Re: Help regarding safety system for new bar. COM

  • fernmanus@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 5, 2001

      I had the previous version of the Slingshot Bar. I stopped using it
      because the chicken loop wore out quickly. The safety leash did not
      work very well either. It consisted of a leash with a metal ring on
      the end. The ring was supposed to slide up the bar and stop on a
      plastic ball. In actual use when I let go of the bar the line did
      not slide through the ring until it stopped on the plastic ball.
      Instead, I had to manually pull the line through the ring until the
      kite was depowered - a real pain and not very safe. I use an AirRush
      bar or Longhorn bar instead because the line feeds through one end of
      the bar. This system has always worked safely and reliably for me.

      You can get a safety leash from another dealer. I suggest calling
      Mike Rossberg at Talon Sport. His phone number is 801-759-4162 or
      www.talonsport.com. He is the best dealer I have worked with so
      far. I buy all my gear from him.

      I hope that you can get a safety leash rigged soon and get out on the
      water.

      Kenny

      --- In ksurfschool@y..., surfsup@r... wrote:
      > Kenny,
      >
      > I did not receive any instruction with the bar, but as my post at
      > kitesurf thread shows, my dealer is real sketchy with this stuff.
      > Maybe I'll call Slingshot directly after I hear back from my dealer
      > if its bad news. I can't see how someone would sell you a whole
      setup
      > (i.e. kite, bar, board, lines, harness) and tell you everything you
      > need to start is included, without a safety leash to protect
      yourself
      > and others!
      >
      > I am interested in building one, however, as I feel it will be 6
      > weeks at the earliest I get anything from this dealer of mine. Can
      > you help me rig something up? What type of lines? Where would I
      find
      > a wrist leash velcro tab thingy? Is it easier to buy a surf leash
      > from a surf shop? Can I just put something together that has a
      > release that I can pull rather than a velcro wrist leash?

      > --- In ksurfschool@y..., fernmanus@y... wrote:
      > > V,
      > >
      > > Did your new Slingshot Bar come with instructions? I looked at
      > your
      > > photos and I can see that you have the new sheet cleat system,
      but
      > > like Hung I saw no sign of a safety leash.
      > >
      > > You definitely want to rig a safety leash. The Slingshot bar can
      > be
      > > setup with or without a safety leash. As a beginner, a safety
      > leash
      > > is absolutely mandatory. Without a safety leash you risk hurting
      > > other people and losing or damaging your kite.
      > >
      > > Do you have a local dealer or an experienced kite flyer that can
      > help
      > > you setup your bar correctly? If not, I suggest that you call
      > > Slingshot. I would try to describe how to setup the safety
      system
      > on
      > > your new Slingshot bar, but I am unsure how it works.
      > >
      > > Kenny
      > >

      > > --- In ksurfschool@y..., surfsup@r... wrote:
      > > > As a new kitesurfer who has only flown the kites on land a few
      > > > times now, I have been reading more posts and getting concerned
      > for
      > > my
      > > > safety, and that of others...
      > > >
      > > > I posted earlier what the fifth line was for in the center of
      the
      > > bar.
      > > > I took the liberty of uploading a couple photos of the
      Slingshot
      > > bar I
      > > > have to get some opinions. I have been reading about "dead man"
      > > > depower safety systems and all and would like some feedback.
      I've

    • surfsup@ragingbull.com
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 5, 2001
        Kenny,

        Funny you should mention that. Mike is my dealer, as well. Nice guy.
        My friend and I have been pretty good to him recently! Between the
        two of us we bought four kites, two boards, two harnesses, etc.

        Waiting on my ARC 640. He emailed me saying its being shipped today
        with my leash that wasn't included with the original bar shipment. He
        has been very responsive in getting back to me, I just wish it was
        double-checked before being shipped (and shipped on time), so I
        wasn't waiting 7 weeks to get started....

        Right now I'm looking for a mountainboard to tear up a few golf
        courses around here. I'll probably look on the net and buy used.

        You say the leash Slingshot provides is not real safe. Since you
        referred Mike to me, I hope he sends me the same leash you got from
        him instead of the SS one.

        If not, I guess I will need to build one myself and improvise. I'd
        like to have a safety line leading from one of the rear kite lines to
        my harness, with an emergency "detach" clasp between the two attached
        ends so if the kite needs to be completely detached, I can pull the
        clasp and let it go, completely. Any suggestions?

      • Mel
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 5, 2001
          It's much safer if you have a system of releasing from the trim loop, since
          if you can't get out of it, dropping the bar does no good.

          If I were you, the first thing I'd do is install a snap shackle, with a
          pivot at the VERY END like a wichard 2673 (easy to do a search in the marine
          hardware section of www.wichard.com) between the trim loop & your spreader.
          It's safer to have the release line attached to your wrist, instead of
          having to try to find it by feel & grab it (visualize trying to do that
          while being dragged upside down & backwards, on land OR water!).

          Here's how you do that: Tie a plain
          stainless O-ring onto the bottom end of the smart loop*, & "snap" it into
          the Wichard 2673. Feed the 2673's release line (shown red on wichard.com)
          through the "B"
          opening & attach it to a line to a wrist strap** (adjust length so it only
          releases when you pull your hand way back - it will take some
          experimentation) which you'll later replace with a "grab ball" to allow
          spinning. Attach the 2673 to the hook of a plain spreader bar, using a loop
          of leader line, or a plain shackle.

          * Better to carefully cut the tubing off the trim loop, & lark's head it
          around the O-ring (yes, it will work, just feed the loop through & then over
          the end of the ring, & lock the lark's head in place with a wire tie if it
          tends to come off
          by itself).

          ** Best to stiffen the release line by feeding it through some cheap clear
          vinyl tubing from your local hardware store, so it can't accidentally wrap
          itself around something.

          For the leash system itself, I'd install a plain shackle on the top of the
          pulley, & then set it up just like "leash-n-spin_stopperball.jpg", and
          "leash-n-spin_photo3.jpg " in the kitesurftech folder (use that plain
          shackle instead of the top FLS ring.

