wakeboard/kiteboard

  • pebelzga@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 11, 2001
      I'm new to this sport and really love it.I've been wondering what the
      difference is between a wakeboard-style kiteboard and a plain ole
      wakeboard.I have a starboard 180 that I use most of the time and then
      I also have a asymetrical twintip wakeboard that weighs 4 lbs.,has
      tuneable rails,about a 2.5in. rocker,15.75in.width,and is 4 ft.
      6.5in. in length.It is an old Exocet 156 with carbon fiber honeycomb
      construction.I would like to know any advantages/disadvantages using
      this board.It is easy to use when powered up, but not so when I have
      to work the kite.Any information will be greatly appreciated.
    • radio rental
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 12, 2001
        Hi Guys'n'Gulls

        I currently fly a freeair on 2 lines. I have bought a
        bar convertor. So, my question is, before I put it
        all together and start tuning....

        Are the centre lines going to be the same length as
        the outter lines attached to the bar? or will they
        have to be made a little shorter to take in the centre
        leader of the convertor?

        Second question, the bar convertor I bought (some home
        brand made in Tarifa) had a little plastic tube
        through the webbing where the lines should be
        attached, I noticed this on other makes. What is the
        recommended method for connecting lines to the centre
        leader (is leader the right word for what I'm taking
        about?) I assume the pastic tubing is for me to thread
        a rope through and larks head the lines on... so why
        isnt the rope normally included Im wondering.

        Thanks for your help in advance

        =====
        Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Cha-Chu.

        But I think it's Colin. --Tommy Cooper

        Find a job, post your resume.
        http://careers.yahoo.com
      • matt nuzzo
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 12, 2001
          sounds pretty sketchy with this conversion. set up
          the line the same length for the free air in 4 line.
          the free air converted is the best kite on the market.
          i love that kite. it turns fast and it is stable.
          get the air rush depower strap and put a couple of
          long leader on the strap if you are using your stock
          wipi bar. let me know if you have more questions at
          matt@...
          --- radio rental <chickenoriental@...> wrote:
          > Hi Guys'n'Gulls
          >
          > I currently fly a freeair on 2 lines. I have bought
          > bar convertor. So, my question is, before I put it
          > all together and start tuning....
          >
          > Are the centre lines going to be the same length as
          > the outter lines attached to the bar? or will they
          > have to be made a little shorter to take in the
          > centre
          > leader of the convertor?
          >
          > Second question, the bar convertor I bought (some
          > home
          > brand made in Tarifa) had a little plastic tube
          > through the webbing where the lines should be
          > attached, I noticed this on other makes. What is the
          > recommended method for connecting lines to the
          > centre
          > leader (is leader the right word for what I'm taking
          > about?) I assume the pastic tubing is for me to
          > thread
          > a rope through and larks head the lines on... so why
          > isnt the rope normally included Im wondering.
          >
          > Thanks for your help in advance

          > =====
          > Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese.
          > And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be
          > one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my
          > older brother Colin. Or my younger brother
          > Ho-Cha-Chu.
          >
          > But I think it's Colin. --Tommy Cooper

          http://personals.yahoo.com
        • matt nuzzo
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 12, 2001
            A boat wake is wide with a ton of rocker. a kite wake
            is thin narrow with a flat spot in the middle. this
            means that the kite wake rides smooth at speed and
            smooth in chop. the boat wakes work but you won't go
            upwind and you wil get over powered easily. i will
            have a jimmy lewis interview on my website by the end
            of the week at realkiteboarding.com check it out and
            it will tell you a lot.

            http://personals.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 13, 2001
              A 2.5 rocker wakeboard would work (more rocker than that would be a bit
              too loose for kitesurfing). Sound like this board is similar to the
              standard production board I am using. Take a look at the picture of the
              board at http://www.kitesurfingschool.org/equipments.htm

              A kiteboard should be easier to go upwind (more fins, less rocker) than
              a standard production wakeboard; however, once you get used to the
              feeling, a standard production wakeboard should work. Eventually, going
              finless is the ultimate freedom...

              A bi-directional board less than your chin height requires power-up
              condition. For under-power condition (need to work the kite), use a
              directional board about your height.

              Hung.

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 13, 2001
                Hi Matt

                Thanks for you reply, yes, my description is pretty
                sketchy. I dont know any other kitesurfers in my area
                so I'm not familiar with a lot of terms, there arent
                any shops either.

