Re: Mel - The ARC 630

  • surfsup@ragingbull.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2001
      Hi guys,

      > That is usually quite unsafe (unreliable release). I'd suggest
      flipping the snap shackle "upside down" as described above. At the
      very least you should open the shackle, & TRY to make the loop catch
      on the little "bulb" at the tip. If it's at all possible to do so,
      then it could also happen on the water, while you're getting dragged
      head first towards some big jagged rocks (or a lawyer's kid).<

      Lawyer's kid. LOL. Don't mention lawyers! I'm supposed to be in court
      at 9 am tomorrow for some crap I didn't do! Arrrrggghhhh...

      I'm not using the wrist leash since the wrist leash I have is attached
      to the LE line O-ring. two wrist leashes is too much! I tested the
      release and it works without snagging on anything since the lark's
      head knot is gone from the trim loop now. It works good. Plus, I've
      been "pretending" to pull the grab ball, even though I don't
      sometimes, just to get used to the motion. I must admit, I feel
      comfortable at this point and will continue to do this exercise.

      >get or build a mountain board<

      I would get a mountain board, but snow's coming soon, so I would
      rather build one instead of watching it sit there for 6 mos., but I
      don't know how. I'll look into it. I have every tool imaginable so it
      shouldn't be an issue of tooling.

      Another option I was considering was putting the trim loop & the
      spreader bar in the snap portion of the shackle. But I doubt I will do
      this since the screw gate works fine.

      BTW, the reason I don't lark's head the trim loop through the swivel
      part of the shackle is that the shackle is too small to fit the loop
      through. I didn't think I needed a larger shackle than the smallest
      one they had - after all it was rated at something like 2300#
      strength.

    • Mel
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2001
        <surfsup@...> wrote:

        > I'm not using the wrist leash since the wrist leash I have is attached
        > to the LE line O-ring...

        PLEASE. Let's try to get the terms so they're distinguishable: Wrist leash
        is an attachment between your wrist & the depowered kite (retains your kite
        after it's been released). Wrist-activated release is an attachment between
        your wrist & a snap shackle release mechanism (in order to activate the
        release of the kite).

        >. two wrist leashes is too much!

        There's really never any reason to attach the kite leash to your wrist (just
        attach it to your harness or spreader). Attaching the RELEASE to your wrist
        makes for some of the safest systems, since you never have to fumble around
        for a release ball. Next safest I can think of would be having the release
        line attached to the end of your spreader, so when you're fumbling, it's
        always in exactly the same place. A problem with those two systems is that
        they prevent the snap shackle from swiveling, AND they prevent "reversing"
        the shackle (so it can "snap" directly onto the spreader hook).

        > I tested the
        > release and it works...

        That's still not enough. You need to actively attempt to MAKE it stick &
        hold with constant tension. Believe me, if it's at all possible to make it
        catch it will happen when you least want it to. Maybe wet or sandy line
        could stick, even if clean dry line doesn't. I don't think it's worth
        rising life & limb.

        > Another option I was considering was putting the trim loop & the
        > spreader bar in the snap portion of the shackle.

        That sounds even less safe to me. I think it would take both hands to
        release, one to pull the line/ring & the other to keep the shackle from just
        rotating when that line is pulled.

        > BTW, the reason I don't lark's head the trim loop through the swivel
        > part of the shackle is that the shackle is too small to fit the loop
        > through.

        That seems unusual (I'll try to remember to check your photos again) but you
        could always just replace that part of the trim line with something slightly
        thinner (it doesn't need to be special line to run through the bar), or make
        a small loop to lark's head the closed end of the shackle onto the existing
        loop. Sure you'd be adding a small piece of line, but you'd be eliminating
        the bigger, heavier, more costly chain connector.

        Mel
      • surfsup@ragingbull.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 2, 2001
          Okay, I had the day off for court (which I lost to the tune of $980.00
          arrrgggghhhh...) and got the photos after flying the kite for an hour,
          or so this afternoon. Gusty winds today. 20 mph, then 3 mph. Changing
          directions 90 degrees every 5-10 minutes. A pain in the butt trying to
          work the edges of the window. I did get lifted quite a bit (4 foot air
          at the most once) but it was not due to my wanting to.

          Four new photos and I got rid of a couple old ones (the four new ones
          start with an "X"):

          1) xstopperball - depicts the lark's head I made with the LE line to
          attach the little knotted line through the stopperball approximately a
          LE length from the O-ring (in next picture).

          2) xpulley - shows the modification to "diagram.jpg" which eliminates
          the extra O-ring at the pulley and feeds one of the lines through the
          top loop with the O-ring preventing it from feeding completely
          through. The wrist-leash (which as you said can be attached to the
          harness) would be attached to the Oring so that if I let go of the bar
          and pull the stopper ball on the snapshackle (next photo), it will
          completely depower the kite and leave me free.

