Re: Learning

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 7 7:33 AM
      Thanks for the advice! I want to avoid the 840, even if it is
      the "right" overall size for me since my roommate already has it. We
      can get the 630 at a nice price and have two kites for added wind
      range, correct? I could use the 630 right? Just need more wind I
      would guess...?

      Thanks again!

      --- In ksurfschool@y..., fernmanus@y... wrote:
      > Scott,
      >
      > Get the 840 ARC. You don't need to be as powered up when you are
      > learning. You can buy a larger kite next year once you are more
      > adept. The 1120 is a slow moving kite, by next year modifications
      > will be made to make it a faster turning kite. The 840 should work
      > well in the winter too (However, it may be a too large, since you
      > need far less power on the ice). I have been asking around and I
      > have heard some good things about the ARC for kiteskiing. A C-Quad
      > is less expensive and will work well on the snow. However, it is
      not
      > water relaunchable, so it will slow down the learning process in
      the
      > water.
      >
      > Kenny
      >
      > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Scott" <slarmee@4...> wrote:
      > > Have been learning on stunt and small (3M) foils, all 2 line of
      > > course and am ready for the next step. I am 200lbs. and have no
      > > board yet. My area, CT shoreline gets usual range of 5-15 MPH
      > > winds. I have a roommate who got me into this b/c of his 840
      Arc.
      > > He is 10 lbs. lighter than I and can surf well with it. So,
      while
      > > am not ready for surfing just yet, I want to skid, jump, drag in
      > > water, ice skate later on... etc etc. And then surf in the
      spring
      > > I'm thinking. So I don't think i want an inflat. too expensive,
      > I'd
      > > love an Arc but the 1120, which I think I need is pricey too.
      I'm

    • fernmanus@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 7 9:10 AM
        Scott,

        In your original e-mail you stated that you will be flying in 5 - 15
        mph winds and you weigh 200 LBS. A 630 ARC is not going to generate
        enough power for you to do a whole lot, even in 15 mph winds. You
        could fly one on the beach and body drag a bit, but you won't be able
        to get up and kite surf unless the wind is stronger. The 630 should
        work great for you in the winter. In your original message you
        stated that you aren't ready to surf yet, so a 630 should be fine for
        you, but plan on getting a bigger kite like the 1120 for actual kite
        surfing.

        One thing you need to be aware of, an ARC will stall in light winds.
        You may need to pull in the center leader or steer the kite
        agressively to keep it from stalling in light winds.

      • Dave Raue
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 7 9:34 AM
          Hi Hung,

          I don't think Mark is listening, so I'll play his role. I strongly disagree
          that you need to be an expert kiteflyer to use the C-Quad, unless your
          definition of expert is simply being able to use handles. Mark is certainly
          more expert than me, but we were both at Hatteras last spring and I tried
          his c-quad/handles-on-backstrap setup. although I had my doubts, in fact it
          was amazingly EASY. Once you dive the kite and lock it in it does generate
          constant power and is very usable. Perhaps the key is using the backstrap.
          You can completely let go and steer just by twisting your shoulders. I may
          yet get one as a small, high wind kite. The minimum requirement for the
          C-quad is just being able to fly a 4-line kite on handles. Then use the
          backstrap. Or maybe all this means I'm an expert and don't know it? :-)

          -Dave

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 7 1:13 PM
            Thanks, great advice! I think the 630 is the way to go for now,
            especially to learn the bigger kites better, since I know it won't
            outperform my skills in light winds like an 1120 might do 'cause of
            it's size! ( And god forbid a big gust with the 1120! Right?)

            Any foils I should be considering also? I LOVE the Arc due to it's
            overall simplicity of design, set-up (after installing a leash
            system) and launch capabilities. Anything else like a foil come
            close?

            Thanks to all who help me in this quest for the perfect
            starting "power" kite, these things ain't cheap and making the right
            choice is HUGE!

            Fly on, Scott.

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 7 1:40 PM
              Scott wrote:
              > --- Thanks Hung, as far as foils go, what would you recommend for my
              > weight, experience and average winds? I can actually get a 630 Arc
              > for about $475, a good price, but i'd need better overall wind at my
              > weight. (Looking to keep costs below 700 bux, after all accessories,
              > no board of course yet!)

              Scott,

              Depend on how much you weight, a 7-8 m2 foil may do well for you for
              learning in 10 - 15 knots. I know a person having a 7 m2 Advance IO for
              sale at $200 US (no lines, just kite and Advance IO bar. Send me
              private email and ask for his email if you are interested). For other
              low cost kite, check www.kitesurfingwchool.org/used.htm . Kinsley at
              Extreme Big air use to have the Mosquito for sale at 50% off.