Re: RRD Type 4 11.9

  • fernmanus@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 26, 2001
      Scott,

      Yesterday, I flew the RRD 11.9 and the Wipika Airblast 8.4. I used
      the 11.9 for an hour and the 8.4 for 2 hours. I was riding a 142 cm
      picklefork and I weigh 175 LBS. The wind was averaging 20 mph
      gusting to 30. It was enough wind for me to jump 30 feet plus in the
      gusts, but when the wind was at 20 it was only good enough for small
      jumps (5 - 10 ft). I doubt I could plane on my small board if the
      wind was less than 17, unless I was really working the kite. If I
      had a big board, like my 181 Litewave, I could probably get on a
      plane with either kite in 14 - 15 mph winds.

      The 11.9 generates a little more power than the 8.4, but the 8.4 is a
      faster turning kite. If I were to recommend one to a beginner, I
      would recommend the 11.9. In 10 - 15 mph winds and a weight of 205,
      an 11.9 might generate enough power to plane if you are on a big
      board like a Bic 215. However considering your size, I would highly
      recommend the RRD 14.9 over the 11.9. I just don't think the 11.9
      has enough power for a guy your size in such light winds. However,
      if I recall correctly you talked about buying a kite for just body
      dragging and flying. If that is still the case, you can't go wrong
      with the RRD 11.9 or a Wipika AB 8.4 or a Wipika FreeAir 8.9 or a
      Naish 11.5 ARX for that matter.

      I like the construction of the RRD kites. They appear to be more
      durable than a Naish or Wipika.

      My last bit of advice is don't fret too much. I promise that the
      kites I mentioned above are all good kites. Buy a kite and get out
      on the water. Now is a good time to buy. There are a lot of
      closeouts this time of year. Check out iwindsurf.com for good deals
      on new and used kites.

      Kenny