          With a properly depowering leash, the need to release from that leash is
          unlikely. I've used a small Fastex buckle stolen of an old harness waist or
          leg strap, & also a snap hook like the stock SlingShot leash comes with. As
          a matter of fact, if you're getting a stock SlingShot leash system, you can
          just use it to connect between the blue stopper ball (you can use the stock
          SlingShot O-ring in place of the ball) and your spreader bar. The stock
          SlingShot wrist cuff can then be used to connect to the trim line's snap
          shackle release.

          Whatever you end up with, I strongly recommend FULLY TESTING it first.

          Mel
        • surfsup@ragingbull.com
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 5, 2001
            Mel,

            I cannot thank you enough! Please look at this diagram I drew up:

            Assuming I use a grab ball instead of lines to the wrist, I think I
            understand your suggestions with this diagram. A ring at one of the
            front flying lines between the LE line and the leader to the pulley,
            where another ring exists to prevent the line from passing past that
            point should I let go of the bar and release the harness snap shackle.

            The other shackle at the leash line by the harness can be released
            with another grab ball should I need to release completely from the
            kite.

            So to get this straight, to depower, I let go of the bar and disengage
            the snapshackle at the harness using the grab ball (I will use the
            grab ball rather than leash since I feel I've been in hairy
            situations before and can handle it). This releases one of the front
            lines and the kite loses power, but is still attached to me via the
            leash to the harness running through the ring at the pulley where the
            front leaders are attached.

            I'm going out tomorrow morning to build this device and test it. I
            already feel much safer. Please let me know if there is anything I
            misunderstood.

          • Mel
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 5, 2001
              <surfsup@...> wrote:

              > Mel,
              >
              > I cannot thank you enough!

              No problem.

              > Please look at this diagram I drew up:

              > Assuming I use a grab ball instead of lines to the wrist, I think I
              > understand your suggestions with this diagram.

              It'll be okay as-is (keep scrolling down for suggestions) if you make SURE
              the distance between the stopper ball & ring #2 is one flat kitespan, AND
              that the snap shackle is "snapped" to a solid metal ring of sufficient
              radius (let me know if that isn't clear). If you're going for the less safe
              "grab ball" release, you COULD just "snap" the Wichard around the hook of a
              plain spreader, after attaching the fixed end to the trim line (lark's
              heading as noted in my previous post).

              > A ring at one of the
              > front flying lines between the LE line and the leader to the pulley,

              Right so far...

              > where another ring exists to prevent the line from passing past that
              > point should I let go of the bar and release the harness snap shackle.

              I'm not quite sure about your wording here, so just to clarify, you have a
              stopper ball on the left front line below the ring, to prefent the left
              front line from passing that point during use. You have another ring one
              flat kitespan up the front left line (or leader), to prevent the lower ring
              from passing that point WHEN (not if) you let go of the bar & release the
              trim line snap shackle. Personally I'd reverse the positions of the stopper
              ball & ring #2 (having the ring at the bottom makes it easier to attach the
              leash.

              > The other shackle at the leash line by the harness can be released
              > with another grab ball should I need to release completely from the
              > kite.

              That's only necessary if the depower fails (quite unlikely if set up right)
              or your kite gets caught on a passing vehicle (including another kite), the
              likelihood of which depends on your location. It may be safe enough to just
              use the stock SlingShot snap hooks, since they're rather easy to release.

              > So to get this straight, to depower, I let go of the bar and disengage
              > the snapshackle at the harness using the grab ball

              Correct.

              > (I will use the
              > grab ball rather than leash since I feel I've been in hairy
              > situations before and can handle it).

              But you'd written: << As a new kitesurfer who has only flown the kites on
              land a few
              times now, I have been reading more posts and getting concerned for my
              safety, and that of others... >> !!! Have you been in the "hairy situation"
              of being dragged upside down & backwards? (on land AND under water?) If so,
              you know how disorienting that can be. If not, you will, & you'll find out
              (& hopefully live to tell about it).

              > This releases one of the front
              > lines and the kite loses power, but is still attached to me via the
              > leash to the harness running through the ring at the pulley where the
              > front leaders are attached.

              Yes.

              > I'm going out tomorrow morning to build this device and test it. I
              > already feel much safer. Please let me know if there is anything I
              > misunderstood.

              I think it should all be pretty clear now.

              Mel
            • surfsup@ragingbull.com
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 6, 2001
                Mel,

                Thanks again. It seems the diagram is correct. Good idea about
                reversing the ball and ring #2! Makes sense.

                What I referred to, regarding using the grab ball having been in hairy
                situations before, is that I do a lot and feel I can go with the grab
                ball. I ski, surf, parasail, parachute, scuba, snow board, semi-pro
                beach volleyball (up until three years ago), rock climb, downhill,
                mountainbike, compete in adventure challenges (mini-eos, etc.), etc
                etc etc. Not undermining the importance of having good reaction
                skills/abilities. I've been pinned to the ocean floor by huge waves,
                had leashes wrapped around me and dragged underwater, etc. and just
                feel I can handle the "grab ball" approach from the onset.

                Don't worry, I'll test and re-test the system once done many times in
                an open area before taking the kite near anyone else. I'm getting
                fairly good at controlling the kite so far and the conditions look
                great this AM! I'm gonna get outta here and get some flying time!

                Thanks again. I'll keep you updated on my adventures as I learn!
                Hopefully no injuries...

              • Mel
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 6, 2001
                  <surfsup@...> wrpte:

                  > I ski, surf, parasail, parachute, scuba, snow board, semi-pro
                  > beach volleyball ... rock climb, downhill mountainbike, ...
                  > etc etc... I've been pinned to the ocean floor by huge waves,
                  > had leashes wrapped around me and dragged underwater, etc. and just
                  > feel I can handle the "grab ball" approach from the onset.

