Re: [ksurfschool] ARC Weight, Self-Inflation

  • Dwight & Jacky
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 5, 2001
      Weigh your old Naish. The RRD is a boat anchor. That's not really a fair test. I felt the same way after carrying the 18.9 RRD to the beach and then going back to the car for my Wipika.

      Dwight

      A while ago when I posted my "ARC Advantages" text, somebody accused me of exaggerating when I claimed the ARC is lighter.  I finally got around to putting a couple of kites with nearly identical wind ranges on a scale*: an 840 ARC is TWENTY EIGHT percent lighter than an 8.9 RRD.  While discovering this, I recalled thinking that the light weight may be what helps it automatically go to zenith on its own (lift is greater than weight).

      * I'd previously based my claim on how tired my arms were after carrying an inflatable a half mile to the water & back every day.  Now I know why!

      I also still stand behind every other claim I make in that text.  I recently flew in wind WAY too light for even me (63kg) to ride (even on an 1120) & they both (630 & 1120) self inflated enough to launch solo.

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 5, 2001
        Mel,

        > Mel wrote:
        > A while ago when I posted my "ARC Advantages" text, somebody accused
        > me of exaggerating when I claimed the ARC is lighter. I finally got
        > around to putting a couple of kites with nearly identical wind ranges
        > on a scale*: an 840 ARC is TWENTY EIGHT percent lighter than an 8.9
        > RRD. While discovering this, I recalled thinking that the light
        > weight may be what helps it automatically go to zenith on its own
        > (lift is greater than weight).

        You may want to post the approx. weight of the kites you measured. The
        info could be useful to the others.

        Hung.
      • Mel
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 6, 2001
          Dwight & Jacky wrote:

          > Weigh your old Naish. The RRD is a boat anchor. That's not really a fair
          test.

          I already sold my old Naish or I would have weighed it. I would also have
          weighed an ARX (that would be a more fair test than an AR5), but I didn't
          have one of comparable size handy. In any case, even if an RRD is TWENTY
          FIVE percent heavier than an ARX or AR5 (or other inflatables), an ARC would
          still be lighter than all of them.

          AND Hung Vu <hungvu@...> wrote:

          > Mel,
          >
          > You may want to post the approx. weight of the kites you measured. The
          > info could be useful to the others.

          840 ARC: 5.25 pounds (2.39kg)
          8.9 RRD: 7.25 pounds (3.30kg)

          Both weighed in their bags, with pigtails, but no other parts (no lines, no
          patch kit, no pump, no bar, no leaders, no harness lines). There are two
          other things I feel need mentioning. Not only does the ARC not require a
          lot of those parts at all (harness lines, pump, patch kit), but the others
          it DOES require are lighter (lines, leaders & bar). ALSO: This comparison
          is really only relevant just for carrying the kites around, since (as I
          recently posted) while actually riding I feel there's little difference in
          performance (it's the other characteristics that are different).

          Mel
        • matt nuzzo
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 7, 2001
            are you kidding me? does the wieght of a kite really
            matter?
            --- Mel <kitebord@...> wrote:
            > Dwight & Jacky wrote:
            >
            > > Weigh your old Naish. The RRD is a boat anchor.
            > That's not really a fair
            > test.
            >
            > I already sold my old Naish or I would have weighed
            > it. I would also have
            > weighed an ARX (that would be a more fair test than
            > an AR5), but I didn't
            > have one of comparable size handy. In any case,
            > even if an RRD is TWENTY
            > FIVE percent heavier than an ARX or AR5 (or other
            > inflatables), an ARC would
            > still be lighter than all of them.
            >
            > AND Hung Vu <hungvu@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Mel,
            > >
            > > You may want to post the approx. weight of the
            > kites you measured. The
            > > info could be useful to the others.
            >
            > 840 ARC: 5.25 pounds (2.39kg)
            > 8.9 RRD: 7.25 pounds (3.30kg)
            >
            > Both weighed in their bags, with pigtails, but no
            > other parts (no lines, no
            > patch kit, no pump, no bar, no leaders, no harness
            > lines). There are two
            > other things I feel need mentioning. Not only does
            > the ARC not require a
            > lot of those parts at all (harness lines, pump,
            > patch kit), but the others
            > it DOES require are lighter (lines, leaders & bar).
            > ALSO: This comparison
            > is really only relevant just for carrying the kites
            > around, since (as I
            > recently posted) while actually riding I feel
            > there's little difference in
            > performance (it's the other characteristics that are
            > different).
            >
            > Mel

            Find a job, post your resume.
            http://careers.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 7, 2001
              matt nuzzo wrote:

              > are you kidding me? does the wieght of a kite really
              > matter?

