Newer kite mis-conceptions

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2001
      Just some notes about newer kites I noticed while thinking about
      upgrading my AR5s:

      "newer kites are always better for you":
      - Some foil flyers I talked to frequently prefer some older foils over
      the newer ones.
      - My 3 year old XXXL is still my favorite light wind kite.
      - My 3 year old Wipika Classic 3.5 is still my favorite high wind kite.

      "newer kites are always lighter":
      - My AR5s are not lighter than my Wipika Classics
      - According to published specs, some newer generation of inflatables
      are heavier than the AR5s.
      - My 3 year old XXXL is still the lightest kite (per projected square
      surface) I use

      The moral:
      - It's OK to use older kites (I went upwind and jumped on the Wipika
      Classic 5.0 before upgrading to AR5 5.5)
      - It's OK to buy newer kites, just make sure you fully understand WHY a
      newer kite is better for YOU.