please help wind range

  • frederic dujardin
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 7, 2001
      Hi ,
      I'm planning to buy a 16.4 airblast and as I have a 15.5 ar5 naish I wonder if
      the wind range of the airblast is covering the one of the Naish .
      Do you think it's worth keeping the 15.5 Naish ?
      Many thanks !
    • kitesrfer@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 7, 2001
        Hello Fredrick,

        I have the AB 16.4 and AB 11.8 m, the later is very close to the size of the
        AR5 15.5 m kite. I use both the 11.8 m and 16.4 m regularly. Although there
        is an overlap between the two, I would not like to go from say the AB 8.4 m
        all the way up to the 16.4 m. You could do it in theory but would be pretty
        underpowered at some point with the 8.4 m or whatever smaller kite you have
        or may be contemplating getting and overpowered with the 16.4 m. I max out
        the 16.4 in around 18 to 20 mph and the 11.8 m with around 25 mph+. Those
        represent gust velocities, actual viable sustained velocities would be lower.
        I would hang on to your AR5 15.5 m.

        Good winds,
        Rick

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 7, 2001
          Rick,

          What is your low end with the 16.4 and what is your weight again (I
          remember around 200 lb)?

          Thanks,

          Hung.

          kitesrfer@... wrote:

          > Hello Fredrick,
          >
          > I have the AB 16.4 and AB 11.8 m, the later is very close to the size of the
          > AR5 15.5 m kite. I use both the 11.8 m and 16.4 m regularly. Although there
          > is an overlap between the two, I would not like to go from say the AB 8.4 m
          > all the way up to the 16.4 m. You could do it in theory but would be pretty
          > underpowered at some point with the 8.4 m or whatever smaller kite you have
          > or may be contemplating getting and overpowered with the 16.4 m. I max out
          > the 16.4 in around 18 to 20 mph and the 11.8 m with around 25 mph+. Those
          > represent gust velocities, actual viable sustained velocities would be lower.
          > I would hang on to your AR5 15.5 m.
          >
          > Good winds,
          > Rick
          >
          > Hi ,
          > I'm planning to buy a 16.4 airblast and as I have a 15.5 ar5 naish I wonder if
          > the wind range of the airblast is covering the one of the Naish .
          > Do you think it's worth keeping the 15.5 Naish ?
          > Many thanks !

        • matt nuzzo
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 7, 2001
            REALkiteboarding.com has 16.4 air blasts for $999
            complete. I have one and i can ride a wake in 8. you
            can go up wind at around 10 or 11. that thing is
            huge.
            --- Hung Vu <hungvu@...> wrote:
            > Rick,
            >
            > What is your low end with the 16.4 and what is your
            > weight again (I
            > remember around 200 lb)?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Hung.
            >
            > kitesrfer@... wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello Fredrick,
            > >
            > > I have the AB 16.4 and AB 11.8 m, the later is
            > very close to the size of the
            > > AR5 15.5 m kite. I use both the 11.8 m and 16.4
            > m regularly. Although there
            > > is an overlap between the two, I would not like to
            > go from say the AB 8.4 m
            > > all the way up to the 16.4 m. You could do it in
            > theory but would be pretty
            > > underpowered at some point with the 8.4 m or
            > whatever smaller kite you have
            > > or may be contemplating getting and overpowered
            > with the 16.4 m. I max out
            > > the 16.4 in around 18 to 20 mph and the 11.8 m
            > with around 25 mph+. Those
            > > represent gust velocities, actual viable sustained
            > velocities would be lower.
            > > I would hang on to your AR5 15.5 m.
            > >
            > > Good winds,
            > > Rick
            > >
            > > Hi ,
            > > I'm planning to buy a 16.4 airblast and as I have
            > a 15.5 ar5 naish I wonder if
            > > the wind range of the airblast is covering the one
            > of the Naish .
            > > Do you think it's worth keeping the 15.5 Naish ?
            > > Many thanks !
            > >

            > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Find a job, post your resume.
            http://careers.yahoo.com
          • matt nuzzo
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 7, 2001
              Fredrick -- go for the 16.4 because you can kite when
              a blade of grass moves. it is so much fun to be able
              to ride a wake in no breeze. there will be no white
              caps and you will be out there killing it. keep the
              15.5 because you will ride that into higher winds as
              you get better. the 15.5 will jump a lot higher than
              the 16.4 too. realkiteboarding.com has killer deals on
              the 16.4 complete. check it out. hang loose -- matt
              --- frederic dujardin <fdujardin@...> wrote:
              > Hi ,
              > I'm planning to buy a 16.4 airblast and as I have a
              > 15.5 ar5 naish I wonder if
              > the wind range of the airblast is covering the one
              > of the Naish .
              > Do you think it's worth keeping the 15.5 Naish ?
              > Many thanks !

              Find a job, post your resume.
              http://careers.yahoo.com
            • frederic dujardin
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 8, 2001
                Many thanks for your advices !
                Newsgroups are a very usefull idea !
                Good Winds !
                --
                frederic dujardin <fdujardin@...>
              • fernmanus@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 8, 2001
                  Fredrick,

                  Hang on to the 15.5, if you don't want to spend the money on trading
                  up for a better kite. The AR5 15.5 is a slow turning kite. The new
                  15.5 ARX or 11.8 AB are both more responsive kites. The new 12.2
                  Cabrinha Black tip also looks like a good possibility. This is
                  especially important for jumping, the 15.5 AR5 is so slow that
                  jumping is not nearly as much fun as the faster turning kites.

                  You can jump very high on the 16.4 once you get the timing right. I
                  have gone over 35 feet high with a 16.4. You can also jump much
                  further horizontally. Jump lengths over 100 feet are common and over
                  200 feet is possible on a 25 foot plus high jump. Believe it or not,
                  the 16.4 is my favorite kite for jumping.

                  Kenny