RE: [ksurfschool] Using C-Quad

  • Farnsworth, Kenny
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 8, 2000
      Mark,
      I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with you. I would suggest buying
      a 7.0 Naish 2 line kite. After learning how to fly and ride on the board, I
      would convert the Naish to a 4 line kite for more wind range.

      The C Quad option is okay only if you are willing to spend many hours
      learning how to fly the kite before even bothering to try and kite surf. I
      don't disagree with you that the C-Quad is a great kite. I just think it
      will frustrate a BEGINNING kite surfer. Beginners crash the kite a lot. If
      you buy a C-Quad, be prepared to swim.

      A non water relaunchable kite is fine for intermediate to advanced kite
      surfers. However, even the pro's still crash their sleds. I saw several
      swim to the beach in Maui dragging their wet kites behind them. I saw one
      pro collapse on the beach due to exhaustion after swimming 1/4 mile to the
      beach with his soggy Flexifoil and his wakeboard.

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 8, 2000
        At 01:04 PM 06/08/2000 -0600, Farnsworth, Kenny wrote:
        >Mark,
        >I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with you. I would suggest buying
        >a 7.0 Naish 2 line kite. After learning how to fly and ride on the board, I
        >would convert the Naish to a 4 line kite for more wind range.
        >
        >The C Quad option is okay only if you are willing to spend many hours
        >learning how to fly the kite before even bothering to try and kite surf. I
        >don't disagree with you that the C-Quad is a great kite. I just think it
        >will frustrate a BEGINNING kite surfer. Beginners crash the kite a lot. If
        >you buy a C-Quad, be prepared to swim.
        >
        >A non water relaunchable kite is fine for intermediate to advanced kite
        >surfers. However, even the pro's still crash their sleds. I saw several
        >swim to the beach in Maui dragging their wet kites behind them. I saw one
        >pro collapse on the beach due to exhaustion after swimming 1/4 mile to the
        >beach with his soggy Flexifoil and his wakeboard.
        >
        >Kenny

        We are pretty much in total agreement on the points you make above: A
        beginner, not having flown any kind of controlable kite before, given a
        budget of $1500 or so now and another $1000 - $2000 over the next year
        should start with a new waterlaunchable kite (whatever kind, depending on
        how much you want to be able to grow into the kite) and a new custom board
        shaped to fit your water conditions, weight, wind & physical
        ability/patience, say $800 for the kite and $700 for the board, add a few
        $$$ on for harness, etc. The additional $1-2000 is for a larger kite and a
        smaller kite later on. That would really be the way to go if possible. Skip
        the C Quads if you can - you'll be at less risk of swimming in. Also a
        beginner is not going to be able to apprecaite the benefits of a CQ anyhow,
        and won't know what he/she's missing. For someone who's used to a
        windsurfing budget that's not so bad. Certainly a lot less than catamaran
        sailing or power boating.

        If you had a strong desire to kitesurf, a good place to do it (a decent
        area of chest-deep water, like a shallow ocean beach w/cross-on or onshore
        wind), winds around 12-18 mph and $500, what board/kite combo would you
        get? Or would you not kitesurf 'til you got out of school and could get a
        better job? (that's a fair answer)

        Oh, yeah, one more thing to the original poster and everyone else: If you
        do get a water launchable kite, you still shouldn't go out farther than you
        can swim in, unless you have some sort of backup plan (like a support boat,
        or maybe some areas have lifeguards w/jetskis??). Equipment failures happen
        with all types of kites, boards & bodies. There are two kinds of swims:
        inconvenient, frustrating swims, and dangerously long swims.

        BTW, if you're interested, here's my background: 4 years of stunt kite
        flying, 3 years of traction kiting (buggying & skiing), 2 years w/ CQuads,
        1 year kitesufing with 6 months off for winter. Total C Quad "wet crashes"
        about a dozen or 18. Total "swim-ins" one - about 75 yds 'til I could start
        wading. So in other words, I started kitesurfing with quite a lot of
        experience w/the kite, and I have a good spot that allows me to walk in
        from most crashes, and the self-discipline to stay close to shore :).

