[ksurfschool] Newbie

  • Paul Sexstone
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 11, 1999
      well i can now say im joining the ranks of kitesurfers..

      i have a peterlynn foil-less foil board and took it out for the first time
      on wednesday.. what a disaster.

      ive never used a kite in the water befor, and have kited & buggied for about
      6 months.

      i expected to have some difficulty but not as much as i did.
      I realised that i needed to get used to the difference between using the
      kite on land and on water... which was much greater thn i expected.

      i decided to have a go just body-dragging yesterday and had GREAT fun doing
      that.

      the board will get another go in the next day or two.

      i realise now that : you need LOTS of power, much more than i would normally
      use to buggy. where a 4.2 c-qaud would normally have been reaching its upper
      limit for bugyging.. i should have been using a 6.3 to surf with..

      note, i only have Peter Lynn gear. foilboard, 1.6,3.2,4.2,6.3 c-quads
      im 230 lbs
    • TeamSobaco@prtc.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2001
        Happy New year and Good Winds everybody.

        Ok I need advice they say my wind is typically 10-20 knots daily.
        I weigh 185lbs I have a mad sick deal on a Naish AR5 9.5 and a F
        one xs80 dirrectional. First of all is this the right kite for my
        winds and second rate this equipment for me is it the kind stuff and
        last do I really need lessons? I have always learned on my own
        Skiing Snowboarding wakeboarding skateboarding for over 15 years
      • chandler@gunderlandmarine.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 11 9:04 AM
          I have enjoyed and learned from all the information from
          these posts and have decided to take lessons and see for
          myself. I have been windsurfing for about 20 years and I
          am in good shape for my age (60). I would appreciate any
          comments from anyone with experience or exposure to someone
          my age taking up the sport and any precautions that may
          be advised.
          Bob Beach
          ccbeach5280
        • Tom Rolf
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 11 6:07 PM
            You can do it!
            I took it up a few years ago when I was 59. It is much easier to learn
            then windsurfing , and a lot more fun and exciting. But a lot can go
            wrong, and old bodes mend slow. I find learning new sports at an
            advanced age, the brain is much more involved, (it doesn't just come
            naturally, like the old days). Definitely take lessons you will save a
            lot of time, and wear and tear on equipment, and have a better idea what
            to buy.

            chandler@... wrote:

            >I have enjoyed and learned from all the information from
            >these posts and have decided to take lessons and see for
            >myself. I have been windsurfing for about 20 years and I
            >am in good shape for my age (60). I would appreciate any
            >comments from anyone with experience or exposure to someone
            >my age taking up the sport and any precautions that may
            >be advised.
            >Bob Beach
            >ccbeach5280

          • Kite Power (Sydney)
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 11 6:16 PM
              Hi Bob
              I'm not as wise (read "old") as you mate, but I'm still 48 and love to kite when I can. The main thing to focus on is KITE CONTROL, and that is only aquired by flying them.
              Get a trainer kite before you take the lesson, you will get much better value for a lesson if you are already very familiar with the control of a 2 line foil type or framed stunt kite, foils about 1.5 to 2.0M kites are best, set up to fly on a bar.
              Ozone Imp, or Little Devil 1.5M, Flexifoil 1.5 or 2.5 Bullets (awesome kites), are some of the best flying trainer kites.
              Do lots of body dragging before attempting to ride a board, make sure you know 100% how to re-launch your kite, before you try the board. Wear an impact vest and helmet at all times while learning, and preferably all the time anyway.
              Always use a sliding bar type leash on a 4 lined kite.
              Never go out alone, or without an observer on the beach.
              If you have any lower back pain or old injurys, always use a seat harness designed for kiteboarding.
              Get advice from people that actually kite, and preferably from people closer to your age, like me! :-)
              Have fun, but always have plan B worked out before you launch any large kite.
              http://www.kitepower.com.au

