Mel's Major Mishap

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2001
      Hung Vu <hungvu@...> wrote:

      > Mel,
      >
      > Can you tell us what happened so we can learn from your mistake.
      >
      > Why couldn't simply activate the safety leash, drop the kite on the
      > water to retrieve your board?

      Because I'm an idiot ! I simply didn't think of it (until later that
      night).

      What happened was I was riding with my Reel Leash disconnected, as I often
      do* when I'm way upwind & nobody's around to accidentally run into my board.
      I luffed my ARC after landing a big jump, & it opened inverted in the power
      zone, ripping me right off the board. I figured I'd just land the kite, let
      it roll over & relaunch (as I've done several times), & then drag back up to
      the board. The problem is both rear lines ended up hooked over the LE near
      the tips, & it took a LOT of screwing around to finally get them unhooked, &
      by that time I was WAY downwind & the wind was dropping off so much I
      couldn't even drag upwind, so I had to just drag back to the beach.

      *to eliminate any possibility of slingshotting, & to prevent wear of the
      webbing where it exits the housing (it tends to wear right there, since it's
      rubbing back & forth continuously at the same position)

      Next time I will just land it (to help prevent further tangling) release it
      to the leash (since with an ARC there's nearly no force to swim upwind
      against), & swim up to the board, to reconnect the leash before messing with
      the kite.