Re: [ksurfschool] Using C-Quad:

  • kennyfarnsworth@cs.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 8, 2000
      Mark,

      I think that between the two of us we have covered this topic well. It does
      come down to money. As Hung Vu said, hopefully the price of the kites will
      come down and make this sport more affordable. I am a mountain biker, so I
      see a lot of comparisions between mountain biking and kite surfing. In the
      beginning, mountain bikes were heavy, shifted like crap, and had no
      suspension. Today, you can get a great bike for less than a grand. In ten
      years, I think we will all be amazed by the technology and low price of kite
      surfing equipment.

      Kenny
    • matthias.unger@unger-partner.de
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 8, 2000
        Hi friends,
        thanks for your answers to my question. I just use the c-quad for
        buggy-kiting and I love the very good control of this kite insted of a
        2-liner, so I want to use it for kitesurfing too.
        Only problem is the water-relaunch, you told me. You ever tried the c-tubes,
        special air floated tubes on the backside of the kite?
        one time I tried a 5.5 Wipika on beach, it was very powerful, but this is the
        problem. You cant depower the kite and I only hold it at 12 a clock, with no
        chance to fly it like a normal kite down and fast right over the ground.
        regards
        Matthias
      • Mark Frasier
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 9, 2000
          At 06:36 AM 06/09/2000 UT, matthias.unger@... wrote:
          >Hi friends,
          >thanks for your answers to my question. I just use the c-quad for
          >buggy-kiting and I love the very good control of this kite insted of a
          >2-liner, so I want to use it for kitesurfing too.
          >Only problem is the water-relaunch, you told me. You ever tried the c-tubes,
          >special air floated tubes on the backside of the kite?
          >one time I tried a 5.5 Wipika on beach, it was very powerful, but this is
          the
          >problem. You cant depower the kite and I only hold it at 12 a clock, with no
          >chance to fly it like a normal kite down and fast right over the ground.
          >regards
          >Matthias

          I have been using faom pipe insulation in the sleeves on my 8.5 & 4.2 CQ's
          for about a month, but I haven't dunked the kite since then so I don't know
          if they do any good. People have told me that the tubes keep the kite from
          sinking but don't allow reliable relaunch.

          I agree about power regulation on the Wipikas: the pull is too constant for
          me. I like the variable power of a faster kite. How long have you been
          buggying? What size CQ's do you own?

          Mark Frasier
        • matthias.unger@unger-partner.de
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 9, 2000
            Hi Mark,
            I tried buggying first this year, but fly kites for 10 years.
            First I use a 2-line elliot foil with 3.6 squaremeters. Now I use a 4.2 CQ.
            Because of very light winds in Berlin/Germany IØm looking for some bigger
            one. Do you ever tried the 6.3 or 8.5 in very light wind? Is there enough
            power for buggying or surfing?

            Matthias

            > >thanks for your answers to my question. I just use the c-quad for
            > >buggy-kiting and I love the very good control of this kite insted of a
            > >2-liner, so I want to use it for kitesurfing too.
            > >Only problem is the water-relaunch, you told me. You ever tried the >
            c-tubes,
            > >special air floated tubes on the backside of the kite?
            > >one time I tried a 5.5 Wipika on beach, it was very powerful, but this is
            > the
            > >problem. You cant depower the kite and I only hold it at 12 a clock, with
            > no
            > >chance to fly it like a normal kite down and fast right over the ground.
            > >regards
            > >Matthias
            >
            > I have been using faom pipe insulation in the sleeves on my 8.5 & 4.2 CQ's
            > for about a month, but I haven't dunked the kite since then so I don't know
            > if they do any good. People have told me that the tubes keep the kite from
            > sinking but don't allow reliable relaunch.
            >
            > I agree about power regulation on the Wipikas: the pull is too constant for
            > me. I like the variable power of a faster kite. How long have you been
            > buggying? What size CQ's do you own?
            >
            > Mark Frasier

            > Click for more information on how eGroups members save with beMANY!
            >

            > To: ksurfschool@egroups.com
            ksurfschool@egroups.com
          • aspartamez
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 16, 2001
              Sorry, cant help you on the matter of water re-launching.