        The most important points are: C Quads are cheap and high-performance, but
        more demanding to fly and don't normally relaunch from water. Naish AR 3.5s
        are easier to fly (for someone starting out, or so I'm told, I know I can't
        fly 'em worth crap), do normally relaunch from water and perform well
        enough to be of use, but are expensive. Right?

        We should have asked the original poster why he/she was considering a C
        Quad and what his/her situation is. Hope this thread is useful to someone :)

        Mark Frasier
      • kennyfarnsworth@cs.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 8, 2000
          Mark,

          I think that between the two of us we have covered this topic well. It does
          come down to money. As Hung Vu said, hopefully the price of the kites will
          come down and make this sport more affordable. I am a mountain biker, so I
          see a lot of comparisions between mountain biking and kite surfing. In the
          beginning, mountain bikes were heavy, shifted like crap, and had no
          suspension. Today, you can get a great bike for less than a grand. In ten
          years, I think we will all be amazed by the technology and low price of kite
          surfing equipment.

          Kenny
        • matthias.unger@unger-partner.de
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 8, 2000
            Hi friends,
            thanks for your answers to my question. I just use the c-quad for
            buggy-kiting and I love the very good control of this kite insted of a
            2-liner, so I want to use it for kitesurfing too.
            Only problem is the water-relaunch, you told me. You ever tried the c-tubes,
            special air floated tubes on the backside of the kite?
            one time I tried a 5.5 Wipika on beach, it was very powerful, but this is the
            problem. You cant depower the kite and I only hold it at 12 a clock, with no
            chance to fly it like a normal kite down and fast right over the ground.
            regards
            Matthias
          • Mark Frasier
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 9, 2000
              At 06:36 AM 06/09/2000 UT, matthias.unger@... wrote:
              >Hi friends,
              >thanks for your answers to my question. I just use the c-quad for
              >buggy-kiting and I love the very good control of this kite insted of a
              >2-liner, so I want to use it for kitesurfing too.
              >Only problem is the water-relaunch, you told me. You ever tried the c-tubes,
              >special air floated tubes on the backside of the kite?
              >one time I tried a 5.5 Wipika on beach, it was very powerful, but this is
              the
              >problem. You cant depower the kite and I only hold it at 12 a clock, with no
              >chance to fly it like a normal kite down and fast right over the ground.
              >regards
              >Matthias

              I have been using faom pipe insulation in the sleeves on my 8.5 & 4.2 CQ's
              for about a month, but I haven't dunked the kite since then so I don't know
              if they do any good. People have told me that the tubes keep the kite from
              sinking but don't allow reliable relaunch.

              I agree about power regulation on the Wipikas: the pull is too constant for
              me. I like the variable power of a faster kite. How long have you been
              buggying? What size CQ's do you own?

              Mark Frasier
            • matthias.unger@unger-partner.de
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 9, 2000
                Hi Mark,
                I tried buggying first this year, but fly kites for 10 years.
                First I use a 2-line elliot foil with 3.6 squaremeters. Now I use a 4.2 CQ.
                Because of very light winds in Berlin/Germany IØm looking for some bigger
                one. Do you ever tried the 6.3 or 8.5 in very light wind? Is there enough
                power for buggying or surfing?

                Matthias

                > >thanks for your answers to my question. I just use the c-quad for
                > >buggy-kiting and I love the very good control of this kite insted of a
                > >2-liner, so I want to use it for kitesurfing too.
                > >Only problem is the water-relaunch, you told me. You ever tried the >
                c-tubes,
                > >special air floated tubes on the backside of the kite?
                > >one time I tried a 5.5 Wipika on beach, it was very powerful, but this is
                > the
                > >problem. You cant depower the kite and I only hold it at 12 a clock, with
                > no
                > >chance to fly it like a normal kite down and fast right over the ground.
                > >regards
                > >Matthias
                >
                > I have been using faom pipe insulation in the sleeves on my 8.5 & 4.2 CQ's
                > for about a month, but I haven't dunked the kite since then so I don't know
                > if they do any good. People have told me that the tubes keep the kite from
                > sinking but don't allow reliable relaunch.
                >
                > I agree about power regulation on the Wipikas: the pull is too constant for
                > me. I like the variable power of a faster kite. How long have you been
                > buggying? What size CQ's do you own?
                >
                > Mark Frasier

                > Click for more information on how eGroups members save with beMANY!
                >

                > To: ksurfschool@egroups.com
                ksurfschool@egroups.com
              • aspartamez
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 16, 2001
                  Sorry, cant help you on the matter of water re-launching.

