RE: [ksurfschool] Using C-Quad

  • Farnsworth, Kenny
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 8, 2000
      They are not water relaunchable most of the time. I would avoid the c-quad
      until you can kite surf without crashing the kite. I suggest a Naish or
      Wipika 2 line kite for learning. They are easily relaunchable and reliable.

      is there anyone who ever use a peter lynn c-quad for kitesurfing? whats
      about
      water-launching?
      regards
      Matthias

      Never lose a file again. Protect yourself from accidental deletes,
      overwrites, and viruses with @Backup.
      Try @Backup it's easy, it's safe, and it's FREE!
      Click here to receive 300 MyPoints just for trying @Backup.
      http://click.egroups.com/1/4936/10/_/60094/_/960467788/
    • Mark Frasier
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 8, 2000
        on 6/8/00 10:28 AM, Farnsworth, Kenny at kenny@... wrote:

        > They are not water relaunchable most of the time. I would avoid the c-quad
        > until you can kite surf without crashing the kite. I suggest a Naish or
        > Wipika 2 line kite for learning. They are easily relaunchable and reliable.
        >
        > Kenny

        I would agree with that, except that if you live in a lighter-wind (10-15
        mph) area and can't possibly afford a naish or wipika of the right size, the
        C Quad and a used surfboard will get you started,as long as you don't
        venture out too far.

        For sure the Wipika or Naish would be a much, much better option if you are
        new to kiteflying.

        The price difference between a CQ 6.3 and a Naish 9 (about the same power)
        is considerable - a CQ costs $365 from Gone with the Wind, a Naish costs
        1,025 from Naish

        Mark Frasier
      • Farnsworth, Kenny
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 8, 2000
          A Naish or Wipika is going to cost more, but it is worthwhile. There is
          nothing worse than swimming to the beach to relaunch a kite.

          The problem with kite surfing is that the equipment is not very refined yet
          and the cost of equipment is still high. As the sport becomes more popular,
          prices will drop and the quality of equipment will vastly improve.

          > They are not water relaunchable most of the time. I would avoid the
          c-quad
          > until you can kite surf without crashing the kite. I suggest a Naish or
          > Wipika 2 line kite for learning. They are easily relaunchable and
          reliable.

          > Kenny

          I would agree with that, except that if you live in a lighter-wind (10-15
          mph) area and can't possibly afford a naish or wipika of the right size, the
          C Quad and a used surfboard will get you started,as long as you don't
          venture out too far.

          For sure the Wipika or Naish would be a much, much better option if you are
          new to kiteflying.

          The price difference between a CQ 6.3 and a Naish 9 (about the same power)
          is considerable - a CQ costs $365 from Gone with the Wind, a Naish costs
          1,025 from Naish

          Mark Frasier

          Old school buds here:
          http://click.egroups.com/1/4057/10/_/60094/_/960480493/
        • Farnsworth, Kenny
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 8, 2000
            Mark,
            I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with you. I would suggest buying
            a 7.0 Naish 2 line kite. After learning how to fly and ride on the board, I
            would convert the Naish to a 4 line kite for more wind range.

            The C Quad option is okay only if you are willing to spend many hours
            learning how to fly the kite before even bothering to try and kite surf. I
            don't disagree with you that the C-Quad is a great kite. I just think it
            will frustrate a BEGINNING kite surfer. Beginners crash the kite a lot. If
            you buy a C-Quad, be prepared to swim.

            A non water relaunchable kite is fine for intermediate to advanced kite
            surfers. However, even the pro's still crash their sleds. I saw several
            swim to the beach in Maui dragging their wet kites behind them. I saw one
            pro collapse on the beach due to exhaustion after swimming 1/4 mile to the
            beach with his soggy Flexifoil and his wakeboard.

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 8, 2000
              on 6/8/00 1:21 PM, Farnsworth, Kenny at kenny@... wrote:

              > A Naish or Wipika is going to cost more, but it is worthwhile. There is
              > nothing worse than swimming to the beach to relaunch a kite.
              >
              > The problem with kite surfing is that the equipment is not very refined yet
              > and the cost of equipment is still high. As the sport becomes more popular,
              > prices will drop and the quality of equipment will vastly improve.
              >
              > Kenny

              Until that happens, there's always the C Quad option ;) There is one thing
              worse than swimming a few hundred yards to shore: Not kitesurfing at all
              because you can't afford a kite. There are planty of folks out there who
              couldn't possibly buy a Wipika/Naish because they simply don't have that
              much cash or credit. On the other hand, if you go out too far it can be
              dangerous.