                The bar conversion looks rock solid. If I describe it
                from the harness loop out to the lines then you might
                get a better idea.

                -Loop
                -swivel
                -2 straps for about 60cm with a velco attachment in to
                which the bar fits at right angles to the straps. The
                bar can now slide up and down while attached to the
                straps.
                -The straps are stitched and are seperate again for
                another 50cm(ish)
                -then theres a funky little buckle system which allows
                one of the straps to be pulled towards the rider to
                shorten the length of the leader.
                -the other strap is looped and stitched for line
                attachment.

                So, I think that fairly well describes the setup (I
                know, I need a digital camera). If you are still not
                with me but you still wouldnt mind helping I can draw
                the system out and scan it in??

                My questions are
                Firstly, when measuring out my additional two new
                centre lines, do I need to take in to account the
                maximum lenght of 'strap' from the bar (at its
                position furthest away from my body) to where the
                lines should be attached to the strap? [in other words
                should all my four lines be 30m or should the centre
                lines be about 50cm shorter]

                Secondly, whats the best way to attach the lines to
                the strap, should I loop a bit of rope through the
                loop of the strap, put a few knots in it and attach
                the lines larkshead style? Or somehow attach the lines
                directly to the strap and do all adjustments with the
                buckle on the convertor?

                Cheers for you help Matt, I'm new to kitesurfing but
                have been flying traction kites for a little while and
                I'm amazed at how much a kitesurf setup can be
                designed by the rider.

                pauric

                =====

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 13, 2001
                  hung -- i checked out the picture of your quiver, and
                  you have to be kidiing me if you say that donkey twin
                  tip is a wakeboard. a wakeboard has bindings and is
                  not a big donkey board like that one that you ride.
                  if any one has questions about wakeboards check out
                  the video of llew and jason killing it in the how too
                  section of
                  http://www.realkiteboarding.com/index.ihtml?page=howto
                  note in all of the pictures that the riders have short
                  boards and bindings that wrap half way up their calf.
                  please do yourselves a favor and get a good kite
                  specific wake ie. jimmy lewis and some good full wrap
                  bindings. you will be locked in and you will have
                  power on your edge. ditch the chicken loop and learn
                  how to set an edge. -- Matt

                  http://personals.yahoo.com
                • Dwight & Jacky
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 13, 2001
                    Matt,

                    I think you belong on the other kite group. This group was started to help the timid newbies get
                    advice without being embarrassed, flamed, or bashed into submission.

                    I know you are a great kiter and your advice is greatly appreciated, but better suited to the main
                    kite group.

                    Dwight

                    P.S. You sound like myself this summer preaching the Free Air/Jimmy Lewis gospel on the main group.
                    :-))
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 13, 2001
                      Matt,

                      matt nuzzo wrote:
                      > please do yourselves a favor and get a good kite
                      > specific wake ie. jimmy lewis and some good full wrap
                      > bindings. you will be locked in and you will have
                      > power on your edge. ditch the chicken loop and learn
                      > how to set an edge. -- Matt

                      It's actually harder to edge with straps and bungees than with high wrap
                      binding (I have used both. The used wakeboard came with the high wrap
                      binding and I used it interchangeably with straps and bungees to see the
                      differences).

                      From the edging stand point, the high wrap binding can be considered as
                      a learning device similar to the chicken loop.

                      It's even harder finless...

                      Hung.
                    • matt nuzzo
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 14, 2001
                        Hung -- Are you trying to tell me that it is better to
                        ride a wake with no fins and foot straps?!? You have
                        to be kidding me. That is the stupidest thing that i
                        have ever heard. Bindings are easy. That is why you
                        use them. They lock you in and allow you to hold back
                        a powered kite. -- Matt
                        --- Hung Vu <hungvu@...> wrote:
                        > Matt,
                        >
                        > matt nuzzo wrote:
                        > > please do yourselves a favor and get a good kite
                        > > specific wake ie. jimmy lewis and some good full
                        > wrap
                        > > bindings. you will be locked in and you will have
                        > > power on your edge. ditch the chicken loop and
                        > learn
                        > > how to set an edge. -- Matt
                        >
                        > It's actually harder to edge with straps and bungees
                        > than with high wrap
                        > binding (I have used both. The used wakeboard came
                        > with the high wrap
                        > binding and I used it interchangeably with straps
                        > and bungees to see the
                        > differences).
                        >
                        > From the edging stand point, the high wrap binding
                        > can be considered as
                        > a learning device similar to the chicken loop.
                        >
                        > It's even harder finless...

