Inflatables and foils

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2001
      Having used both inflatables and foils side-by-side in the last few
      months here are my impressions:

      1- Inflatables' wind range are still slightly higher than foils (unless
      you have the sled/foil bridle)

      2- Foils are much more durable than inflatables (a foil can last as long
      as 2-3 generations of inflatables)

      3- Foils are so fast that you can use 40 m line and still retain the
      same timing as inflatable on 30m line (what this mean is that you can
      increase the lower wind range of a foil)

      4- It takes more time to relaunch an inflatable but it is more reliable

      5- Foils are so easy to relaunch but don't leave them on the water for
      so long.

      6- Foils require so little maintenance that it would make some
      kitesurfers avoid inflatables.

      7- Foils jump higher but require more precise timing

      8- Inflatables jump easier.

      9- Foils are great for light wind with large directional boards

      10- Low AR inflatables are great in heavy wind with wakeboard.

      11- If you need more than 1 kites for kitesurfing then use both
      inflatables and foils; otherwise, you don't know what you are missing.

      Hung.
    • Mel
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2001
        I'd like to insert a few comments about the ARC

        Hung Vu <hungvu@...> wrote:

        > 1- Inflatables' wind range are still slightly higher than foils (unless
        > you have the sled/foil bridle)

        ARC's wind range is equal to inflatable's.

        > 2- Foils are much more durable than inflatables (a foil can last as long
        > as 2-3 generations of inflatables)

        The same should be true for ARCs (basically the same construction, but I
        haven't had mine long enough to test long term durability).

        > 3- Foils are so fast that you can use 40 m line and still retain the
        > same timing as inflatable on 30m line (what this mean is that you can
        > increase the lower wind range of a foil)

        ARCs are only slightly faster than inflatables, so that would be one
        favorable foil characteristic the ARC does NOT share.

        All the following are pretty much the same for ARCs as for foils...

        > 4- It takes more time to relaunch an inflatable but it is more reliable
        >
        > 5- Foils are so easy to relaunch but don't leave them on the water for
        > so long.
        >
        > 6- Foils require so little maintenance that it would make some
        > kitesurfers avoid inflatables.
        >
        > 7- Foils jump higher but require more precise timing

        ...but I must admit that none of my inflatables required much maintenance.

        Other differences between ARCs & inflatables are:

        - Lighter to carry, and even smaller to transport & store (compared to an
        inflatable with full ribs)

        - Self-inflating (while you unwind the lines): - No pump to wear or lose.
        - No bladders to leak or burst.
        - No valves to fail.

        - Easy to safely launch & land solo (even straight downwind) on water OR
        land (like a 4-line foil, but with NO bridles to tangle).

        - STABLE at zenith.
        (Eyes & BOTH hands available for any other task)

        - VERY light bar load: - NO harness lines needed.
        (not even bungees!)
        - Nearly no adjustment needed over full windrange
        (comfortable to ride even fully sheeted in)
        - Bar can be thin, light, & cheap,
        and no boomgrip is even needed!

        - Virtually NO load once released to the leash, in ANY wind speed, on water
        OR land.