              I totally agree that for someone who can't fly a kite or hasn't got a
              shallow area to kitesurf a Wipika would be much, much better. But the C Quad
              is a much better, faster, more efficient, more power-controlable, better
              handling, easier to keep aloft kite that is also 1/3rd the price. If
              circumstances allow, and you're a good flier, you'd be crazy to get a single
              Wipika instead of an entire quiver of C Quads.

              Mark Frasier

            • Mark Frasier
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 8, 2000
                At 01:04 PM 06/08/2000 -0600, Farnsworth, Kenny wrote:
                >Mark,
                >I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with you. I would suggest buying
                >a 7.0 Naish 2 line kite. After learning how to fly and ride on the board, I
                >would convert the Naish to a 4 line kite for more wind range.
                >
                >The C Quad option is okay only if you are willing to spend many hours
                >learning how to fly the kite before even bothering to try and kite surf. I
                >don't disagree with you that the C-Quad is a great kite. I just think it
                >will frustrate a BEGINNING kite surfer. Beginners crash the kite a lot. If
                >you buy a C-Quad, be prepared to swim.
                >
                >A non water relaunchable kite is fine for intermediate to advanced kite
                >surfers. However, even the pro's still crash their sleds. I saw several
                >swim to the beach in Maui dragging their wet kites behind them. I saw one
                >pro collapse on the beach due to exhaustion after swimming 1/4 mile to the
                >beach with his soggy Flexifoil and his wakeboard.
                >
                >Kenny

                We are pretty much in total agreement on the points you make above: A
                beginner, not having flown any kind of controlable kite before, given a
                budget of $1500 or so now and another $1000 - $2000 over the next year
                should start with a new waterlaunchable kite (whatever kind, depending on
                how much you want to be able to grow into the kite) and a new custom board
                shaped to fit your water conditions, weight, wind & physical
                ability/patience, say $800 for the kite and $700 for the board, add a few
                $$$ on for harness, etc. The additional $1-2000 is for a larger kite and a
                smaller kite later on. That would really be the way to go if possible. Skip
                the C Quads if you can - you'll be at less risk of swimming in. Also a
                beginner is not going to be able to apprecaite the benefits of a CQ anyhow,
                and won't know what he/she's missing. For someone who's used to a
                windsurfing budget that's not so bad. Certainly a lot less than catamaran
                sailing or power boating.

                If you had a strong desire to kitesurf, a good place to do it (a decent
                area of chest-deep water, like a shallow ocean beach w/cross-on or onshore
                wind), winds around 12-18 mph and $500, what board/kite combo would you
                get? Or would you not kitesurf 'til you got out of school and could get a
                better job? (that's a fair answer)

                Oh, yeah, one more thing to the original poster and everyone else: If you
                do get a water launchable kite, you still shouldn't go out farther than you
                can swim in, unless you have some sort of backup plan (like a support boat,
                or maybe some areas have lifeguards w/jetskis??). Equipment failures happen
                with all types of kites, boards & bodies. There are two kinds of swims:
                inconvenient, frustrating swims, and dangerously long swims.

                BTW, if you're interested, here's my background: 4 years of stunt kite
                flying, 3 years of traction kiting (buggying & skiing), 2 years w/ CQuads,
                1 year kitesufing with 6 months off for winter. Total C Quad "wet crashes"
                about a dozen or 18. Total "swim-ins" one - about 75 yds 'til I could start
                wading. So in other words, I started kitesurfing with quite a lot of
                experience w/the kite, and I have a good spot that allows me to walk in
                from most crashes, and the self-discipline to stay close to shore :).

                The most important points are: C Quads are cheap and high-performance, but
                more demanding to fly and don't normally relaunch from water. Naish AR 3.5s
                are easier to fly (for someone starting out, or so I'm told, I know I can't
                fly 'em worth crap), do normally relaunch from water and perform well
                enough to be of use, but are expensive. Right?