                  That's all well & good, but if you get killed because you couldn't find the
                  release when getting dragged into the rocks upside down & backwards, don't
                  come crying to me. All I'm suggesting is it's a better idea to at least
                  START with a wrist activated release. After you've been nearly drowned, &
                  determined that even then you could have found & grabbed a ball, THEN remove
                  the wrist release. Just my opinion. It's use is obviously up to you.

                  > Don't worry, I'll test and re-test the system once done many times in
                  > an open area before taking the kite near anyone else. I'm getting
                  > fairly good at controlling the kite so far...

                  Don't forget that no matter HOW good you get at controlling the kite, you
                  can NEVER control the WIND.

                  Mel
                • surfsup@ragingbull.com
                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 6, 2001
                    Mel,

                    Both are very good points and well received. I've got the grab ball
                    attached to a longer line which goes to my wrist for the time being.
                    Unfortunately, I think the grab ball is actually better in my current
                    situation since the only Wichard snap shackle that I could find was
                    not the 2763 model, it was a different one - the 2473 swivel eye
                    (third graphic down):

                    http://www.wichard-usa.com/Catalog/HR_Snap_Shackles.htm

                    With the spring loaded pin, it releases easier with the grab ball by
                    pulling it sideways across the body. With the wrist attachment, its
                    much harder to release since I was pulling it at an agle to the pin's
                    axis, which seemed to be creating a lot of friction on the pin from
                    the load the kite placed on the unit.

                    The wind was strong, very strong. In fact, the winds here are 16 mph
                    with gust of 25 mph. I took out my Slingshot Fuel 140 which was
                    waaaaay too big. I put it up by myself and it immediately started
                    dragging me across the field. My shoes couldn't get any grip since
                    the kite wanted to lift me. A gust hit which pulled me up and off the
                    ground. I was dragged on my knees a bit and recovered. Sensing too
                    much power, I immediately flew the kite to the edge of the window and
                    gently put it on the ground where I unhooked and began approaching the
                    kite.

                    At this point, the wind shifted abot 45 degrees and filled the kite
                    with air while I was holding the lines approaching the kite. I let the
                    lines slide through my hand until the bar came up and pulled the
                    upwind steer line to keep the kite pointed into the wind until the
                    high winds reduced and shifted back. I was then able to pack up the
                    kite.

                    The ARC 640 would have been perfect today. I only flew the kite for a
                    few minutes. Unfortunately, I didn't have the correct conditions to
                    test the safety system thoroughly.

                    Hopefully the wind will not persist at such levels tomorrow...or I'll
                    have to wait for the ARC to arrive this week prior to flying again
                    next weekend. I'd like to test what I've built, though.

                    I'll take photos my setup for you to critique tonight when I have a
                    chance and upload to the "surfsup" directory. I'll post again when its
                    uploaded there.

                    --- In ksurfschool@y..., Mel <kitebord@p...> wrote:
                    > <surfsup@r...> wrpte:
                    >
                    > > I ski, surf, parasail, parachute, scuba, snow board, semi-pro
                    > > beach volleyball ... rock climb, downhill mountainbike, ...
                    > > etc etc... I've been pinned to the ocean floor by huge waves,
                    > > had leashes wrapped around me and dragged underwater, etc. and
                    just
                    > > feel I can handle the "grab ball" approach from the onset.
                    >
                    > That's all well & good, but if you get killed because you couldn't
                    find the
                    > release when getting dragged into the rocks upside down & backwards,
                    don't
                    > come crying to me. All I'm suggesting is it's a better idea to at
                    least
                    > START with a wrist activated release. After you've been nearly
                    drowned, &
                    > determined that even then you could have found & grabbed a ball,
                    THEN remove
                    > the wrist release. Just my opinion. It's use is obviously up to
                    you.

                    > > Don't worry, I'll test and re-test the system once done many times
                    in
                    > > an open area before taking the kite near anyone else. I'm getting
                    > > fairly good at controlling the kite so far...
                    >
                    > Don't forget that no matter HOW good you get at controlling the
                    kite, you
                    > can NEVER control the WIND.
                    >
                    > Mel
                  • Alex Leonard
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 6, 2001
                      Surfsup,
                      for those of us following your safety-system construction thread -
                      yes, please do post a photo. Could you also perhaps post a hand-drawn
                      diagram to "interpret" the photo (maybe with part descriptions). It
                      would make it a lot easier to duplicate. I for one am still a bit
                      confused by the typed description - a picture might clear up some of
                      the words).

                      Mel,
                      since you are the originator of this set-up, perhaps you would be
                      willing to comment on the above posts once they hit the discussion
                      group. Just to make sure we all end up building the thing right...
                      Out of curiosity Mel, is this what you use?

                      With safety in mind and much appreciation! Alex.
                    • surfsup@ragingbull.com
                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 6, 2001
                        I uploaded two new files to the "surfsup" folder in kitesurf:

                        click on "LineRings.jpg" and "Snapshackle.jpg"

                        The file "diagram.jpg" was posted before-hand and is the hand written
                        drawing of the safety system. Hopefully, its legible for anyone that
                        wants to see it. One note of interest, Mel suggested to switch the
                        location of the stopper ball and RIng #2. I had done this which is
                        evident in LineRings.jpg.

                        LineRings: Shows the two "O" rings at the pulley. To attach the first
                        "O" ring to the pulley, I cut the extra 20 ft. leader line supplied
                        with the bar up and used a piece that I triple threaded through a ring
                        and the pulley, knotted with a figure "8" with a fisherman's as backup
                        on each end. This should be easily seen in the photo. I then sealed
                        the fisherman's at each end with a match to prevent any undoing of the
                        knot (black burn on the knots). Since the line holds 600 lbs. this
                        should hold no problem as a temporary ring attachment, though I'll
                        take suggestions on how to attach the ring to the pulley better.

