Slingshot leash

  • Fritz@cabincover.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2001
      Since I've just gotten through it - I think I can add some details. I
      bought a 24" bar from someone who wanted a longer bar. It
      came with a leash, and THREE 10m leaders. I spent this Friday
      at Hat. Surf & Sail in Waves, NC - rigging, for the first time, a 10M
      Fuel...and this bar.

      1. the consensus was the leaders should be the span of the kite
      and these were long, so as to fit all their kites, including the
      18M...but left this way for my first flight using 23M lines.

      2. pick one leader - either outside position - and rather than
      attach it directly to the bar, you loop a SS ring on the backside so
      the leader slides thru the end of the bar. This particular leader
      should have a 1" plastic ball way up the other end as a stopper.
      Let go of bar - bar rockets toward kite while one line is afixed to
      your wrist. It works great.

      3. NO-NO #1: no frickin' surf leashes! I lost a nice little CA 5M
      because of one of these bastards... Use webbing and don't carp
      about a strong velcro wrist leash. Actually, take a good surf
      ankle leash - trash the urethane and use the velcro ankle wrap.

      4. NO-NO #2: don't just hook a line to one end of the bar. I
      ALMOST made a nice short one because I didn't like all the
      flopping webbing waving all over the place. Consider: if I had -
      the total differential in line length would have been the length of
      the bar. 24 or 30" ain't well long enough to reshape the kite into
      a floppy mess. It woudda just dragged my ass 'till it ran into
      something solid, or outta air.

      BTW: the newer Slingshot bars have a SS thimble guide in the
      center for the chicken loop line. They're really nice pieces
      compared to some of the more generic one's I've seen.

      I've got a few things to share about Hatteras. I'll put together a
      note about my trip.