Re: [ksurfschool] F-One

  • jcqlnf@cs.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 8 10:33 AM
      Thank you, Jacqueline for your fast answer . I have only a question : when
      you say put the kite at 2 o´clock ( I understand I am moving toward the
      right) while planning, is it suppose I am stand in the centre of the clock ?
      In others words, after I stand up, should I keep the kite about 45 or 50
      degrees high and AT MY RIGHT or should i put it at that high but IN FRONT OF
      ME?

      OK - 12 O'clock is straight above you. 3 O'clock is on the water to your
      right. 9 O'clock is on the water to your left. I asked my teacher in Maui
      the same question about the kite being in front of me or to my right, he said
      you really don't have controll over that angle, because the wind will be
      pulling the kite down wind. All you can do is pull the right side of the bar
      closer to your body while you try to keep the bar parallel with the horizon.
      I just try to visualise the kite to my right, and go from there. 2 O'clock
      is more important here that in front or not. Make sense?? By the way, in
      case you are new to the "clock method", a power stroke is when you put the
      kite from 11 O'clock to 2 O'clock in one rapid movement. This is what will
      pull you out of the water. Good Luck!! Jacqueline
    • arielmas
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 8 10:55 AM
        Jacqueline, thank you again.
        When you find the perfect place in Ca. let me know where it is, so I ´ll find you.
      • jcqlnf@cs.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 8 10:59 AM
          <A HREF="http://www.maui.net/~hotwind/kiss.html">KITESURFING INTERNATIONAL
          SAFETY SYSTEM, (aka Kite-Sailing, Kite-boarding) The</A> I thought you might
          enjoy checking out this link. I think there is a kitesurfing manual
          available here that explains the whole "clock" thing.
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 8 11:10 AM
            It sounds like you are underpower. Try again in slightly more wind
            (let's say 8+ knots) it would be easier to learn.

            I weight around 125 lb. (or 58 kg) and a 7 meters foil would only get me
            going starting from 7 or 8 knots (I would need my XXXL, 9.66 m2 foil, in
            6 knots wind).

            Hung.

            > arielmas wrote:
            >
            > Hi to all
            > I am starting in the sport. I have a F-One 7 mts and I use it in 6
            > to 12 knots. Although I can handle it quite good in the beach, I
            > can´t get enough power to start planning with the board , even when I
            > got waterstart, I fall on my back after a few meters.
            > Any advice is welcome. Thank you

          • Farnsworth, Kenny
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 8 11:17 AM
              It is a common problem.  One problem is not flying the kite correctly, Jacqueline addressed that issue.  The other is how your board is pointed.  You need to make sure that your board is pointed somewhat downwind and your front foot needs to be pointed in that direction.  It is natural to try to edge your board upwind on the launch.  You need to get the board up and planing before you start edging upwind.  Good luck and keep practicing.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 8 4:17 PM
                In a message dated 6/8/00 11:58:35 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
                arielmas@... writes:

                << Jacqueline, thank you again.
                When you find the perfect place in Ca. let me know where it is, so I ´ll
                find you.

                Arielmas, you are welcome! I am happy to have helped. I hope I can find the
                perfect place in California! There must be someone out there who knows!