              Matt,

              Kite weight makes a lot of differences in light wind or in kite skiing
              (high speed stuff...).

              In light wind or high speed you need to juice as much lift from the kite
              as you can instead of wasting it to support the extra kite weight.

              Hung.
            • Mel
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 7, 2001
                Hung Vu <hungvu@...> wrote:

                > In light wind or high speed you need to juice as much lift from the kite
                > as you can instead of wasting it to support the extra kite weight.

                This subject was originated by my claim of ARCs being easier to carry
                around. I had the opportunity to weigh some kites as you'd carry them from
                your car to the setup area (with bag, pump, bar, lines, leaders, harness
                line, etc):
                9.5ARX 8.5 pounds
                1120ARC 7.88 pounds
                17.5ARX 13.81 pounds
                18.9RRD 15.88 pounds

                Mel
              • fernmanus@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 8, 2001
                  Hung is correct. Kite weight really makes a difference. Wait until
                  you heft a 16.4. It is an enormous kite, nearly 50 feet in length,
                  but it won't fly in less than 7 mph winds. It just weighs too much.
                  A big foil would make good sense in light winds. However, I haven't
                  yet found one that has as much power control as the 16.4. Maybe the
                  new Mastair 16 will do the trick.

                  Mel, do you know anything about the Mastair kites? How do you like
                  the 18.9 RRD? I have the 14.9 RRD, it is a well-built kite, but is
                  less responsive than my 11.8 AB. Mel, I am coming to S. CA after
                  Thanksgiving. How is the wind in late November? Hit or Miss or
                  blowing most days? I am wondering if I should bring my kite gear or
                  just go surfing.

                  > matt nuzzo wrote:
                  > >
                  > > are you kidding me? does the wieght of a kite really
                  > > matter?
                  >
                  > Matt,
                  >
                  > Kite weight makes a lot of differences in light wind or in kite
                  skiing
                  > (high speed stuff...).
                  >
                  > In light wind or high speed you need to juice as much lift from the
                  kite
                  > as you can instead of wasting it to support the extra kite weight.
                  >
                  > Hung.
                • Mel
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 9, 2001
                    <fernmanus@...> wrote:

                    > Mel, do you know anything about the Mastair kites?

                    No.

                    > How do you like
                    > the 18.9 RRD?

                    I haven't flown any RRDs except the 8.9

                    > Mel, I am coming to S. CA after
                    > Thanksgiving. How is the wind in late November? Hit or Miss or
                    > blowing most days?

                    Neither. It's usually Miss or Miss (practically nothing, most of the time)

                    > I am wondering if I should bring my kite gear or
                    > just go surfing.

                    The surfers say it's better in the winter.

                    Mel
                  • matt nuzzo
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 12, 2001
                      bigger is better. the monster kite get you lit no
                      matter how much they wiegh. the naish 22.5 works.
                      the wipika 16.4 works. the north 22 works. the
                      flysurfer.de 12 works. they all get you litt. that
                      is why you buy a mega kite.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 12, 2001
                        Mel -- Take a shot. you got technical.

                        http://personals.yahoo.com
                      • fernmanus@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 13, 2001
                          I am going to put the bigger is better theory to the test. I just
                          purchased a Flysurfer Mast 16 to compare with my Wipika 16.4 AB.

                          You need more than the ability to be "lit" from a large kite. You
                          also need a kite that turns relatively quickly, the 16.4 AB is the
                          only big kite that I have found that is any good for jumping. This
                          years Naish 21.5 and 23.5 are lousy kites. They suck for jumping
                          because they are so slow and nearly impossible to relaunch. I
                          haven't tried the North 22 yet.

                          Kenny

                        • Mel
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 13, 2001
                            matt nuzzo <realkiteobx@...> wrote:

                            > Mel -- Take a shot. you got technical.

                            Geez! I just wrote that ARCs are lighter to carry, & somebody disagreed, so
                            I published the weights (since Hung asked for them).

                            You don't have to read it ;)

                            Mel
                            P.S. Can I still take that shot?
                          • matt nuzzo
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 14, 2001
                              Mel go for the handle bottle. It sounds like it might
                              help your kiting. -- Matt

                              http://personals.yahoo.com