                We should have asked the original poster why he/she was considering a C
                Quad and what his/her situation is. Hope this thread is useful to someone :)

                Mark Frasier
              • kennyfarnsworth@cs.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 8, 2000
                  Mark,

                  I think that between the two of us we have covered this topic well. It does
                  come down to money. As Hung Vu said, hopefully the price of the kites will
                  come down and make this sport more affordable. I am a mountain biker, so I
                  see a lot of comparisions between mountain biking and kite surfing. In the
                  beginning, mountain bikes were heavy, shifted like crap, and had no
                  suspension. Today, you can get a great bike for less than a grand. In ten
                  years, I think we will all be amazed by the technology and low price of kite
                  surfing equipment.

                  Kenny
                • matthias.unger@unger-partner.de
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 8, 2000
                    Hi friends,
                    thanks for your answers to my question. I just use the c-quad for
                    buggy-kiting and I love the very good control of this kite insted of a
                    2-liner, so I want to use it for kitesurfing too.
                    Only problem is the water-relaunch, you told me. You ever tried the c-tubes,
                    special air floated tubes on the backside of the kite?
                    one time I tried a 5.5 Wipika on beach, it was very powerful, but this is the
                    problem. You cant depower the kite and I only hold it at 12 a clock, with no
                    chance to fly it like a normal kite down and fast right over the ground.
                    regards
                    Matthias
                  • Mark Frasier
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 9, 2000
                      At 06:36 AM 06/09/2000 UT, matthias.unger@... wrote:
                      >Hi friends,
                      >thanks for your answers to my question. I just use the c-quad for
                      >buggy-kiting and I love the very good control of this kite insted of a
                      >2-liner, so I want to use it for kitesurfing too.
                      >Only problem is the water-relaunch, you told me. You ever tried the c-tubes,
                      >special air floated tubes on the backside of the kite?
                      >one time I tried a 5.5 Wipika on beach, it was very powerful, but this is
                      the
                      >problem. You cant depower the kite and I only hold it at 12 a clock, with no
                      >chance to fly it like a normal kite down and fast right over the ground.
                      >regards
                      >Matthias

                      I have been using faom pipe insulation in the sleeves on my 8.5 & 4.2 CQ's
                      for about a month, but I haven't dunked the kite since then so I don't know
                      if they do any good. People have told me that the tubes keep the kite from
                      sinking but don't allow reliable relaunch.

                      I agree about power regulation on the Wipikas: the pull is too constant for
                      me. I like the variable power of a faster kite. How long have you been
                      buggying? What size CQ's do you own?

                      Mark Frasier
                    • matthias.unger@unger-partner.de
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 9, 2000
                        Hi Mark,
                        I tried buggying first this year, but fly kites for 10 years.
                        First I use a 2-line elliot foil with 3.6 squaremeters. Now I use a 4.2 CQ.
                        Because of very light winds in Berlin/Germany IØm looking for some bigger
                        one. Do you ever tried the 6.3 or 8.5 in very light wind? Is there enough
                        power for buggying or surfing?

                        Matthias

                        > >thanks for your answers to my question. I just use the c-quad for
                        > >buggy-kiting and I love the very good control of this kite insted of a
                        > >2-liner, so I want to use it for kitesurfing too.
                        > >Only problem is the water-relaunch, you told me. You ever tried the >
                        c-tubes,
                        > >special air floated tubes on the backside of the kite?
                        > >one time I tried a 5.5 Wipika on beach, it was very powerful, but this is
                        > the
                        > >problem. You cant depower the kite and I only hold it at 12 a clock, with
                        > no
                        > >chance to fly it like a normal kite down and fast right over the ground.
                        > >regards
                        > >Matthias
                        >
                        > I have been using faom pipe insulation in the sleeves on my 8.5 & 4.2 CQ's
                        > for about a month, but I haven't dunked the kite since then so I don't know
                        > if they do any good. People have told me that the tubes keep the kite from
                        > sinking but don't allow reliable relaunch.
                        >
                        > I agree about power regulation on the Wipikas: the pull is too constant for
                        > me. I like the variable power of a faster kite. How long have you been
                        > buggying? What size CQ's do you own?
                        >
                        > Mark Frasier

                        > Click for more information on how eGroups members save with beMANY!
                        >

                        > To: ksurfschool@egroups.com
                        ksurfschool@egroups.com
                      • aspartamez
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 16, 2001
                          Sorry, cant help you on the matter of water re-launching.