              Just a quick note to say that I have never made such good use of the
              bad weather, here in the old UK.

              I don't surf yet, but have bought a c quad 2.2m for a bit of fun.
              What can I say? All I've had before is a Flexi Stacker 6, the first
              time I launched the quad was on a beach in v high winds and shortly
              after my sholders had left their sockets, I travelled a considerable
              distance on my knees/stomach!!

              Well I bloody love it, just one problem though. What's the best way
              to launch (on your own) from land? Is staking the handles the
              answer??
              --- In ksurfschool@y..., matthias.unger@u... wrote:

              > Hi,
              > is there anyone who ever use a peter lynn c-quad for kitesurfing?
              whats about
              > water-launching?
              > regards
              > Matthias
            • pksebago
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 18, 2001
                --- In ksurfschool@y..., "aspartamez" <aspartamez@y...> wrote:
                > Sorry, cant help you on the matter of water re-launching.
                >
                > Just a quick note to say that I have never made such good use of
                the
                > bad weather, here in the old UK.
                >
                > I don't surf yet, but have bought a c quad 2.2m for a bit of fun.
                > What can I say? All I've had before is a Flexi Stacker 6, the
                first
                > time I launched the quad was on a beach in v high winds and shortly
                > after my sholders had left their sockets, I travelled a
                considerable
                > distance on my knees/stomach!!
                >
                > Well I bloody love it, just one problem though. What's the best way
                > to launch (on your own) from land? Is staking the handles the
                > answer??

                Use C quads for snowkiting. Easiest way to get started is to lay the
                kite flat on the back 1/2 to 3/4 of the way toward the edge of the
                window. Left side closest to you near the left edge of the window
                (reverse near the right). Weight down the left edge, walk back to
                your handles and give a tug on the right side. Kite should fill with
                air and you can fly to the left up and around the power zone. If you
                want to try dead downwind, you can face the leading edge toward you
                and weight it. Apply pressure on the brake lines to stand the kite
                on it's nose. Then a smooth tug on the brakes will reverse launch
                the kite. Turn to one side and fly away. Be prepared for a good tug
                as it zips up throught he zone. Good Luck
                > --- In ksurfschool@y..., matthias.unger@u... wrote:
                >
                > > Hi,
                > > is there anyone who ever use a peter lynn c-quad for kitesurfing?
                > whats about
                > > water-launching?
                > > regards
                > > Matthias
              • jezweston
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 22, 2001
                  --- In ksurfschool@y..., "pksebago" <Patkeeley@a...> wrote:
                  > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "aspartamez" <aspartamez@y...> wrote:
                  > > I don't surf yet, but have bought a c quad 2.2m for a bit of fun.
                  > > Well I bloody love it, just one problem though. What's the best way
                  > > to launch (on your own) from land? Is staking the handles the
                  > > answer??

                  Another easy option is to hook the bar onto something substantial and plonk the kite dead downwind, standing up with its leading edge down. A C-Quad will sit there permanently like this, even in very gusty winds. Obviously, it helps if you've something solid to attach it to, our local beach (Paraparaumu, Wellington, NZ) has huge chunks of driftwood lying over it, assorted steel piling and various tractors for holding things. I've tried this with a foot long sand stake and a 3.2 C-Quad and its risky in light winds, silly in anything more.

                  Launching is fun. Just add brake line tension until the kite lifts off backwards, turn through 90 degrees and fly out slowly to the edge of the wind, keeping lots of brake line tension on. Don't turn through 180 degrees and fly straight up through the power zone at high speed, unless you want to have a laugh.

                  Off to the beach, in the sun. Damn, I love the southern hemisphere...

                  Jez