec 1, 2001
                                        > To dwight
                                        > Mayby there is no idea to surf if you have to sine a 17,5
                                        > constantly...
                                        > what i ment was during the lulls to keep the edge..
                                        > Thoughts:
                                        > I think i read somewhere in Hung kite school that a small kite that
                                        > moves fast generates more power by movment than a bigger kite..
                                        > Or im I out on thin ice :)

                                        It is true that with a very small and fast kite you can make a lot of power sine flying a kite. This
                                        is not a fun way to kite, and the 9.4 kite is not small enough or fast enough to be fun flying it
                                        that way.

                                        > Statement:
                                        > Mayby there is no straight answer wich size brand or sine pattern you
                                        > can use I just want to be able to surf more....) Mayby im frustrated
                                        > because my kite have been in the shop for 3 month an all the aug sep
                                        > okt (ok thats 4 month)wind has blowned away..

                                        Cabrinha bladders are easy to get now. You should be able to get your kite fixed immediately.

                                      • nostalgiker@hotmail.com
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Dec 1, 2001
                                          "Cabrinha bladders are easy to get now. You should be able to get
                                          your kite fixed immediately".

                                          To dwight:
                                          Mayby where you live :) But we only have one shop whith cabrihna
                                          products in the near area.. And they are waiting for the right
                                          quality stamp on the bladdes thats what they told me :) Every time
                                          ive called the shop someone tells me the bladders will com mayby
                                          next friday...Thats wath ive heard for 4 month they have never told
                                          me why it takes so long or enything else..I found out what type of
                                          problems cabrinha have had whith the bladders on my own..

                                          So here is a funny story I booked a trip to fuerte ventura in August
                                          i then thought the bladders would be fixed untill oktober..But no no
                                          so 1 of okt i went to fuerte and rented i kite down there....The
                                          hotell was in corralejo... And because there was no wind (okt is a no
                                          wind month there apperently) I went to sotavento 1 1/2 hour drive
                                          south....

                                          Big beaches and a really nice spot...And here is the funny part Rene
                                          Egli pro center which I have never heard about had all the Cabrinha
                                          products on the beach ..2002 kites and boards so i started to talk to
                                          a german guy an instructor i think..And i started to complain about
                                          my kite beeing in the shop home and he looked like a question mark
                                          and told me that my kite should have beeing fixed by now..And it so
                                          happend that it was some kind of retailer conference and he was going
                                          to talk to the swedish retailer or nordic retailer...And i thought
                                          that he was just talking to calm me down or something...

                                          after 1 week of a little kite surf and nice weather I went home..
                                          And i called the shop for the mayby 100 time..The owner told me well
                                          we dont have them but there have been a retailer conferance in
                                          sotavento and now the right type of bladders are on the way mayby in
                                          a couple of weeks we will have them here And they are not sheep... (I
                                          dont care im not paying) I thought to my self....

                                          Once again the shop didnt tell me anything i didnt now i dont know if
                                          my complain did speed things up i hope it didnt..But I wonder cause
                                          every one tells me i should already have my bladders...The world can
                                          be small sometimes..And irretating... :)

                                          --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Dwight & Jacky" <fishersfort@a...> wrote:
                                          > > To dwight
                                          > > Mayby there is no idea to surf if you have to sine a 17,5
                                          > > constantly...
                                          > > what i ment was during the lulls to keep the edge..
                                          > > Thoughts:
                                          > > I think i read somewhere in Hung kite school that a small kite
                                          that
                                          > > moves fast generates more power by movment than a bigger kite..
                                          > > Or im I out on thin ice :)
                                          >
                                          > It is true that with a very small and fast kite you can make a lot
                                          of power sine flying a kite. This
                                          > is not a fun way to kite, and the 9.4 kite is not small enough or
                                          fast enough to be fun flying it
                                          > that way.
                                          >
                                          > > Statement:
                                          > > Mayby there is no straight answer wich size brand or sine pattern
                                          you
                                          > > can use I just want to be able to surf more....) Mayby im
                                          frustrated
                                          > > because my kite have been in the shop for 3 month an all the aug
                                          sep
                                          > > okt (ok thats 4 month)wind has blowned away..
                                          >
                                          > Cabrinha bladders are easy to get now. You should be able to get
                                          your kite fixed immediately.