                          Just a quick note to say that I have never made such good use of the
                          bad weather, here in the old UK.

                          I don't surf yet, but have bought a c quad 2.2m for a bit of fun.
                          What can I say? All I've had before is a Flexi Stacker 6, the first
                          time I launched the quad was on a beach in v high winds and shortly
                          after my sholders had left their sockets, I travelled a considerable
                          distance on my knees/stomach!!

                          Well I bloody love it, just one problem though. What's the best way
                          to launch (on your own) from land? Is staking the handles the
                          answer??
                          --- In ksurfschool@y..., matthias.unger@u... wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          > is there anyone who ever use a peter lynn c-quad for kitesurfing?
                          whats about
                          > water-launching?
                          > regards
                          > Matthias
                        • pksebago
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 18, 2001
                            --- In ksurfschool@y..., "aspartamez" <aspartamez@y...> wrote:
                            > Sorry, cant help you on the matter of water re-launching.
                            >
                            > Just a quick note to say that I have never made such good use of
                            the
                            > bad weather, here in the old UK.
                            >
                            > I don't surf yet, but have bought a c quad 2.2m for a bit of fun.
                            > What can I say? All I've had before is a Flexi Stacker 6, the
                            first
                            > time I launched the quad was on a beach in v high winds and shortly
                            > after my sholders had left their sockets, I travelled a
                            considerable
                            > distance on my knees/stomach!!
                            >
                            > Well I bloody love it, just one problem though. What's the best way
                            > to launch (on your own) from land? Is staking the handles the
                            > answer??

                            Use C quads for snowkiting. Easiest way to get started is to lay the
                            kite flat on the back 1/2 to 3/4 of the way toward the edge of the
                            window. Left side closest to you near the left edge of the window
                            (reverse near the right). Weight down the left edge, walk back to
                            your handles and give a tug on the right side. Kite should fill with
                            air and you can fly to the left up and around the power zone. If you
                            want to try dead downwind, you can face the leading edge toward you
                            and weight it. Apply pressure on the brake lines to stand the kite
                            on it's nose. Then a smooth tug on the brakes will reverse launch
                            the kite. Turn to one side and fly away. Be prepared for a good tug
                            as it zips up throught he zone. Good Luck
                            > --- In ksurfschool@y..., matthias.unger@u... wrote:
                            >
                            > > Hi,
                            > > is there anyone who ever use a peter lynn c-quad for kitesurfing?
                            > whats about
                            > > water-launching?
                            > > regards
                            > > Matthias
                          • jezweston
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 22, 2001
                              --- In ksurfschool@y..., "pksebago" <Patkeeley@a...> wrote:
                              > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "aspartamez" <aspartamez@y...> wrote:
                              > > I don't surf yet, but have bought a c quad 2.2m for a bit of fun.
                              > > Well I bloody love it, just one problem though. What's the best way
                              > > to launch (on your own) from land? Is staking the handles the
                              > > answer??

                              Another easy option is to hook the bar onto something substantial and plonk the kite dead downwind, standing up with its leading edge down. A C-Quad will sit there permanently like this, even in very gusty winds. Obviously, it helps if you've something solid to attach it to, our local beach (Paraparaumu, Wellington, NZ) has huge chunks of driftwood lying over it, assorted steel piling and various tractors for holding things. I've tried this with a foot long sand stake and a 3.2 C-Quad and its risky in light winds, silly in anything more.

                              Launching is fun. Just add brake line tension until the kite lifts off backwards, turn through 90 degrees and fly out slowly to the edge of the wind, keeping lots of brake line tension on. Don't turn through 180 degrees and fly straight up through the power zone at high speed, unless you want to have a laugh.

                              Off to the beach, in the sun. Damn, I love the southern hemisphere...

                              Jez