                        The green LE line is attached to this first ring. The red LE line is
                        attached to the second ring, which is threaded through the first ring
                        and the second ring resides below (nearer the ksurfer) and stops at
                        the first ring. This prevents the LE lines from being different
                        lengths. Each line is the same.

                        I didn't take a picture of the ball on the red line to prevent the bar
                        from flying up all the way to the kite but I probably should. Here is
                        how I attached the ball...

                        I took a small piece of leader line and threaded it into the ball,
                        knotting both ends with one end longer than the other. I then put
                        another knot at the end of the longer end, just line the "adjusters"
                        at the end of the leader lines on the bar with three knots. Then I
                        took the red LE line and folded it, looped it back, spreaded it, and
                        threaded the long end of the knotted ball line (about an inch long)
                        through the hole and pulled it taut. This is currently how the ball is
                        held in place approximately 3/4 to 1 times the distance of the kite
                        LE.

                        Not in the LineRings photo, another leash runs from the red LE ring to
                        the harness.

                        SnapShackle: Mel, as you can see, I am using the pin shackle, not the
                        one you suggested. I can see the reasoning for your suggestion, but it
                        would take a few weeks to get it and I didn't want to wait. The
                        snapshackle is attached to the chicken loop via a SS O Ring. The ring
                        is threaded looped through the chicken loop after the clear PVC was
                        cut off (that was the most difficult part - removing the PVC cover).
                        The ball is held on with some 800lb rope bought at the marine store.
                        The loop at the end of the ball is where the wrist line was, but is
                        now removed. I will probably put it back on for a few more times until
                        I get the hang of grabbing the ball.

                        Diagram.jpg shows a snapshackle at the harness to completely remove
                        myself from the kite. I do not have this (yet)...

                        Comments wanted...sorry for the long post.

                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 7, 2001
                          <surfsup@...> wrote:

                          > ...the only Wichard snap shackle that I could find was
                          > not the 2763 model, it was a different one - the 2473 ...

                          It's the 2673 I recommend, so I hope that didn't happen just because you got
                          the numbers reversed. A friend of mine had seen my 2673, & came in all
                          proud that he'd saved a few bucks* by getting a different unit. He tried to
                          prove that it released fine, by getting me to pull on one end while he
                          released (which happened to work). I then hooked it back into the OPENED
                          shackle, & had him pull (it stuck), showing him how it can fail to release.
                          I strongly recommend trying this with your unit: hook it into the open end,
                          & TRY to make it stick with constant tension on it. We did agree that it
                          was probably still safer than being hooked into a plain trim loop, that you
                          can't get out of at all when overpowered.

                          *negligible, compared to any hospital bill, or work time lost due to injury.

                          AND Alex Leonard <abl_2000@...> wrote:

                          > Mel,
                          > since you are the originator of this set-up, perhaps you would be
                          > willing to comment on the above posts once they hit the discussion
                          > group. Just to make sure we all end up building the thing right...

                          I'll certainly try. If you don't see my response, please forward it to me
                          directly, preferably with "Mel" at the beginning of the subject line (I get
                          hundreds of posts sometimes, & may not notice another which only shows as
                          "Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Help regarding..." in my in-box)

                          > Out of curiosity Mel, is this what you use?

                          I use a Wichard 2673 with the release line fed through the "B" opening to a
                          grab ball, but I strongly recommend starting with a wrist-activated release.
                          In the past I've used MANY different snap shackle systems, always trying to
                          be as simple as possible, while maintaining what I feel is sufficient safety
                          for my particular needs.

                          Mel
                        • Mel
                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 7, 2001
                            <surfsup@...> wrote:

                            > LineRings: Shows the two "O" rings at the pulley. To attach the first
                            > "O" ring to the pulley, I cut the extra 20 ft. leader line supplied
                            > ..., though I'll
                            > take suggestions on how to attach the ring to the pulley better.

                            Here's one! Eliminate the line AND O-ring, by using the shackle that's
                            built in to the top of your pulley. In other words, just larks head the
                            green sleeve over the shackle, feed the red sleeve through the shackle &
                            larks head over an O-ring.

                            By the way, the max working load of that Ronstan pulley is likely only about
                            550 pounds (if it's a #20100), but that's typically about half the actual
                            breaking load, so it should be okay.

                            Just since it appears on your photo, I'm sure you're aware that the neoprene
                            caps on the end winders are meant to go OVER the line, once it's wound onto
                            the bar.

                            > I didn't take a picture of the ball on the red line to prevent the bar
                            > from flying up all the way to the kite but I probably should. Here is
                            > how I attached the ball...
                            >
                            > I took a small piece of leader line and threaded it into the ball,
                            > knotting both ends with one end longer than the other. I then put
                            > another knot at the end of the longer end, just line the "adjusters"
                            > at the end of the leader lines on the bar with three knots. Then I
                            > took the red LE line and folded it, looped it back, spreaded it, and
                            > threaded the long end of the knotted ball line (about an inch long)
                            > through the hole and pulled it taut.

                            While that MAY be strong enough with Q-Power line*, or sleeved plain line, I
                            wouldn't trust it on a front line of an inflatable. With plain line, since
                            you have to sleeve it anyway, you could just as easily just tie figure-8s on
                            either side of a ball, as shown in "stopper ball" in the MelMods file of the
                            Mel's Stuff group file folder.
                            *It may in fact be quite a GOOD idea for Q-Line, IF it's strong enough,
                            since it would eliminate the need for sleeving it JUST to get the diameter
                            large enough to stop pulling through the hole in the ball.

                            > This is currently how the ball is
                            > held in place approximately 3/4 to 1 times the distance of the kite
                            > LE.

                            With an ARC you need to use 100% of the LE length, & it doesn't hurt to do
                            the same with an inflatable too.

                            > SnapShackle: Mel, as you can see, I am using the pin shackle,...
                            > The ball is held on ...

                            In which case* you may as well just larks head the trim loop around the
                            closed end of the snap shackle, & "snap" the opening end directly to your
                            spreader hook. (by the way, how's it held to the hook now?)