                  Just a quick note to say that I have never made such good use of the
                  bad weather, here in the old UK.

                  I don't surf yet, but have bought a c quad 2.2m for a bit of fun.
                  What can I say? All I've had before is a Flexi Stacker 6, the first
                  time I launched the quad was on a beach in v high winds and shortly
                  after my sholders had left their sockets, I travelled a considerable
                  distance on my knees/stomach!!

                  Well I bloody love it, just one problem though. What's the best way
                  to launch (on your own) from land? Is staking the handles the
                  answer??
                  --- In ksurfschool@y..., matthias.unger@u... wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  > is there anyone who ever use a peter lynn c-quad for kitesurfing?
                  whats about
                  > water-launching?
                  > regards
                  > Matthias
                • pksebago
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 18, 2001
                    --- In ksurfschool@y..., "aspartamez" <aspartamez@y...> wrote:
                    > Sorry, cant help you on the matter of water re-launching.
                    >
                    > Just a quick note to say that I have never made such good use of
                    the
                    > bad weather, here in the old UK.
                    >
                    > I don't surf yet, but have bought a c quad 2.2m for a bit of fun.
                    > What can I say? All I've had before is a Flexi Stacker 6, the
                    first
                    > time I launched the quad was on a beach in v high winds and shortly
                    > after my sholders had left their sockets, I travelled a
                    considerable
                    > distance on my knees/stomach!!
                    >
                    > Well I bloody love it, just one problem though. What's the best way
                    > to launch (on your own) from land? Is staking the handles the
                    > answer??

                    Use C quads for snowkiting. Easiest way to get started is to lay the
                    kite flat on the back 1/2 to 3/4 of the way toward the edge of the
                    window. Left side closest to you near the left edge of the window
                    (reverse near the right). Weight down the left edge, walk back to
                    your handles and give a tug on the right side. Kite should fill with
                    air and you can fly to the left up and around the power zone. If you
                    want to try dead downwind, you can face the leading edge toward you
                    and weight it. Apply pressure on the brake lines to stand the kite
                    on it's nose. Then a smooth tug on the brakes will reverse launch
                    the kite. Turn to one side and fly away. Be prepared for a good tug
                    as it zips up throught he zone. Good Luck
                    > --- In ksurfschool@y..., matthias.unger@u... wrote:
                    >
                    > > Hi,
                    > > is there anyone who ever use a peter lynn c-quad for kitesurfing?
                    > whats about
                    > > water-launching?
                    > > regards
                    > > Matthias
                  • jezweston
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 22, 2001
                      --- In ksurfschool@y..., "pksebago" <Patkeeley@a...> wrote:
                      > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "aspartamez" <aspartamez@y...> wrote:
                      > > I don't surf yet, but have bought a c quad 2.2m for a bit of fun.
                      > > Well I bloody love it, just one problem though. What's the best way
                      > > to launch (on your own) from land? Is staking the handles the
                      > > answer??

                      Another easy option is to hook the bar onto something substantial and plonk the kite dead downwind, standing up with its leading edge down. A C-Quad will sit there permanently like this, even in very gusty winds. Obviously, it helps if you've something solid to attach it to, our local beach (Paraparaumu, Wellington, NZ) has huge chunks of driftwood lying over it, assorted steel piling and various tractors for holding things. I've tried this with a foot long sand stake and a 3.2 C-Quad and its risky in light winds, silly in anything more.

                      Launching is fun. Just add brake line tension until the kite lifts off backwards, turn through 90 degrees and fly out slowly to the edge of the wind, keeping lots of brake line tension on. Don't turn through 180 degrees and fly straight up through the power zone at high speed, unless you want to have a laugh.

                      Off to the beach, in the sun. Damn, I love the southern hemisphere...

                      Jez