Re: Learning

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 7, 2001
      --- Thanks Hung, as far as foils go, what would you recommend for my
      weight, experience and average winds? I can actually get a 630 Arc
      for about $475, a good price, but i'd need better overall wind at my
      weight. (Looking to keep costs below 700 bux, after all accessories,
      no board of course yet!)

      Thanks again!

      In ksurfschool@y..., Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:
      > Scott,
      >
      > I have tried a number of different C-Quads for kitesurfing and I
      find
      > that they are somewhat very difficult to kitesurf with. The main
      issue
      > with C-Quad is that it does not generate constant power needed for
      > kitesurfing. You need to be an excellent kite flyer (such as Kane
      > Hartill or Mark Frasier) to harness the power of the C-Quad for
      > kitesurfing. I tried the C-Quad 4.2, 6.3 and 10.5 and still need to
      > work on my flying skill for kitesurfing with the C-Quad.
      >
      > However, C-Quad are excellent for kiteskiing where constant power
      is not
      > a requirement.
      >
      > Foils are less expensive than Arc or inflatable, you may want to
      > consider them.
      >
      > P.S., Mark, if you are still reading this list then go ahead and
      flame
      > me :-)
      >
      > Hung.
      >
      > Scott wrote:
      > >
      > > Have been learning on stunt and small (3M) foils, all 2 line of
      > > course and am ready for the next step. I am 200lbs. and have no
      > > board yet. My area, CT shoreline gets usual range of 5-15 MPH
      > > winds. I have a roommate who got me into this b/c of his 840 Arc.
      > > He is 10 lbs. lighter than I and can surf well with it. So,
      while I
      > > am not ready for surfing just yet, I want to skid, jump, drag in
      > > water, ice skate later on... etc etc. And then surf in the spring
      > > I'm thinking. So I don't think i want an inflat. too expensive,
      I'd
      > > love an Arc but the 1120, which I think I need is pricey too. I'm
      > > thinking about a C-Quad. Any help/recommendations would be
      greatly
      > > appreciated!
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > >
      > > Scott
      > >

      > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Scott
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 7, 2001
        Thanks for the advice! I want to avoid the 840, even if it is
        the "right" overall size for me since my roommate already has it. We
        can get the 630 at a nice price and have two kites for added wind
        range, correct? I could use the 630 right? Just need more wind I
        would guess...?

        Thanks again!

      • fernmanus@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 7, 2001
          Scott,

          In your original e-mail you stated that you will be flying in 5 - 15
          mph winds and you weigh 200 LBS. A 630 ARC is not going to generate
          enough power for you to do a whole lot, even in 15 mph winds. You
          could fly one on the beach and body drag a bit, but you won't be able
          to get up and kite surf unless the wind is stronger. The 630 should
          work great for you in the winter. In your original message you
          stated that you aren't ready to surf yet, so a 630 should be fine for
          you, but plan on getting a bigger kite like the 1120 for actual kite
          surfing.

          One thing you need to be aware of, an ARC will stall in light winds.
          You may need to pull in the center leader or steer the kite
          agressively to keep it from stalling in light winds.

        • Dave Raue
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 7, 2001
            Hi Hung,

            I don't think Mark is listening, so I'll play his role. I strongly disagree
            that you need to be an expert kiteflyer to use the C-Quad, unless your
            definition of expert is simply being able to use handles. Mark is certainly
            more expert than me, but we were both at Hatteras last spring and I tried
            his c-quad/handles-on-backstrap setup. although I had my doubts, in fact it
            was amazingly EASY. Once you dive the kite and lock it in it does generate
            constant power and is very usable. Perhaps the key is using the backstrap.
            You can completely let go and steer just by twisting your shoulders. I may
            yet get one as a small, high wind kite. The minimum requirement for the
            C-quad is just being able to fly a 4-line kite on handles. Then use the
            backstrap. Or maybe all this means I'm an expert and don't know it? :-)

            -Dave

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 7, 2001
              Thanks, great advice! I think the 630 is the way to go for now,
              especially to learn the bigger kites better, since I know it won't
              outperform my skills in light winds like an 1120 might do 'cause of
              it's size! ( And god forbid a big gust with the 1120! Right?)

              Any foils I should be considering also? I LOVE the Arc due to it's
              overall simplicity of design, set-up (after installing a leash
              system) and launch capabilities. Anything else like a foil come
              close?

              Thanks to all who help me in this quest for the perfect
              starting "power" kite, these things ain't cheap and making the right
              choice is HUGE!

              Fly on, Scott.

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 7, 2001
                Scott wrote:
                > --- Thanks Hung, as far as foils go, what would you recommend for my
                > weight, experience and average winds? I can actually get a 630 Arc
                > for about $475, a good price, but i'd need better overall wind at my
                > weight. (Looking to keep costs below 700 bux, after all accessories,
                > no board of course yet!)

                Scott,

                Depend on how much you weight, a 7-8 m2 foil may do well for you for
                learning in 10 - 15 knots. I know a person having a 7 m2 Advance IO for
                sale at $200 US (no lines, just kite and Advance IO bar. Send me
                private email and ask for his email if you are interested). For other
                low cost kite, check www.kitesurfingwchool.org/used.htm . Kinsley at
                Extreme Big air use to have the Mosquito for sale at 50% off.