          3) xscrew_gate - Shows the screwgate on the harness spreader bar and
          the snapshackle between it, and the large O-ring lark's headed over
          the trim loop. This way, with metal on metal, the snapshackle cannot
          get caught on the O-ring at all. Should be a smooth release every
          time.

          4) xscrew_gate2 is just the same but a different angle.

          My comments: Works really well. One thing is that I plan to do a
          wrist-activated release as you mentioned, or thicken the grab-ball
          line with either the PVC covering or thicker rope so that the rope
          does not flop around as much. One thing I didn't mention about the
          wrist activated release (or maybe I did and forgot) was my rotator
          cuff injury. With that, I feel much better with the grab ball
          approach, since when I first had it set up on my wrist, with the
          amount of line I had to leave my arms free, to relase the snapshackle
          was aggravating my shoulder.

          I'm also going to draw up with the computer CAD software a better
          diagram that is not a photo so its more easily read, with better
          comments to help others. I'll put in the options we talked about. Let
          me know what you think so far. I think its pretty good (always room
          for improvement but SOOOOOO much better than what I started with,
          which was NOTHING). I feel much safer, but realize there are still
          many uncertainties and will continue to test/modify as you suggested.

        • Mel
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 2, 2001
            <surfsup@...> wrote:

            > Gusty winds today. 20 mph, then 3 mph. Changing
            > directions 90 degrees every 5-10 minutes.

            Sounds even worse than Cabrillo.

            > I did get lifted quite a bit (4 foot air
            > at the most once) but it was not due to my wanting to.

            Yeah, in those conditions you get enough "accidental air" that it's tough to
            avoid injury, without intentionally getting lofted.

            > 1) xstopperball - depicts the lark's head I made with the LE line to
            > attach the little knotted line through the stopperball approximately a
            > LE length from the O-ring (in next picture).

            That should be okay with Q-Power line, but may weaken unsleeved plain line
            (even if that's really a "captured" clove hitch - as pictured in my "Mel's
            Stuff" group folder).

            Here's another idea for a stopper in the middle of a length of Q-Line: get a
            CHEAP plastic ring (69 cents at www.westmarine.com # 283848, Ronstan #
            PNP52C), hold the line at the point where the stopper needs to be (to stop
            the bar from sliding too far up towards the kite), fold it AS IF you were
            going to tie a loop at that point (but don't actually tie it), & just feed
            that loop through the ring, over the end & back, just like you would if
            there was a knotted loop in the end of a line to lark's head around a ring.
            Cheap, light, clean & easy. Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

            > 2) xpulley - ...feeds one of the lines through the
            > top loop with the O-ring preventing it from feeding completely

            Slick. Even with plain line you can eliminate the front leaders completely
            if you want, just lark's head the end loops over the appropriate rings. If
            the sewn loops are too small to go over the ring, make your own larger loop
            by just doubling it back into a lark's head. In other words, take your tiny
            sewn loop & form a big lark's head out of it. Now feed THAT loop through
            the o-ring & over the end. That likely didn't make sense either!

            By the way, once you stop adjusting it a lot, you can replace the pulley
            itself with an o-ring.

            > 3) xscrew_gate - Shows the screwgate on the harness spreader bar and
            > the snapshackle between it, and the large O-ring lark's headed over
            > the trim loop. This way, with metal on metal, the snapshackle cannot
            > get caught on the O-ring at all. Should be a smooth release every
            > time.

            Looks good. I thought that's how you had it before! If you aren't using
            the safer wrist release, it will also be "metal-on-metal" with the trim loop
            lark's headed through the fixed end of the shackle (looks to me like your
            line will fit), & the open end "snapped" directly onto the spreader hook.
            Keep in mind you still need to test the release (try to MAKE it stick),
            because just "metal-to-metal" isn't enough, if the metal's bend radius is
            too small.

            > My comments: Works really well. One thing is that I plan to do a
            > wrist-activated release as you mentioned, or thicken the grab-ball
            > line with either the PVC covering or thicker rope so that the rope
            > does not flop around as much.

            Try just shortening it. It only needs to be long enough to grab. Another
            idea is fastening it out to one end of the spreader (next best thing to a
            wrist-activated release).

            > I feel much better with the grab ball
            > approach, since when I first had it set up on my wrist, with the
            > amount of line I had to leave my arms free, to relase the snapshackle
            > was aggravating my shoulder.

            You can put it on the other hand. With a tiny bit of practice it's pretty
            easy to fly one-handed with EITHER hand (& use the other to grab the board).
            Of course with an ARC in steady wind it takes NO practice at all to fly NO
            handed...