                            *with a grab ball instead of a wrist release, & since there's nowhere to
                            attach the leash to swivel (like the opening just above the release
                            mechanism of a 2673)

                            > The loop at the end of the ball is where the wrist line was, but is
                            > now removed. I will probably put it back on for a few more times until
                            > I get the hang of grabbing the ball.

                            A VERY good idea. Once you switch back to the ball, you can reverse the
                            shackle as noted above.

                            > Diagram.jpg shows a snapshackle at the harness to completely remove
                            > myself from the kite. I do not have this (yet)...

                            You may not need it. What's the traffic like where you ride?

                            > Comments wanted...sorry for the long post.

                            You call that long! Next time just delete the irrelevant quote from the
                            bottom.

                            I'd suggest moving the black rigging ball about 4" in from the end of the
                            trim line, where it comes out of the cleat, so if you accidentally let it
                            slip on the water, & the ball goes all the way to the cleat, you'll have
                            half a chance of pulling it back out to back off from full power setting.

                            Mel
                          • surfsup@ragingbull.com
                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 7, 2001
                              Mel,

                              --It's the 2673 I recommend, so I hope that didn't happen just because
                              you got the numbers reversed. A friend of mine had seen my 2673, &
                              came in all proud that he'd saved a few bucks* by getting a different
                              unit. He tried to prove that it released fine, by getting me to pull
                              on one end while he released (which happened to work). I then hooked
                              it back into the OPENED shackle, & had him pull (it stuck), showing
                              him how it can fail to release. I strongly recommend trying this with
                              your unit: hook it into the open end, & TRY to make it stick with
                              constant tension on it. We did agree that it was probably still safer
                              than being hooked into a plain trim loop, that you can't get out of at
                              all when overpowered.--

                              I would like to add that I bought a proline seat harness which has a
                              safety release on the spreader bar. I can pull a velcro loop and the
                              spreader bar releases from the harness. So in effect, I have two
                              safetys at the harness level. At some point, I will get the 2673
                              Wichard. I have no problem spending the extra cash.

                            • surfsup@ragingbull.com
                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 7, 2001
                                Mel,

                                "Here's one! Eliminate the line AND O-ring, by using the shackle
                                that's built in to the top of your pulley. In other words, just larks
                                head the green sleeve over the shackle, feed the red sleeve through
                                the shackle & larks head over an O-ring."

                                -Great idea!

                                "Just since it appears on your photo, I'm sure you're aware that the
                                neoprene caps on the end winders are meant to go OVER the line, once
                                it's wound onto the bar."

                                -Hah! No I didn't! what a kook I am...

                                "as shown in "stopper ball" in the MelMods file of the Mel's Stuff
                                group file folder."

                                -I'll change my setup to me more like your picture.

                                "With an ARC you need to use 100% of the LE length, & it doesn't hurt
                                to do the same with an inflatable too."

                                -I read this before, so that's why I "larks head" attached the ball to
                                the line so it can quickly be changed for the ARC i'm expecting to be
                                delivered this week. Is there a way to do your setup in the picture
                                that is adjustable since I'll be using the same bar for both the
                                Sligshot Fuel 140 and the ARC 640?

                                "In which case* you may as well just larks head the trim loop around
                                the closed end of the snap shackle, & "snap" the opening end directly
                                to your spreader hook. (by the way, how's it held to the hook now?)"

                                -I don't understand, you're saying you should be attached at all times
                                in the loop? Sometimes I am not attached, but since you're asking,
                                with another metal ring that I tie on with a small piece of 1"
                                webbing. I am actually concerned about the extra length to the sheet
                                line with the webbing, the O ring, the shackle at the harness, and the
                                O ring with the triple line at the pulley. Does this extra length
                                affect the kite's flying characteristics? (your suggestion to tie the
                                green line directly to the pulley and feed the red line attached to
                                the ring through the opening will eliminate the upper extra length -
                                brilliant)

                                "You may not need it. What's the traffic like where you ride?"

                                -Right now I have been flying on land, the board is still dry. I pick
                                a LARGE open field to be safe. No one around at all. I'm controlling
                                the kite fine, though (except for the 25 mph day!). This AM was 1-3
                                mph with a 5-8 mph gust here and there. I could get the kite up for
                                about 30 seconds to a couple minutes, but then dead calm and it would
                                fall like a leaf from a tree....

                                "I'd suggest moving the black rigging ball about 4" in from the end of
                                the trim line, where it comes out of the cleat, so if you accidentally
                                let it slip on the water, & the ball goes all the way to the cleat,
                                you'll have half a chance of pulling it back out to back off from full
                                power setting."

                                I'm trying to understand this one...You're saying from the photo
                                (fullbar.jpg) to halve the distance of the trim line measured from the
                                black ball to the cleat? To accomplish this I should, in effect,
                                lengthen the trim line? I'm glad you brought this up, since I'm
                                clueless about the trim line and what it should be set for. Also, the
                                sheeting range seems VERY small to this rookie. Almost negligible.
                                What am I missing? Should I be adjusting the front lines to a certain
                                length relative to the rear lines?

                              • Suntrax
                                Message 15 of 28 , Oct 8, 2001
                                  V?

                                  Is that a Proline or Prolimit harness with the QR on the spreader? and have
                                  you actually tried the spreader bar release under full tension? i.e. does
                                  the
                                  trim loop/harness line cleanly detach from the spreader hook when the bar is
                                  released at one end while you are being dragged in the water or on the
                                  beach?

                                  Thanks.

                                  Brian

                                  Brian Wilson
                                  Suntrax
                                  Tel/fax 027 21 5560044
                                  cell; 0824656696
                                  www.suntrax.co.za

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Oct 8, 2001
                                    Brian,

                                    "Is that a Proline or Prolimit harness with the QR on the spreader?
                                    and have you actually tried the spreader bar release under full
                                    tension? i.e. does the trim loop/harness line cleanly detach from the
                                    spreader hook when the bar is released at one end while you are being
                                    dragged in the water or on the beach?"

