Foot Staps or Bindings for Beginners?

  • gapagod@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2001
      I'm confused as to at what point in my learning process I should
      transition from foot straps to bindings.

      I learning on a biderectional board with foot straps, and every time
      I wipe out, I have to go through the hassle of getting my feet into
      the foot straps again. Seems to me, that if I was in bindings, my
      feet would come out much less.

      Is there any real reason why I should not go with bindings from the
      get go?

      TIA.

      Jim
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 7, 2001
        gapagod@... wrote:
        > I'm confused as to at what point in my learning process I should
        > transition from foot straps to bindings.

        You can start with strap & heel bungee or sandal.

        Actually I don't a reason why a bidirectional rider should start with
        strap alone.

        > I learning on a biderectional board with foot straps, and every time
        > I wipe out, I have to go through the hassle of getting my feet into
        > the foot straps again. Seems to me, that if I was in bindings, my
        > feet would come out much less.

        Feet coming out of binding or straps is more a function of how badly you
        crash compare to the support you get from the binding or the strap.

        > Is there any real reason why I should not go with bindings from the
        > get go?

        Binding can give you a hard time (even with strap and bungee) if you
        crash badly enough.

        Most of the time, you need to get out of your binding to relaunch a high
        AR inflatable (another reason why most wakeboarders use low AR
        inflatable - or foil - which can be relaunched in binding). Getting in a
        high wrap binding all by yourself with the kite overhead is not fun.

        High wrap binding is extremly kiter non-friendly. There are some
        supposed-to-be kiter friendly high wrap binding on the market but I
        haven't yet tried them.

        Hung.
      • matt nuzzo
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 7, 2001
          Get a grip. Buy bindings and don't look back. I got
          2 people to get into bindings yesterday and they loved
          them. If you can get bindings with the slippery foam
          you will be styling. This month most of the companies
          will be coming out with good kite specific bindings.
          go for all laces in the front. No straps or extra
          stupid donkey hardwear. oh yeah... ditch the high
          aspect kites and go with the r3 or free airs converted
          to 4 line. don't tech out...... get out there and get
          litt. -- - matt
          --- gapagod@... wrote:
          > I'm confused as to at what point in my learning
          > process I should
          > transition from foot straps to bindings.
          >
          > I learning on a biderectional board with foot
          > straps, and every time
          > I wipe out, I have to go through the hassle of
          > getting my feet into
          > the foot straps again. Seems to me, that if I was
          > in bindings, my
          > feet would come out much less.
          >
          > Is there any real reason why I should not go with
          > bindings from the
          > get go?
          >
          > TIA.
          >
          > Jim