Re: [ksurfschool] Mel, The safety photos

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 2, 2001
      <surfsup@...> wrote:

      > Gusty winds today. 20 mph, then 3 mph. Changing
      > directions 90 degrees every 5-10 minutes.

      Sounds even worse than Cabrillo.

      > I did get lifted quite a bit (4 foot air
      > at the most once) but it was not due to my wanting to.

      Yeah, in those conditions you get enough "accidental air" that it's tough to
      avoid injury, without intentionally getting lofted.

      > 1) xstopperball - depicts the lark's head I made with the LE line to
      > attach the little knotted line through the stopperball approximately a
      > LE length from the O-ring (in next picture).

      That should be okay with Q-Power line, but may weaken unsleeved plain line
      (even if that's really a "captured" clove hitch - as pictured in my "Mel's
      Stuff" group folder).

      Here's another idea for a stopper in the middle of a length of Q-Line: get a
      CHEAP plastic ring (69 cents at www.westmarine.com # 283848, Ronstan #
      PNP52C), hold the line at the point where the stopper needs to be (to stop
      the bar from sliding too far up towards the kite), fold it AS IF you were
      going to tie a loop at that point (but don't actually tie it), & just feed
      that loop through the ring, over the end & back, just like you would if
      there was a knotted loop in the end of a line to lark's head around a ring.
      Cheap, light, clean & easy. Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

      > 2) xpulley - ...feeds one of the lines through the
      > top loop with the O-ring preventing it from feeding completely

      Slick. Even with plain line you can eliminate the front leaders completely
      if you want, just lark's head the end loops over the appropriate rings. If
      the sewn loops are too small to go over the ring, make your own larger loop
      by just doubling it back into a lark's head. In other words, take your tiny
      sewn loop & form a big lark's head out of it. Now feed THAT loop through
      the o-ring & over the end. That likely didn't make sense either!

      By the way, once you stop adjusting it a lot, you can replace the pulley
      itself with an o-ring.

      > 3) xscrew_gate - Shows the screwgate on the harness spreader bar and
      > the snapshackle between it, and the large O-ring lark's headed over
      > the trim loop. This way, with metal on metal, the snapshackle cannot
      > get caught on the O-ring at all. Should be a smooth release every
      > time.

      Looks good. I thought that's how you had it before! If you aren't using
      the safer wrist release, it will also be "metal-on-metal" with the trim loop
      lark's headed through the fixed end of the shackle (looks to me like your
      line will fit), & the open end "snapped" directly onto the spreader hook.
      Keep in mind you still need to test the release (try to MAKE it stick),
      because just "metal-to-metal" isn't enough, if the metal's bend radius is
      too small.

      > My comments: Works really well. One thing is that I plan to do a
      > wrist-activated release as you mentioned, or thicken the grab-ball
      > line with either the PVC covering or thicker rope so that the rope
      > does not flop around as much.

      Try just shortening it. It only needs to be long enough to grab. Another
      idea is fastening it out to one end of the spreader (next best thing to a
      wrist-activated release).

      > I feel much better with the grab ball
      > approach, since when I first had it set up on my wrist, with the
      > amount of line I had to leave my arms free, to relase the snapshackle
      > was aggravating my shoulder.

      You can put it on the other hand. With a tiny bit of practice it's pretty
      easy to fly one-handed with EITHER hand (& use the other to grab the board).
      Of course with an ARC in steady wind it takes NO practice at all to fly NO
      handed...