                                    Its the prolimit kiteseat harness:

                                    http://www.pro-limit.nl/2001/displayitem.php3?item_id=220

                                    On the spreader bar, you can see the release on the left side in this
                                    graphic:

                                    http://www.pro-limit.nl/2001/displayitem.php3?item_id=235

                                    My hook doesn't swivel, and in answer to your question....no, I
                                    haven't had time to test it yet. I only built the safety into the
                                    kite rigging on Saturday since my dealer never sent me anything. It
                                    was huge winds and too out of control to even fly for a rookie like
                                    myself. Yesterday, Sunday, was dead calm winds where I could barely
                                    launch the kite and keep it there for more than a minute or two.

                                    I'll hopefully get good testing done this weekend coming up. I'll let
                                    the thread know how everything works. I will also make the adjustment
                                    on the line rigging to get rid of the tripled-up leader and the O
                                    ring that is not necessary. I also want heavier line on the
                                    snapshackle release grab ball. First, so it does not break. Second,
                                    so it does not tangle around stuff...

                                  • Mel
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Oct 8, 2001
                                      <surfsup@...> wrote:

                                      > I would like to add that I bought a proline seat harness which has a
                                      > safety release on the spreader bar. I can pull a velcro loop and the
                                      > spreader bar releases from the harness. So in effect, I have two
                                      > safetys at the harness level.

                                      That's not really the case, since if your snap shackle fails to release it's
                                      still attached to your spreader, which only releases on one side. Also, as
                                      Brian pointed out, the spreader may not even release you from a plain
                                      harness line (it was not designed to do so, only for easy manual
                                      entry/exit).

                                      > At some point, I will get the 2673
                                      > Wichard. I have no problem spending the extra cash.

                                      Good

                                      Mel
                                    • Mel
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Oct 8, 2001
                                        <surfsup@...> wrote:

                                        > > "Just since it appears on your photo, I'm sure you're aware that the
                                        > > neoprene caps on the end winders are meant to go OVER the line, once
                                        > > it's wound onto the bar."
                                        >
                                        > -Hah! No I didn't!

                                        Then I guess I should mention that they should be replaced while riding (to
                                        cushion any impact & so they don't get ripped right off).

                                        > what a kook I am...

                                        We've all been "kook's" at some time or other. Just the other day I
                                        couldn't believe it took me so long to figure out how* to prevent my 2673
                                        from prematurely releasing.
                                        * By feeding the release line through the "B" opening.

                                        > -I read this before, so that's why I "larks head" attached the ball to
                                        > the line so it can quickly be changed for the ARC i'm expecting to be
                                        > delivered this week. Is there a way to do your setup in the picture
                                        > that is adjustable since I'll be using the same bar for both the
                                        > Sligshot Fuel 140 and the ARC 640?

                                        No matter what, without Q-Line, you have to sleeve it. Using your cool idea
                                        of a "captured clove hitch" around a very short length of line*, you should
                                        be able to easily slide it to wherever you want, sleeving & all.

                                        *I think you had a stopper ball on that short line, but with 2 figure-8s on
                                        it, you might not even need a ball, depending on the size of the opening of
                                        the shackle on your pulley - just check to see if it will stop it with a bit
                                        of tension)

                                        > > "In which case* you may as well just larks head the trim loop around
                                        > > the closed end of the snap shackle, & "snap" the opening end directly
                                        > > to your spreader hook. (by the way, how's it held to the hook now?)"
                                        >
                                        > -I don't understand, you're saying you should be attached at all times
                                        > in the loop? Sometimes I am not attached, but since you're asking,
                                        > with another metal ring that I tie on with a small piece of 1"
                                        > webbing.

                                        So you sometimes hook the spreader into the huge o-ring on the trim line?
                                        You realize that it's impossible to get out of that ring when you really
                                        need to, right? That's the whole purpose of the snap shackle, so I guess I
                                        AM saying you should be attached at all times (with a snap shackle that
                                        releases RELIABLY), in which case you can do away with the huge o-ring
                                        (lark's head the fixed end of the snap shackle in it's place), and the
                                        "other metal ring" (by "snapping" the shackle directly to the harness hook -
                                        yes it's barely off-center, but you can adjust your harness webbing to
                                        compensate if you really wanted).

                                        > I am actually concerned about the extra length to the sheet
                                        > line with the webbing, the O ring, the shackle at the harness, and the
                                        > O ring with the triple line at the pulley. Does this extra length
                                        > affect the kite's flying characteristics?

                                        Yes. You won't be able to sheet in as far if you have too much "stuff" on
                                        the line between the bar & the spreader, until you switch to a "free bar"
                                        (no line through the bar).

                                        > (your suggestion to tie the
                                        > green line directly to the pulley and feed the red line attached to
                                        > the ring through the opening will eliminate the upper extra length -

                                        That length could be compensated for by adjusting at the cleat (which, by
                                        the way, reduces your ability to sheet OUT, until you switch to a free bar).

                                        > > What's the traffic like where you ride?
                                        >
                                        > -Right now I have been flying on land, the board is still dry. I pick
                                        > a LARGE open field to be safe. No one around at all. I'm controlling
                                        > the kite fine, though (except for the 25 mph day!). This AM was 1-3
                                        > mph with a 5-8 mph gust here and there. I could get the kite up for
                                        > about 30 seconds to a couple minutes, but then dead calm and it would
                                        > fall like a leaf from a tree....

                                        Actually light wind can be really good for certain types of practice, like
                                        really low passes, parallel to the ground, back & forth, which gives a good
                                        approximation of the feel while riding.

                                        > "I'd suggest moving the black rigging ball about 4" in from the end of
                                        > the trim line, where it comes out of the cleat, so if you accidentally
                                        > let it slip on the water, & the ball goes all the way to the cleat,
                                        > you'll have half a chance of pulling it back out to back off from full
                                        > power setting."
                                        >
                                        > I'm trying to understand this one...You're saying from the photo
                                        > (fullbar.jpg) to halve the distance of the trim line measured from the
                                        > black ball to the cleat?