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 11 10:17 PM
                I'm 65 - also windsurfed since '79. I love it - can't get enough - have 5 kites and 5 boards. Often kite 2 or 3 sessions a day. The adrenaline is tenfold more than windsurfing. Since it is lifting you, it is less strenuous. I've a ton of windsurfing equipment but rarely use - like when the wind is over 25mph. I live on the Gulf of Mexico and kiting in the waves is easier, more fun and much cheaper ( no broken equipment). And it takes less wind to plane.
                Advise - find a good instructor and take lessons. This sport can dangerous - especially at first. Things happen fast and if you have to think about what to do, it is probably too late. Take it slow - start with low winds and nibble at higher winds. I use wake style boards. Get at least 2 kites - a 12 sq. m. and a 18 - 20. Inflatable - Naish/Wipica type and low aspect at first is more forgiving. The state of the art video I think is "How to Rip".

                I race Hobie 20s in Panama City, Florida with a Scott Beach. Any relation? Where are you?

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 12 6:52 AM
                  Thank you Tom for the comments and encouragement, I agree the
                  analytical side is kicking in a little stronger than the
                  adventurous side; but I have to try it. I have lessons
                  scheduled for the 18th. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

                  Bob
                • chandler@gunderlandmarine.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 12 7:02 AM
                    Hi Rick!

                    Thanks for the information; you have encouraged me to go for
                    it! I'll keep in touch and let you know how it goes. I am in
                    Corpus Christi, just west of you; sail (or kite) on over. No
                    relation to Scott Beach.

                    Bob Beach
                  • chandler@gunderlandmarine.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 12 7:10 AM
                      Thank you Steve for your comments and especially the safety
                      tips. I have been flying a training kite for some time now it
                      is an Air Rush 2.0 and have acquired the basic skills. Great
                      to hear from someone so far away; I am in Corpus Christi,
                      Texas on the Gulf of Mexico, great sailing places- come see
                      us.

                      Bob Beach
                    • David Alger
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 12 11:46 AM
                        Lots of us greys lurking here. I've been trying to get good at
                        windsurfing for about 9 short New England summers, thought
                        kitesurfing looked like more fun and easier. Taught myself last
                        summer, very cautiously, with luck, no accidents. Got up on the
                        board for a couple of seconds. This March I went to Cabarete in the
                        Dominican Republic for four days to nail it, but surprisingly with
                        instruction I did not progress much. That first ride is tough,
                        unless you wakeboard. Powering the kite correctly while riding for
                        the first time has been tricky.

                        I've never hurt myself windsurfing, maybe luck. I have been pulled
                        up the beach launching when I did not position myself correctly with
                        a helper (I was used to self-launching). Also been slammed into the
                        water by a powered up kite, snapping my neck pretty hard when my
                        helmet hit the water. Kite power is awesome, probably because you
                        can't just let go of the boom. It is more dangerous, but at our age
                        we are going to be damn careful. Just bought an Ocean Rodeo bar with
                        push away quick release... Great to hear from all you guys.
                      • Remtgnow@AOL.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 12 12:16 PM
                          bob, welcome to kitesurfing!
                          I'm 56 yrs old adn still not grown up so my young kiting friends tell me.
                          I've been flying traction kites for about 5 years.
                          started w/open cell foils and a buggy/then skiis for the winter and now
                          inflatables for about 3 seasons now.
                          Here's my 2 cents.
                          go for it.
                          The newer equip is so much better and now there is certified instruction. I
                          had to learn the hard way.
                          learn safety first!!!
                          Less stress on the knees than windsurfing.
                          that background willl really only help with wind knowledge. It's really
                          closer to wakeoarding or water skiing.
                          The load on the legs is probably more.
                          I'm not sure that it's harder on the body. it is more dangerous!!!! bad
                          things can happen really fast but you can limit most of the potential problems
                          thru safety.
                          take a lesson.

                          Phil Burke

                        • chandler@gunderlandmarine.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 12 1:49 PM
                            Thanks David and Phil,

                            More of us out there than I thought. It seems safety is the
                            big message I am getting from everyone. I am taking lessons
                            next week with a PASA certified school and I am certain the
                            relative safety issues will be addressed. I will let you know
                            how the lessons go.

