[ksurfschool] Mountainboards

  • Just Al.
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 1999
      Hello,
      I'm new to kites, kite-surfing and all associated sports, but come from a
      surfing and windsurfing background. I have recently purchased a Quad-line
      Power-kite (Sky Kites Predator Mk II, 2.8m).
      I want eventually to learn to kite-surf.
      I also have a mountain board, and thought I would use the mountain board
      on the sands to get used to the techniques of kite surfing before actually
      doing it on water.
      Has anyone else done this? How does kite mountain bording compare to
      kite-surfing? How transferrable are the skills?
      My reasons for doing it this way are
      1. Safety. No one else here even flies kites, let alone kite surfs....I'm
      in Aberystwyth, West Wales BTW...is there anyone else around here?

      2. Cost (I could buy a soft foil kite rather than a water relaunchable kite.

      3. The mountain board can be used either with the kite, on its own on a
      hill, or modified and used with a windsurf of which I already have a
      complete quiver.

      Any info, tips etc. much appreciated.

      Al.

      Alan R. Cole
      Postgraduate Research Student
      Institute of Geography and Earth Studies
      University of Wales
      Aberystwyth
      Ceredigion
      SY23 3DB