                                        Let me try again: You want to always have a stopper knot (or ball, although
                                        in this case a plain knot would be fine) far enough from the end of the
                                        line, that when that knot is doing it's job (keeping the line from slipping
                                        completely through) there's still enough line exposed to grab & pull it back
                                        out again. Ideally, it's usually best to have one knot to stop it, &
                                        another at the very end, to grab when you're trying to pull it back out
                                        again.

                                        > To accomplish this I should, in effect,
                                        > lengthen the trim line?

                                        You may need to lengthen the line to compensate for the new knot position.
                                        I'm a little curious what adjustment system you had before (webbing strap?)
                                        & why you eliminated it.

                                        > I'm glad you brought this up, since I'm
                                        > clueless about the trim line and what it should be set for. Also, the
                                        > sheeting range seems VERY small to this rookie. Almost negligible.
                                        > What am I missing? Should I be adjusting the front lines to a certain
                                        > length relative to the rear lines?

                                        You DEFINITELY want to be able to sheet out enough to make the rear lines
                                        slack, even in strong wind when the TE pulls away more, & you should also be
                                        able to sheet IN enough to make the FRONT lines slack (on an inflatable),
                                        although depending on the model, size, & your weight, that may be a bit more
                                        than needed for normal riding.

                                        Mel
                                      • surfsup@ragingbull.com
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Oct 9, 2001
                                          Mel,

                                          In terms of the strength of the 800 lb. line, I am referring to it
                                          fraying, etc. But the sleeve of a PVC pipe will prevent that, as
                                          well, so that's all I need to do, you're right there...as usual!

                                          >>"*I think you had a stopper ball on that short line, but with 2
                                          figure-8s on it, you might not even need a ball,..."

                                          You're right, I may not need the ball. I'll look into it and let ya
                                          know...

                                          >>"<b>So you sometimes hook the spreader into the huge o-ring on the
                                          trim line?</b>"

                                          No, I meant another O ring that was not pictured that I used to fit
                                          into the snap shackle from the harness with 1" webbing. But I am
                                          going to snap right into the harness, I guess. I didn't think you
                                          were supposed to be snapped in. I saw some videos on the internet and
                                          on the "How to Rip" video that showed guys unhooking and then hooking
                                          back in. I thought that was normal. Also, a lot of guys are talking
                                          about not even using the smart loop on the other thread. As a rookie,
                                          I will snap in, though. I know, I know..."Bad rookie, Bad rookie..."

                                          >>"Let me try again: You want to always have a stopper knot (or ball,
                                          although in this case a plain knot would be fine) far enough from the
                                          end of the line, that when that knot is doing it's job (keeping the
                                          line from slipping completely through) there's still enough line
                                          exposed to grab & pull it back out again. Ideally, it's usually best
                                          to have one knot to stop it, & another at the very end, to grab when
                                          you're trying to pull it back out again."

                                          Dammit, Mel! Another great idea...I got it. Leave four inches of rope
                                          hanging past the ball so if it goes all the way to the cleat, you can
                                          still grab it to pull it!

                                          One Q regarding this, however. As I said before, it doesn't seem like
                                          there's much more than about 5 inches of sheeting length since the
                                          line is doubled-up out to the pulley and back to the cleat. So for
                                          each two inches of sheeting, there is only one inch of sheet actually
                                          occuring. If I do this, it will severely limit what sheeting range I
                                          have, which is about 5 inches MAX.

                                          >>"You DEFINITELY want to be able to sheet out enough to make the
                                          rear lines slack, even in strong wind when the TE pulls away more, &
                                          you should also be able to sheet IN enough to make the FRONT lines
                                          slack (on an inflatable), although depending on the model, size, &
                                          your weight, that may be a bit more than needed for normal riding."

                                          So how much sheeting (inches) should I expect to need? I will go home
                                          tonight after work and post how much range there is. This is a bar
                                          stock from Slingshot (er, was, before all the changes) and I haven't
                                          done anything to the configuration of the smart loop, cleat, pulley,
                                          or sheet-length at all.

                                        • surfsup@ragingbull.com
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Oct 9, 2001
                                            With the extra O ring that the snap shackle was clipped on, I did
                                            have the two to release, but now that I will go directly to the
                                            harness with the snapshackle, it will be the shackle, or nothing...

                                            Wind is blowing up this week at a steady 12-25 mph each day for the
                                            last few days. I want the ARC to do the testing. Hopefully it will be
                                            here soon!

                                          • surfsup@ragingbull.com
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Oct 9, 2001
                                              I'm pissed! I wrote a nice reply and Yahoo never posted it. So this
                                              one will be shorter:

                                              >>"*I think you had a stopper ball on that short line, but with 2
                                              figure-8s on it, you might not even need a ball,..."

                                              You're right. I'll look into that.

                                              >>"So you sometimes hook the spreader into the huge o-ring on the
                                              trim line? You realize that it's impossible to get out of that ring
                                              when you really need to, right? That's the whole purpose of the snap
                                              shackle, so I guess I AM saying you should be attached at all times
                                              (with a snap shackle that releases RELIABLY), in which case you can
                                              do away with the huge o-ring..."

                                              There is another O Ring between the shackle and the harness not in
                                              the picture. I attach it to the shackle with 1" webbing. I will get
                                              rid of this O ring and snap directly into the shackle as suggested.
                                              Makes sense. I was watching internet videos and the "How to Rip"
                                              video which shows guys unhooking and hooking back into the smart loop
                                              so I figured I should not be permanently snapped in. But I guess as a
                                              rookie, I should be. I know...I know..."bad rookie. Bad"

                                              >>"Let me try again: You want to always have a stopper knot (or ball,
                                              although in this case a plain knot would be fine) far enough from the
                                              end of the line, that when that knot is doing it's job (keeping the
                                              line from slipping completely through) there's still enough line
                                              exposed to grab & pull it back out again. Ideally, it's usually best
                                              to have one knot to stop it, & another at the very end, to grab when
                                              you're trying to pull it back out again."