                            Thanks again y'all.

                            Bob Beach
                          • Tom Rolf
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 12 3:13 PM
                              Speaking of safety, Rick has done the kite community a great service,
                              in compiling a collection of what can go wrong.
                              Better to learn from a vicarious accident, rather than the real thing.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 12 7:28 PM
                                G'day Bob

                                I would love to come over however I am not a big fan of sitting on planes to far away countries when I have only explored probably less than 10% of Oz's kiteboarding spots.
                                I have heard your area is really good though but tends to get only lighter winds is that correct? If it is then they are good conditions for those with slightly worn out bodies! :-)
                                Sounds like you are on the right track to get into and enjoy kiteboarding safely.
                                Have fun.
                                http://www.kitepower.com.au

                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 21, 2003
                                  I just returned from Kauai and saw this sport in its purest form for
                                  the first time.
                                  Mind you I have seen people here in the Bay Area (S.F.) participating
                                  too. It
                                  looks fantastic. I want to learn this and become good at it. Here is
                                  my situation
                                  and what I would like is advice on how to begin this persuit:

                                  First of all I am 54 years old. 6'1" and 220 lbs. I am not a physical
                                  fitness nut
                                  but I am also not a couch potatoe. I fly kites (on the land). I have
                                  about 6-8
                                  kites that include 2 and 4 line stunt kites, parafoils and even a
                                  Revolution (my
                                  favorite). So I know the kite flying skills well. I have not tried
                                  any 'traction' kites
                                  but my parafoils are almost identical. When I was young I was an
                                  excellent
                                  waterskier. I have never been very good at surfing but given the
                                  right
                                  conditions I can have fun.

                                  So I live in the SF Bay Area where there is lots of sailboarding and
                                  as I
                                  mentioned I see kiteboarders too. What recommendations can you all
                                  give me
                                  on getting started in this sport? Is there a school here or ? I
                                  taught myself river
                                  kayaking from books and visualization ( blew my instructors mind that
                                  I was
                                  able to complete my roll the first time). I also would like to
                                  purchase some
                                  equipment. I don't stay in the learning to take baby steps role for
                                  very long but
                                  I also don't need the latest Ferrari either. So I would like to find
                                  a set of
                                  equipment that will allow me to learn but to also serve a fast
                                  learning curve in
                                  skill development. Used or new? Is the equipment aging or ? I
                                  remember
                                  seeing sailboarding take off. The first boards were like tanks
                                  compared to
                                  todays boards. If I buy used equipment how far back in time can you
                                  go
                                  without being caught driving the latest Edsel?

                                  So to review:

                                  1. Learning process.
                                  2. Equipment
                                  3. Am I kidding myself at my age?

                                  Thanks
                                • Kite Power (Sydney)
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 22, 2003
                                    G'day
                                    No you are not kidding yourself! You can do it for sure especially since you have a lot of skills with a kite, especially Revs!
                                    But, this sport can kill you, unlike the kite flying you are used to, it is not for everyone, the forces involved are massive, and every honest kiter will admit that the kites power demands respect/fear!
                                    GET LESSONS, you are taking a huge risk to yourself and anyone downwind of you if you even attempt to fly a suitable sized kite without tuition. Try to get a lesson from an IKO trained instructor.
                                    Go to a kite shop if possible, one that was around before kiteboarding began, that has staff that kitesurf, if not go to a windsurf/kiteshop, and seek out the staff that actually kite.
                                    If they are casual about kite leashes, and safety shop elsewhere.
                                    Kites from the major brands, made since 2001, are all pretty good, and there are a lot of closeout deals around.
                                    Avoid buying used except from reputable shops, avoid kites that have untidy looking repairs in the bladders.
                                    The sport is 80%+ kite flying skill, so it does not matter one bit that you have never surfed. Wear a helmet and flotation/impact vest at all times while learning.
                                    http://www.kitepower.com.au