Launching the ARC solo

  • surfsup@ragingbull.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2001
      I went to the ARC website:

      ...and checked out the user manual for the ARC. You're right, the ARC
      requires very little movement when launched this way. My problem, now
      that I think about it, was that I was trying to "figure eight" the
      kite hard to ram as much air in as quickly as possible. This caused
      the nose to fold and my problems ensued from there.

      I'm a fool! LOL Oh well, you ask and learn. I probably learned more
      in the last month than most people who try this sport by themselves.
      Much more complex than surfing, or rock climbing...but I think I'm
      finally getting the hang of this. And the safety system helps.

      I was diving the kite and bringing it up while sitting to simulate
      getting up on the board while in the water, etc. and its starting to
      come more naturally. I think I can use some more skill in watching
      the ground, not the kite, though. But....I haven't been forced to do
      this yet, since I'm not typically moving, unless running fast in the
      direction of kite travel.

      I'm assuming that once the kite is up, I'm up and we're moving in
      sync, I don't really need to steer the kite that much? Just holding
      it a certain height over the water and resisting with the board is
      about all I need to do until I want to turn, right?

      ALso, when on land and "trying" to jump before, I was finding it
      difficult to get big air or ride it. I think this was due to two
      things, one being the kite is moving slower and I was not moving. So
      when I jump the kite loses speed more quickly and doesn't start with
      as much, so I don't go as high.

      On the water, I'm assuming its moving with you and when you dive the
      kite then lift it up, its apparent wind is much higher than when
      flying on land. I can't wait to try it!

      My next project: Take my Slingshot FUEL 140 and transform it into a
      faster turning kite. The ARC 630 turns on a dime but the 14 meter
      FUEL is like a D-O-G...

      I was thinking of perhaps adding some leaders to the four lines and
      pass the front leader (which is attached to each LE line at the end)
      through a pulley to accentuate their use in turning the kite to make
      it turn faster. Just trying to figure out how to do this so it can
      be "removable" to go back to the normal setup. It just turns too slow
      after flying the ARC so many times recently. (I don't want to fly the
      inflatable on ground for fear of popping a cell).

      BTW, anyone have any good tips on how to pull out the pump, then
      close the valve without losing much air? I can't seem to get a nice
      amount of air pressure in the cells.

      Surfsup
    • kitebord@pacbell.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 5, 2001
        --- In ksurfschool@y..., surfsup@r... wrote:

        > I was diving the kite and bringing it up while sitting to simulate
        > getting up on the board while in the water

        The best practice to simulate a waterstart is to lie on your back,
        with the kite overhead, then dive it & bend your knees a bit (if
        necessary) to let it pull you up to standing.

        > I'm assuming that once the kite is up, I'm up and we're moving in
        > sync, I don't really need to steer the kite that much? Just holding
        > it a certain height over the water and resisting with the board is
        > about all I need to do until I want to turn, right?

        Correct WHEN POWERED UP. If there's insufficient wind (often the
        case for beginners trying to be safe & therefore going in lighter
        winds) you need to continuously move the kite up & down to increase
        its airspeed.

        Good things to practice for riding are: in VERY light wind, fly as
        close to the surface as possible, doing horizontal passes from one
        edge to the other, back & forth, AND making the kite follow a "sine
        wave" pattern (up & down as it goes across) while flying as low as
        possible, back & forth from one edge to the other, back & forth.

        > I was thinking of perhaps adding some leaders to the four lines and
        > pass the front leader (which is attached to each LE line at the
        end)
        > through a pulley to accentuate their use in turning the kite to
        make
        > it turn faster. Just trying to figure out how to do this so it can
        > be "removable" to go back to the normal setup.

        Try to remember to ask me later, since I can likely help, but my
        lunch break is over.

        > BTW, anyone have any good tips on how to pull out the pump, then
        > close the valve without losing much air? I can't seem to get a nice
        > amount of air pressure in the cells.

        Cut off the tip of the pump nozzle, so you have space to squeeze the
        valve completely shut while you calmly remove the pump, then insert
        the plug. This & lots of other general tips are in a folder
        called "Trivial tips" in the "kitesurf" group files.

        Mel
      • surfsup@ragingbull.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 6, 2001
          > The best practice to simulate a waterstart is to lie on your back,
          > with the kite overhead, then dive it & bend your knees a bit (if
          > necessary) to let it pull you up to standing.

          I'll do that, but the field I fly in has a lot of Goose sh-t in it!
          LOL.

          > Good things to practice for riding are: in VERY light wind, fly as
          > close to the surface as possible, doing horizontal passes from one
          > edge to the other, back & forth, AND making the kite follow a "sine
          > wave" pattern (up & down as it goes across) while flying as low as
          > possible, back & forth from one edge to the other, back & forth.

          I've actually been doing that...but sometimes when the wind
          completely dies out (which it sometimes does), the kite will flounder
          and I'll have to pull on the upper TE line with one hand to apply
          pressure to prevent it from stalling and nosediving from ten feet
          above the ground. But I guess in days like this, I wouldn't be on the
          water.

          <u>I was thinking of perhaps adding some leaders to the four lines
          and pass the front leader (which is attached to each LE line at the
          end) through a pulley to accentuate their use in turning the kite to
          make it turn faster. Just trying to figure out how to do this so it
          can be "removable" to go back to the normal setup.

          <i>Try to remember to ask me later, since I can likely help, but my
          lunch break is over.</i></u>

          If you've got some ideas, I'm all ears. My two ktis are an ARC 630
          and the FUEL 140. So there's a considerable size difference and one
          is inflatable. That's why I want the system to be
          quickly "interchangeable" so that I can switch from the small arc to
          the large inflatable quickly and easily...

          >Cut off the tip of the pump nozzle, so you have space to squeeze the
          valve completely shut while you calmly remove the pump, then insert
          the plug. This & lots of other general tips are in a folder
          called "Trivial tips" in the "kitesurf" group files.

          Thanks!

          BTW, any suggestions for washing grass stains off the kite? Will
          certain cleaners damage the material? My kite has quite a few stains
          from wet grass, etc.