                                              Damn Mel! Another good idea! I've got it. Leave some rope hanging if
                                              the ball gets jammed up to the cleat so you can still grab it to pull
                                              it. Makes a lot of sense...

                                              >>"You may need to lengthen the line to compensate for the new knot
                                              position. I'm a little curious what adjustment system you had before
                                              (webbing strap?) & why you eliminated it."

                                              Its a stock bar from Slingshot prior to the safety modifications. I
                                              never made any changes to the sheet, smart loop, pulley, cleat area.
                                              I'm concerned about the total sheeting range. Since the sheet rope is
                                              doubled-up out of the cleat to the pullet and back to the cleat, for
                                              each inch I sheet in/out, it results in only a half-inch of actual
                                              sheeting distance. So since the total distance of the sheet rope from
                                              the cleat to the pulley back to the cleat is about a foot, there's
                                              only 5-6 inches of sheetable rope there. Doesn't seem like much to
                                              me. Do I need to lengthen this rope?

                                              >>"You DEFINITELY want to be able to sheet out enough to make the
                                              rear lines slack, even in strong wind when the TE pulls away more, &
                                              you should also be able to sheet IN enough to make the FRONT lines
                                              slack (on an inflatable), although depending on the model, size, &
                                              your weight, that may be a bit more than needed for normal riding."

                                              See, I don't think there's enough to accomplish what you say here.
                                              I'll measure the total length of the sheet rope and post it tonight
                                              after work.

                                            • Mel
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Oct 9, 2001
                                                <surfsup@...> wrote:

                                                > I'm pissed! I wrote a nice reply and Yahoo never posted it.

                                                Relax. It came through, & my responses are with it below:

                                                > I didn't think you
                                                > were supposed to be snapped in. I saw some videos on the internet and
                                                > on the "How to Rip" video that showed guys unhooking and then hooking
                                                > back in. I thought that was normal.

                                                I guess you could say that's "normal", since most stock & even aftermarket
                                                systems come set up for that (actual trim LOOP to hook into). The problem
                                                is, when you most need to get OUT of it in a dangerous emergency, it's
                                                impossible, whereas a snap shackle can pretty much always be released.

                                                > Also, a lot of guys are talking
                                                > about not even using the smart loop on the other thread. As a rookie,
                                                > I will snap in, though. I know, I know..."Bad rookie, Bad rookie..."

                                                If you're snap-shackled in, & want to lock in a fixed sheeting angle, all
                                                you have to do is hook into the main harness line.

                                                > it doesn't seem like
                                                > there's much more than about 5 inches of sheeting length since the
                                                > line is doubled-up out to the pulley and back to the cleat. So for
                                                > each two inches of sheeting, there is only one inch of sheet actually
                                                > occuring. If I do this, it will severely limit what sheeting range I
                                                > have, which is about 5 inches MAX.

                                                You could replace the line with a longer one. There's no need to sew a loop
                                                in the bottom for the snap shackle, just tie it on with a bowline. If you
                                                can't get replacement line by the foot locally, & you're concerned about a
                                                different type of line wearing out before you switch to a "free" bar, just
                                                get a Holt-Allen stancion fairlead, or even just a plain stainless eyebolt
                                                to run the line through instead of running it through the hole in the bar.

                                                > >>"You DEFINITELY want to be able to sheet out enough to make the
                                                > rear ... or ... the FRONT lines
                                                > slack ..."

                                                > So how much sheeting (inches) should I expect to need?

                                                I think most stock systems come with about 8" or so of sheeting, & about the
                                                same amount of adjustment range, in addition to that (but I can't check
                                                without rebooting, since my Word software won't open for me to read my log,
                                                where I recorded the stock measurements). I consider that to be somewhat
                                                minimal, for beginners (I definitely liked having 12" or more of adjustment,
                                                although NOW I use MUCH less, even on an inflatable - but both as a beginner
                                                AND as an advanced rider now, I've ALWAYS liked a LOT of manual sheeting
                                                range - up to 24" with an ARC, although I think 18", or even 12 may be
                                                sufficient for me now with an inflatable). Now that I think of it,
                                                Slingshot 4-line kites have rather narrow tips, which limits angle of attack
                                                range (unfortunately), so you may not need that much movement to cover its
                                                entire range. Your ARC is another matter (as noted above), although again,
                                                you may not need as much as me, since I'm on an 840 & yours is a 630.

                                                > I will go home
                                                > tonight after work and post how much range there is. This is a bar
                                                > stock from Slingshot (er, was, before all the changes) and I haven't
                                                > done anything to the configuration of the smart loop, cleat, pulley,
                                                > or sheet-length at all.

                                                I didn't know that SlingShots came stock with a pulley & cleat for
                                                adjustment. You may be able to get a bit more line "free" by unpicking the
                                                stitches on the (now unused) trim loop, & just tying the end of it through
                                                the fixed end of the snap shackle with a bowline (as long as you don't want
                                                to use the more safe wrist-activated release).

                                                Mel
                                              • Mel
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Oct 9, 2001
                                                  <surfsup@...> wrote:

                                                  > With the extra O ring that the snap shackle was clipped on, I did
                                                  > have the two to release, but now that I will go directly to the
                                                  > harness with the snapshackle, it will be the shackle, or nothing...

                                                  Most inflatable riders still use a solid "main" harness line on the bar*, to
                                                  ride with a locked in, fixed sheeting angle, so if you're hooked into it,
                                                  you'd need a harness hook that's able to release from that line, if you want
                                                  to be able to safely exit while hooked into it. Did that make sense?

                                                  *which is what I thought you were referring to when you wrote about using
                                                  the spreader's release to get out of the harness line.