Re: [ksurfschool] Launching the ARC solo

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2001
      <surfsup@...> wrote:

      > Mel,

      I'm not the only one who knows how to solo launch an ARC, in fact I learned
      it from others on these Yahoo groups!

      > ...trailing edge toward
      > the wind (TE facing South). Weigh the kite down along the TE so it
      > doesn't blow around but leave the velcro opening area un-weighted to
      > allow air to freely enter the kite

      Not only unweighted, but also slack, so the opening can actually be open,
      not under tension, which would tend to keep the top & bottom surfaces closed
      together.

      > (I also reverse wrapped the opening
      > so it would stay open - kinda like a turtleneck shirt).

      If we're going to use clothing analogies, what I do is more like the sleeve
      of your shirt if your take it off while holding th cuff with your hand
      (turns the sleeve completely inside out, with the sleeve now INside the
      garment.

      > Leave the
      > velcro open so its filling with a bit of air....then attempt the
      > launch after hooking up the lines and harness, et al.

      It needs to fill more than "a bit", more like around a third or so minimum,
      before CLOSING THE VENT (by pulling out the vent sleeve, rolling it up
      tightly, & closing the CLEAN Velcro TIGHTLY).

      > If the kite doesn't have enough air in it, it behaves strangely in the
      > air in the first few minutes and the two times I tried launching this
      > way, the kitegot speed, then the LE folded over, and the kite
      > "reversed" itself. In other words, the LE folded completely down and
      > behind the TE, then the kite righted itself so it was then flying
      > where I was looking at the top of the airfoil, instead of the bottom
      > side, which has the intake cells exposed.
      >
      > Does this ever occur to you?

      No, because I don't launch the kite when it (as you even wrote) "doesn't
      have enough air in it"! (similar to how I don't ride my bike when there's
      not enough air in the tires!). If there's insufficient preinflation when
      you're ready to go, then hold the vent open by hand for a bit, & if it still
      won't inflate enough, then it means there's not enough wind to fly it
      anyway, let alone to ride with it! Make sure you aren't blocking the
      internal mesh vents in the TE of the ribs (keep the sand within a few inches
      of the very edge - you can actually see the mesh inside).

      > I need to land it (hard to fly it this
      > way), then go to the kite and re-do it and launch again. A pain in the
      > butt....

      You MIGHT actually be able to fly it for a bit inverted, by spinning the bar
      over (so it no longer steers backwards), to gain a bit more inflation,
      before landing & taking a couple of quick steps towards the kite so it
      "inverts" back to right side out.

      Hope this helps.

      Mel
    • Anton Potgieter
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2001
        Hi guys,

        There is one bit that confuses me when "reading in" on this thread:
        > ...trailing edge toward
        > the wind (TE facing South). Weigh the kite down along the TE so it
        > doesn't blow around but leave the velcro opening area un-weighted to
        > allow air to freely enter the kite

        Surely the LE should be facing the wind, not the TE? Otherwise how does the
        kite even start to fill with air, assuming the main intake vents are in the
        front like a regular foil? Or are you filling it up from behind through the
        deflation (velcro) vents? When playing around with some foils the other day
        we pinned them with the LE into the wind, so that the regular intake vents
        filled the kites ...

        Regards,
        Anton

        NOTE: The information in this email is confidential and may be legally
        privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not read, use
        or disseminate that information. Any opinions or advice contained in this
        email are not necessarily those of TelePassport (Pty) Ltd. Although this
        email and
        any attachments are believed to be free of any virus, or any other defect
        which might affect any computer or IT system into which they are received
        and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they
        are virus free and no responsibility is accepted by TelePassport (Pty) Ltd
        for any
        loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use thereof.
        WWW: http://www.telepassport.co.za
        EMail : enquiries@...
      • Mel
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 5, 2001
          Anton Potgieter <apotgieter@...> wrote:

          > There is one bit that confuses me when "reading in" on this thread:
          > > ...trailing edge toward
          > > the wind (TE facing South). Weigh the kite down along the TE so it
          > > doesn't blow around but leave the velcro opening area un-weighted to
          > > allow air to freely enter the kite
          >
          > Surely the LE should be facing the wind, not the TE? Otherwise how does
          the
          > kite even start to fill with air, assuming the main intake vents are in
          the
          > front like a regular foil? Or are you filling it up from behind through
          the
          > deflation (velcro) vents?

          Yes, we are filling it up from behind. That's what was meant above by
          "leave the velcro open ... to allow air to freely enter the kite". This is
          not absolutely necessary*, but it's nice because it fills itself while you
          unwind the lines & put on your harness, booties & gloves.

          * You're supposed to be able to stand on one tip, holding the other tip up,
          with the kite at about 45 degrees to the wind, to let it inflate through the
          LE vents. I never had much luck with that method (too impatient?).

          Mel
        • surfsup@ragingbull.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 5, 2001
            I went to the ARC website:

            ...and checked out the user manual for the ARC. You're right, the ARC
            requires very little movement when launched this way. My problem, now
            that I think about it, was that I was trying to "figure eight" the
            kite hard to ram as much air in as quickly as possible. This caused
            the nose to fold and my problems ensued from there.

            I'm a fool! LOL Oh well, you ask and learn. I probably learned more
            in the last month than most people who try this sport by themselves.
            Much more complex than surfing, or rock climbing...but I think I'm
            finally getting the hang of this. And the safety system helps.