                        http://personals.yahoo.com
                      • matt nuzzo
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 14, 2001
                          Dwight -- I am not trying to discourage the newbies.
                          I am trying to educate them on how not to be a tech
                          geek that gets so wrapped up in the gear that they
                          forget to go out and kite. Send me that link to the
                          main site so I can lay some smack down on some of
                          those helmets too. Thanks -- Matt
                          --- Dwight & Jacky <fishersfort@...> wrote:
                          > Matt,
                          >
                          > I think you belong on the other kite group. This
                          > group was started to help the timid newbies get
                          > advice without being embarrassed, flamed, or bashed
                          > into submission.
                          >
                          > I know you are a great kiter and your advice is
                          > greatly appreciated, but better suited to the main
                          > kite group.
                          >
                          > Dwight
                          >
                          > P.S. You sound like myself this summer preaching the
                          > Free Air/Jimmy Lewis gospel on the main group.
                          > :-))

                          http://personals.yahoo.com
                        • matt nuzzo
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 14, 2001
                            The most important part to setting a bar up 4 line is
                            that all lines are the same length and the bar is
                            straight. I hook the lines up to my trailer hitch and
                            stretch them down the street. as a general rule the
                            more parts, buckles, straps, knots, clips, balls, etc.
                            the worse the bar will be. the simple bars work the
                            best. get some solid line with a strong core for
                            leaders. use over hand knots on the leaders and slip
                            knots on the kite lines. the depower strap should be
                            fully extended when all of the lines are the same
                            length. when you pull in on the depower strap the
                            fron lines will get shorter which will depower the
                            kite.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 15, 2001
                              Nice one, makes sense to me. I understand what your
                              saying about more shit = less feel of the kite

                              However I NEED to go 4 line, I'm used to it on land
                              and hate 2 line. As I'm miles away from the coast
                              there arent any good kitesurf shops near me so its
                              hard to get a good idea of what to go for. For
                              example, one shop tried to sell me 175lb lines for the
                              wipka!!

                              So, thanks for the advice and I saw another guy, I
                              think Mel, saying that maybe your advice would be
                              better suited to the main forum. As you're the only
                              guy who's helped me I'd like to say that you should
                              keep on at the school forum. Even if you'll never
                              make a world famous diplomat (o;

                              cheers Matt
                              pauric

                              =====

                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 15, 2001
                                Matt,

                                Definitely more challenging finless with straps and bungees...

                                You don't necessarily need binding to hold back a powered kite, the same
                                way you don't necessarily need a chicken loop...

                                Hung.

                              • alan.linsley@ca.pwcglobal.com
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 15, 2001
                                  Let's see...
                                  If I listen to Hung, I can have fun on a cheap finless production wakeboard
                                  with footstraps and heel bungees. Hung, don't you advocate the use of
                                  Wipika Classics - boy those sure are expensive these days.
                                  If I listen to Matt, I can only have fun on expensive 'kite specific'
                                  boards and bindings.
                                  Thanks for making sure I don't get all wrapped up in expensive gear Matt!
                                  If Hung is doing it all wrong, why is he smiling in all those photos?
                                  Alan

                                  matt nuzzo
                                  <realkiteobx@ To: ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com
                                  yahoo.com> cc:
                                  Subject: Re: [ksurfschool] wakeboard/kiteboard
                                  11/14/2001
                                  07:28 PM
                                  Please
                                  respond to
                                  ksurfschool

                                  Dwight -- I am not trying to discourage the newbies.
                                  I am trying to educate them on how not to be a tech
                                  geek that gets so wrapped up in the gear that they
                                  forget to go out and kite. Send me that link to the
                                  main site so I can lay some smack down on some of
                                  those helmets too. Thanks -- Matt
                                  --- Dwight & Jacky <fishersfort@...> wrote:
                                  > Matt,
                                  >
                                  > I think you belong on the other kite group. This
                                  > group was started to help the timid newbies get
                                  > advice without being embarrassed, flamed, or bashed
                                  > into submission.
                                  >
                                  > I know you are a great kiter and your advice is
                                  > greatly appreciated, but better suited to the main
                                  > kite group.
                                  >
                                  > Dwight
                                  >
                                  > P.S. You sound like myself this summer preaching the
                                  > Free Air/Jimmy Lewis gospel on the main group.
                                  > :-))

                                  computer.