Re: [ksurfschool] Launching the ARC solo

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2001
      Anton Potgieter <apotgieter@...> wrote:

      > There is one bit that confuses me when "reading in" on this thread:
      > > ...trailing edge toward
      > > the wind (TE facing South). Weigh the kite down along the TE so it
      > > doesn't blow around but leave the velcro opening area un-weighted to
      > > allow air to freely enter the kite
      >
      > Surely the LE should be facing the wind, not the TE? Otherwise how does
      the
      > kite even start to fill with air, assuming the main intake vents are in
      the
      > front like a regular foil? Or are you filling it up from behind through
      the
      > deflation (velcro) vents?

      Yes, we are filling it up from behind. That's what was meant above by
      "leave the velcro open ... to allow air to freely enter the kite". This is
      not absolutely necessary*, but it's nice because it fills itself while you
      unwind the lines & put on your harness, booties & gloves.

      * You're supposed to be able to stand on one tip, holding the other tip up,
      with the kite at about 45 degrees to the wind, to let it inflate through the
      LE vents. I never had much luck with that method (too impatient?).

      Mel
    • surfsup@ragingbull.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 5, 2001
        I went to the ARC website:

        ...and checked out the user manual for the ARC. You're right, the ARC
        requires very little movement when launched this way. My problem, now
        that I think about it, was that I was trying to "figure eight" the
        kite hard to ram as much air in as quickly as possible. This caused
        the nose to fold and my problems ensued from there.

        I'm a fool! LOL Oh well, you ask and learn. I probably learned more
        in the last month than most people who try this sport by themselves.
        Much more complex than surfing, or rock climbing...but I think I'm
        finally getting the hang of this. And the safety system helps.

        I was diving the kite and bringing it up while sitting to simulate
        getting up on the board while in the water, etc. and its starting to
        come more naturally. I think I can use some more skill in watching
        the ground, not the kite, though. But....I haven't been forced to do
        this yet, since I'm not typically moving, unless running fast in the
        direction of kite travel.

        I'm assuming that once the kite is up, I'm up and we're moving in
        sync, I don't really need to steer the kite that much? Just holding
        it a certain height over the water and resisting with the board is
        about all I need to do until I want to turn, right?

        ALso, when on land and "trying" to jump before, I was finding it
        difficult to get big air or ride it. I think this was due to two
        things, one being the kite is moving slower and I was not moving. So
        when I jump the kite loses speed more quickly and doesn't start with
        as much, so I don't go as high.

        On the water, I'm assuming its moving with you and when you dive the
        kite then lift it up, its apparent wind is much higher than when
        flying on land. I can't wait to try it!

        My next project: Take my Slingshot FUEL 140 and transform it into a
        faster turning kite. The ARC 630 turns on a dime but the 14 meter
        FUEL is like a D-O-G...

        I was thinking of perhaps adding some leaders to the four lines and
        pass the front leader (which is attached to each LE line at the end)
        through a pulley to accentuate their use in turning the kite to make
        it turn faster. Just trying to figure out how to do this so it can
        be "removable" to go back to the normal setup. It just turns too slow
        after flying the ARC so many times recently. (I don't want to fly the
        inflatable on ground for fear of popping a cell).

        BTW, anyone have any good tips on how to pull out the pump, then
        close the valve without losing much air? I can't seem to get a nice
        amount of air pressure in the cells.

        Surfsup
      • kitebord@pacbell.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 5, 2001
          --- In ksurfschool@y..., surfsup@r... wrote:

          > I was diving the kite and bringing it up while sitting to simulate
          > getting up on the board while in the water

          The best practice to simulate a waterstart is to lie on your back,
          with the kite overhead, then dive it & bend your knees a bit (if
          necessary) to let it pull you up to standing.

          > I'm assuming that once the kite is up, I'm up and we're moving in
          > sync, I don't really need to steer the kite that much? Just holding
          > it a certain height over the water and resisting with the board is
          > about all I need to do until I want to turn, right?

          Correct WHEN POWERED UP. If there's insufficient wind (often the
          case for beginners trying to be safe & therefore going in lighter
          winds) you need to continuously move the kite up & down to increase
          its airspeed.

          Good things to practice for riding are: in VERY light wind, fly as
          close to the surface as possible, doing horizontal passes from one
          edge to the other, back & forth, AND making the kite follow a "sine
          wave" pattern (up & down as it goes across) while flying as low as
          possible, back & forth from one edge to the other, back & forth.

          > I was thinking of perhaps adding some leaders to the four lines and
          > pass the front leader (which is attached to each LE line at the
          end)
          > through a pulley to accentuate their use in turning the kite to
          make
          > it turn faster. Just trying to figure out how to do this so it can
          > be "removable" to go back to the normal setup.

          Try to remember to ask me later, since I can likely help, but my
          lunch break is over.

          > BTW, anyone have any good tips on how to pull out the pump, then
          > close the valve without losing much air? I can't seem to get a nice
          > amount of air pressure in the cells.

          Cut off the tip of the pump nozzle, so you have space to squeeze the
          valve completely shut while you calmly remove the pump, then insert
          the plug. This & lots of other general tips are in a folder
          called "Trivial tips" in the "kitesurf" group files.

          Mel
        • surfsup@ragingbull.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 6, 2001
            > The best practice to simulate a waterstart is to lie on your back,
            > with the kite overhead, then dive it & bend your knees a bit (if
            > necessary) to let it pull you up to standing.

            I'll do that, but the field I fly in has a lot of Goose sh-t in it!
            LOL.

            > Good things to practice for riding are: in VERY light wind, fly as
            > close to the surface as possible, doing horizontal passes from one
            > edge to the other, back & forth, AND making the kite follow a "sine
            > wave" pattern (up & down as it goes across) while flying as low as
            > possible, back & forth from one edge to the other, back & forth.

            I've actually been doing that...but sometimes when the wind
            completely dies out (which it sometimes does), the kite will flounder
            and I'll have to pull on the upper TE line with one hand to apply
            pressure to prevent it from stalling and nosediving from ten feet
            above the ground. But I guess in days like this, I wouldn't be on the
            water.

            <u>I was thinking of perhaps adding some leaders to the four lines
            and pass the front leader (which is attached to each LE line at the
            end) through a pulley to accentuate their use in turning the kite to
            make it turn faster. Just trying to figure out how to do this so it
            can be "removable" to go back to the normal setup.

            <i>Try to remember to ask me later, since I can likely help, but my
            lunch break is over.</i></u>

            If you've got some ideas, I'm all ears. My two ktis are an ARC 630
            and the FUEL 140. So there's a considerable size difference and one
            is inflatable. That's why I want the system to be
            quickly "interchangeable" so that I can switch from the small arc to
            the large inflatable quickly and easily...

            >Cut off the tip of the pump nozzle, so you have space to squeeze the
            valve completely shut while you calmly remove the pump, then insert
            the plug. This & lots of other general tips are in a folder
            called "Trivial tips" in the "kitesurf" group files.

            Thanks!

            BTW, any suggestions for washing grass stains off the kite? Will
            certain cleaners damage the material? My kite has quite a few stains
            from wet grass, etc.