Arc safety leash

  • jeremybuzzard@yahoo.com.au
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2001
      How are most people setting up the safety leash on their Arcs?

      I initially set it to attatch to the leaders for both the front and back
      line on one side to stop the kite from twisting on its way down.
      The disadvantage of this system is that you need to have big
      leaders on both the front and back lines (to allow the kite to
      flatten out).

      I haven't dropped my bar out on the water since the first few
      weeks I had the kite, and am considering changing the safety to
      attatch to just the back line on one side. I find this especially
      attractive since I have *never* been able to relaunch my Arc after
      dropping the bar (I find that the lines go behind the kite or one
      side of the kite digs into the water).

      Jeremy
    • Mel
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2001
        <jeremybuzzard@...> wrote:

        > How are most people setting up the safety leash on their Arcs?

        "Sliding bar" system ("re-ride" like Airush, LongHorn, SlingShot, etc.) to
        one front line.

        > I initially set it to attatch to the leaders for both the front and back
        > line on one side to stop the kite from twisting on its way down.
        > The disadvantage of this system is that you need to have big
        > leaders on both the front and back lines (to allow the kite to
        > flatten out).

        the group files. With that system, you can use VERY short leaders (rear
        leaders the same length as the center line/strap) as long as you sleeve the
        line where you tie on the stopper one kitespan up the front left line.

        > I haven't dropped my bar out on the water since the first few
        > weeks I had the kite, and am considering changing the safety to
        > attatch to just the back line on one side.

        If you really want the leash on the front, you can do the same "sliding bar"
        thing by tying an O-ring to the top of one rear leader. Personally I prefer
        a front line leash, since it's cleaner to attach to the harness (& allows
        spinning - even though I don't do that).

        > I find this especially
        > attractive since I have *never* been able to relaunch my Arc after
        > dropping the bar

        You might want to practice that a bit. I stupidly eliminated the upper
        stopper (so there's nothing preventing my bar from going all the way to the
        kite), yet I can still relaunch (as long as some well-meaning boardsailor
        doesn't try to "help", & I remember to snap the ring back in BEFORE letting
        the lines back out - DUH!).