                                          > I dont think i have to
                                          > > say which brand im using...They proberly have enough problems its
                                          > > very good kite and mayby if im nice i will get my bladders in
                                          > > christmas mornig....I actually saw the 2002 kites in sotavento
                                          fuerte
                                          > > (The German camp) ventura and they looked really nice stronger
                                          > > material on the leading edge and proberly good material on the
                                          > > inside :)
                                          > > Truth:
                                          > > One thing i know is that in the summer 2002 I will have som kind
                                          of
                                          > > big flying object that will be able to take me out in less wind
                                          then
                                          > > im able now...
                                          > >

                                          > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                        • frederic dujardin
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Dec 1, 2001
                                            Hi ,
                                            Don't forget the equation of wing's lift : air density * surface(projected) * square of speed * Cz

                                            So kites are much more sensitives to speed than to surface .And more surface ofen gives less speed.
                                            Don't forget the Cz ratio which is only a number in relation which in fact (if I've well understood...) is dealing
                                            with the overall shape of the wing and profile .

                                            I believe we may interpret this formula as : "for a given surface , the more powerfull kite will be the fastest
                                            one "
                                            So , for 11 m� projected , a good deal would be a good foil !
                                            P-s I've just received my Mastair 12 , I was hesitating a moment with a 16.4 airblast.
                                            No regrets , great kite in my opinion .
                                          • courchesne@home.com
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Dec 2, 2001
                                              Hi guys just got a new lite wind board Twin Tip with four fins 170cm.
                                              It 's made in Ontario Canada by Dan from ( epicboards.com ) it's nice
                                              and lite only 6.5 lbs.I can use my boot bindings or sandles from my
                                              other board(wakeboard 143 cm ) the tiwntip is 3/4 " thick by 16" wide
                                              with very sharp rails good for going upwind and i been told guys use
                                              it for high winds too . it's made of ( polymer carbon, glass epoxy,
                                              and heat cured. The best thing about it is it's price in Canadian dollards
                                              more than half the price from ordering one from the states. Dan gives
                                              10% off if ordered before spring . Well cant wait to try it out this
                                              summer and see how well it works. PS like to know if anyone else tried
                                              and Epic Board ( Twintip, Directional,Wakeboard ) before and how they
                                              compare to other similar boards ? Ok still waiting for good amount of
                                              snow to try new snowboard i hope it's here before Christmas holidays.

                                              Jonnykitesurfer.

                                            • nostalgiker@hotmail.com
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Dec 2, 2001
                                                --- In ksurfschool@y..., "frederic dujardin" <fdujardin@f...> wrote:
                                                > Hi ,
                                                > Don't forget the equation of wing's lift : air density * surface
                                                (projected) * square of speed * Cz

                                                > So kites are much more sensitives to speed than to surface .And
                                                more surface ofen gives less speed.
                                                > Don't forget the Cz ratio which is only a number in relation which
                                                in fact (if I've well understood...) is dealing
                                                > with the overall shape of the wing and profile .
                                                >
                                                > I believe we may interpret this formula as : "for a given
                                                surface , the more powerfull kite will be the fastest
                                                > one "
                                                > So , for 11 m² projected , a good deal would be a good foil !
                                                > P-s I've just received my Mastair 12 , I was hesitating a moment
                                                with a 16.4 airblast.
                                                > No regrets , great kite in my opinion .

                                                I have been looking at foils just because there faster and lighter
                                                and proberly have a better performance...But i want to be able to
                                                handle it and the wind range of a foil is much more narrow thats
                                                what ive heard...And mayby you have more truble whith bridles tangle
                                                lines and kollaps kites in air because of gusty wind..Its gusty most
                                                of the time where i kite...But the mast air seem to be a good kite i
                                                agree :)If i had steady wind all the time i proberly would bought a
                                                foil..:)
                                                ANd