RE: [ksurfschool] Lite Air

  • Farnsworth, Kenny
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6 1:43 PM
      Tom,

      I am also new to the sport, but I have had plenty of experience relaunching
      Naish Kites. One point that I wish to emphasize is to make sure that the
      leading edge is fully inflated. If you see it fold in half on the water, it
      is not inflated properly and will be difficult to relaunch. When the kite
      doesn't want to launch and keeps falling back to the water, the wind has
      most likely died to the point that you can't relaunch. The best way to get
      back to land is to wind up your lines onto your control bar and hold onto
      each tip of the kite (forming a C) and point the leading edge towards shore.
      If there is enough wind, you will be gradually blown towards the shore. If
      the wind completely dies, deflate the leading edge, roll up the kite placing
      it on top of your board and start kicking towards the shore.

      A 4 line kite is actually more difficult to relaunch. A 4 line kite gives
      you more control over the power of the kite allowing you to continue flying
      in a wider range of wind speeds.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6 11:42 PM
        Hi Rigbig,
        it seems to be a size-problem. If you had to pump your kite to launch, the
        kite is to small for the actual windforce. You have to take a bigger kite.
        regards
        Matthias

        > Newbie needs help; when the wind has let up, I find the only way to get
        > the Naish (AR 3.5) to water launch is to pump it off the water. But
        > then it is so low to the water and so far to the edge of the power
        > window (and lacking in lift), That when I try to turn it tenderly to
        > rise, it drifts back and down, touching the water and killing it. How
        > do I finesse this so I can get back to land. I'm still sailing in two
        > line mode. Is that part of it, and when should I switch to 4 line.
        > Thanks, Rigbig

        > Free @Backup service! Click here for your free trial of @Backup.
        > @Backup is the most convenient way to securely protect and access
        > your files online. Try it now and receive 300 MyPoints.
        >

        > To: ksurfschool@egroups.com
      • paul menta
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 7 5:44 AM
          first thing i have found with these kites is when the wind gets lite and the
          kite is floating in the water,i turn the bar hard in one direction and then
          the other way to see which side of the window has better pull.when i find
          this out, i bring the kite to that side[some times in lite winds i put a
          twist in the line,spin the bar] and just before i get to where the pull
          starts i swim towards the kite so it will fall backwards a bit,as the kite
          now starts to roll to launch,pull on the top line to get it up in the air
          AND TRY TO DRIVE IT UP ON AN ANGLE TO THE OTHER SIDE,your angle is important
          in lite winds,to much it stalls,just enough and the angle helps build some
          speed to get it up high. when you launch it too far to the edge of the
          window in lite air,it just runs out of power at the edge and dies.

          hope that helps paul