            I was diving the kite and bringing it up while sitting to simulate
            getting up on the board while in the water, etc. and its starting to
            come more naturally. I think I can use some more skill in watching
            the ground, not the kite, though. But....I haven't been forced to do
            this yet, since I'm not typically moving, unless running fast in the
            direction of kite travel.

            I'm assuming that once the kite is up, I'm up and we're moving in
            sync, I don't really need to steer the kite that much? Just holding
            it a certain height over the water and resisting with the board is
            about all I need to do until I want to turn, right?

            ALso, when on land and "trying" to jump before, I was finding it
            difficult to get big air or ride it. I think this was due to two
            things, one being the kite is moving slower and I was not moving. So
            when I jump the kite loses speed more quickly and doesn't start with
            as much, so I don't go as high.

            On the water, I'm assuming its moving with you and when you dive the
            kite then lift it up, its apparent wind is much higher than when
            flying on land. I can't wait to try it!

            My next project: Take my Slingshot FUEL 140 and transform it into a
            faster turning kite. The ARC 630 turns on a dime but the 14 meter
            FUEL is like a D-O-G...

            I was thinking of perhaps adding some leaders to the four lines and
            pass the front leader (which is attached to each LE line at the end)
            through a pulley to accentuate their use in turning the kite to make
            it turn faster. Just trying to figure out how to do this so it can
            be "removable" to go back to the normal setup. It just turns too slow
            after flying the ARC so many times recently. (I don't want to fly the
            inflatable on ground for fear of popping a cell).

            BTW, anyone have any good tips on how to pull out the pump, then
            close the valve without losing much air? I can't seem to get a nice
            amount of air pressure in the cells.

            Surfsup
          • kitebord@pacbell.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 5, 2001
              --- In ksurfschool@y..., surfsup@r... wrote:

              > I was diving the kite and bringing it up while sitting to simulate
              > getting up on the board while in the water

              The best practice to simulate a waterstart is to lie on your back,
              with the kite overhead, then dive it & bend your knees a bit (if
              necessary) to let it pull you up to standing.

              > I'm assuming that once the kite is up, I'm up and we're moving in
              > sync, I don't really need to steer the kite that much? Just holding
              > it a certain height over the water and resisting with the board is
              > about all I need to do until I want to turn, right?

              Correct WHEN POWERED UP. If there's insufficient wind (often the
              case for beginners trying to be safe & therefore going in lighter
              winds) you need to continuously move the kite up & down to increase
              its airspeed.

              Good things to practice for riding are: in VERY light wind, fly as
              close to the surface as possible, doing horizontal passes from one
              edge to the other, back & forth, AND making the kite follow a "sine
              wave" pattern (up & down as it goes across) while flying as low as
              possible, back & forth from one edge to the other, back & forth.

              > I was thinking of perhaps adding some leaders to the four lines and
              > pass the front leader (which is attached to each LE line at the
              end)
              > through a pulley to accentuate their use in turning the kite to
              make
              > it turn faster. Just trying to figure out how to do this so it can
              > be "removable" to go back to the normal setup.

              Try to remember to ask me later, since I can likely help, but my
              lunch break is over.

              > BTW, anyone have any good tips on how to pull out the pump, then
              > close the valve without losing much air? I can't seem to get a nice
              > amount of air pressure in the cells.

              Cut off the tip of the pump nozzle, so you have space to squeeze the
              valve completely shut while you calmly remove the pump, then insert
              the plug. This & lots of other general tips are in a folder
              called "Trivial tips" in the "kitesurf" group files.

              Mel
            • surfsup@ragingbull.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 6, 2001
                > The best practice to simulate a waterstart is to lie on your back,
                > with the kite overhead, then dive it & bend your knees a bit (if
                > necessary) to let it pull you up to standing.

                I'll do that, but the field I fly in has a lot of Goose sh-t in it!
                LOL.

                > Good things to practice for riding are: in VERY light wind, fly as
                > close to the surface as possible, doing horizontal passes from one
                > edge to the other, back & forth, AND making the kite follow a "sine
                > wave" pattern (up & down as it goes across) while flying as low as
                > possible, back & forth from one edge to the other, back & forth.

                I've actually been doing that...but sometimes when the wind
                completely dies out (which it sometimes does), the kite will flounder
                and I'll have to pull on the upper TE line with one hand to apply
                pressure to prevent it from stalling and nosediving from ten feet
                above the ground. But I guess in days like this, I wouldn't be on the
                water.

                <u>I was thinking of perhaps adding some leaders to the four lines
                and pass the front leader (which is attached to each LE line at the
                end) through a pulley to accentuate their use in turning the kite to
                make it turn faster. Just trying to figure out how to do this so it
                can be "removable" to go back to the normal setup.

                <i>Try to remember to ask me later, since I can likely help, but my
                lunch break is over.</i></u>

                If you've got some ideas, I'm all ears. My two ktis are an ARC 630
                and the FUEL 140. So there's a considerable size difference and one
                is inflatable. That's why I want the system to be
                quickly "interchangeable" so that I can switch from the small arc to
                the large inflatable quickly and easily...

                >Cut off the tip of the pump nozzle, so you have space to squeeze the
                valve completely shut while you calmly remove the pump, then insert
                the plug. This & lots of other general tips are in a folder
                called "Trivial tips" in the "kitesurf" group files.

                Thanks!

                BTW, any suggestions for washing grass stains off the kite? Will
                certain cleaners damage the material? My kite has quite a few stains
                from wet grass, etc.