Re: How is the new Arc lately?

  • hungvu@netcom.ca
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 24, 2001
      --- In ksurfschool@y..., Mel <kitebord@p...> wrote:
      > > 1- How do you effectively solo launch a new Arc?
      >
      > Same as the "old" ARC, as far as I know: Sand the TE as you unroll
      it with
      > the span perpendicular to the wind, "reverse" the TE vent into the
      inside,
      > allowing it to inflate while you unroll your lines, close the
      Velcro, hook
      > into the trim line, grab the rear leaders about a foot above the
      bar (nice
      > to have a knot there for grip), walk back to tension the front
      lines, & pull
      > in on the leaders only as needed to keep it going straight up at a
      slow
      > enough speed to prevent being lifted or dragged. Much easier done
      than said
      > !

      How about side launch like inflatable? Which way is easier?

      > > 5- Does the new Arc come with bar & lines?
      >
      > No. You can use any inflatable sled setup by just adding some
      knots on the
      > leader(s) to make the back lines a few inches shorter than the
      fronts, when
      > sheeted all the way in. See below for adjustment, & instructions
      on easily
      > making your own, better system (requiring only drilling &
      hacksawing
      > "skills").

      Making the front leader a few inches longer is easy. Why the new
      system is better (I have yet fully read it)?

      Statistically, how easy is it to water-relaunch an Arc compare to an
      AR5 (just for comparison, foils relaunch easier statistically)

      What size of Arc is comparable to AR5 11.5 ?

      Hung.
    • Mel
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 24, 2001
        <hungvu@...> wrote:

        > How about side launch like inflatable? Which way is easier?

        Some say side launch is even easier: Sand one tip, let the rest blow
        straight downwind on it's back, sit down & twist the Velcro TE opening 90
        degrees, so it scoops up the wind for 20 seconds to 2 minutes (depending on
        windspeed & kite size - more air to fill a bigger kite, & lighter wind when
        using that bigger kite too), sand the TE of the downwind tip, then go to the
        bar & it's just like an inflatable (except that if you launch it from behind
        the edge, you can just brake it to keep it from shooting forward).

        > Making the front leader a few inches longer is easy. Why the new
        > system is better (I have yet fully read it)?

        Smaller, lighter bar & rear lines, "free" bar for frictionless sheeting
        while steering (or steering while sheeting!), & no harness lines to get in
        the way.

        > Statistically, how easy is it to water-relaunch an Arc compare to an
        > AR5 (just for comparison, foils relaunch easier statistically)

        ARC takes less skill & less effort to relaunch than an AR5. I've never
        relaunched a foil, but I've watched them, & they seem very much like ARCs in
        that regard.

        > What size of Arc is comparable to AR5 11.5 ?

        ARCs seem to have about the same wind range as an AR5 with the same REAL
        FLAT area. An 11.5AR5 really has about 12.4 flat, so if a 1240 ARC was made
        that would be the same. That's in between the current ARC production size
        of 1120 & the soon-to-be-released production size of 1410. The 1120 will
        have a little less low end than an 11.5, but more top end. If you wait for
        a 1410 you could remove some center cell(s), or portions of them, to
        customize the size (can't do THAT with an inflatable).

        Mel
      • hungvu@netcom.ca
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 24, 2001
          --- In ksurfschool@y..., Mel <kitebord@p...> wrote:
          > have a little less low end than an 11.5, but more top end. If you
          wait for
          > a 1410 you could remove some center cell(s), or portions of them,
          > customize the size (can't do THAT with an inflatable).

          How smaller can one make the 1410?

          Hung.
        • Mel
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 24, 2001
            <hungvu@...> wrote:

            > How smaller can one make the 1410?

            A professional repair person can fairly easily make any ARC pretty much as
            small as you want, by simply removing material from the center, sewing it
            back together, & making two Velcro flaps on either side of the center (if
            you end up with a rib there).

            For example, you'll see my Excel chart shows the area of a wedged 1120 would
            be about 1107, & then removing the center cell (while taking the wedge out
            of the adjacent cells) brings it down to about 1019. I've been told that
            the 1410 has the same chord as the 1120. The 1410 will have the wedge
            "built in" from the factory so if you had the center cell removed it would
            be about 1322 (IF the cells are also the same width as the 1120). The other
            way to figure it would be to say if you want to reduce a 1410 down to the
            size of an 11.5AR5 (which is really 12.4) you'd need to remove 1.7 sq. m.
            Since the center chord is supposed to be 2.2 m, like the 1120, you'd need to
            have 0.77m (77cm) removed.