bar setup for an older mosquito 9m?

  • hink_trent@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 6, 2001
      I have been trying to learn to kitesurf using a mosquito pro ks 9
      (four lines) which I bought used. I found the bar that came with the
      kite (handles/bar combination)to be very cumbersome so instead have
      been using the handles I use for kite skiing in winter.

      After using the handles with the kite powered up enough to ride my
      5'6" wakeboard, I decided that maybe I don't really need the extra
      control offered by handles and a bar might be a better setup because
      it's easier to fly the kite one-handed.

      Will I be able to use a chicken-loop bar with the brakelines attached
      to the loop? I'd like to be able to apply enough brake to back the
      kite down and park it. will shackling the chicken loop to my harness
      provide an effective saftety release? Do I need a stop or something
      on the brakeline to keep the kite from going into a spin if I just
      drop the bar? The kite does not have the depower system that newer
      mosquitos have. How long should the bar be?

      I like to make me bar myself, rather than spend a couple hundred
      bucks on a new one, any suggestions would be appreciated.
    • eric_george@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 7, 2001
        Go to the windtools website and look under their tips section, also
        read through the forum..Trust anything Aaron says.

        I have made significant mods that he suggested and they have
        transformed this kite...here is a list.

        1. Stop using the bladders
        2. cross port cells on the kite, (simply make sure there are holes
        between the chambers where the bladders usually go and the rest of
        the kite, if not cut 1 inch holes at the midpoint between the bridal
        points
        3. Add the s & d system as described in the tips section, instead of
        doubling up the one line as suggested, I used a ring on the cross
        line to achieve the same effect.
        4. Add the "cross brake line" as suggested. This dramatically
        improves turning.
        5. Add 2 knots to the first 2 C bridle lines from the edge on each
        wing tip, add 1 knot to the B
        6. Use Urethane condoms instead of Latex
        7. Use a three line bar, my third line comes through and is then
        attached to the bar, a pulley/snapshacle is attached- this gives much
        better ability to use the depower/ safety sytem to adjust the power..

        Do these things and your kite will become stable, turn faster, have
        cleaner pull, and more.

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 9, 2001
          --- In ksurfschool@y..., eric_george@y... wrote:

          > 3. Add the s & d system as described in the tips section, instead
          of
          > doubling up the one line as suggested, I used a ring on the cross
          > line to achieve the same effect.

          If I set the kite up with the depower system will I have to
          disconnect the brakes? I don't really want to loose the ability to
          relaunch the kite if i crash it on it's nose.
        • Dave Raue
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 10, 2001
            you might want to consider 4 lines using the "jointed" bar. I admit I
            haven't tried the cross-brake set up, but this FAR better than 3 lines,
            especially in marginal wind (that's why you have the 9+ in the first place,
            right?). With independant control of the brakes you can use the 'brake' to
            dive very fast without having to use it on the upstroke. All other things
            equal, weight, board, etc, I've yet to see anybody out there in lower wind
            than this set up. Admittedly, this is a "hard" set up to fly well, but
            worth the effort.

            -Dave

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 10, 2001

            • scott@yules1.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 16, 2001
                I'm also a little confused. I've been thru the windtools forum, the
                posts on several group lists and talked to various people on the web
                & on the beach (Alameda, Ca). I'm new to the sport, picked up a used
                Mosquito 9+, not sure of the vintage, but it came as a 2 line, no
                safety. I'm gonna need the power (6'5", 270 lbs) and realize the
                foil is gonna have a steeper learning curve. There are WAAY too many
                choices on the modifications to get a clear picture!

                1) Depower & Safety system (after a harrowing 20Kt day on land I did
                this one already)

                B) Trailing edge brake (how do I figure out the line lengths?)

                III) Cross braking system (I hear alot of great things about this!)

                4) The brake system doesnt have a line down to the bar??

                V) Change angle of attack (knots in B & C lines)some suggest entire
                kite, some say wings only

                F) Dont use the bladders (effect water relaunchability?)

                VII) Cross port kite cells (take a knife to my new(used)kite?)

                H) Any wonder why I'm confused?????

                From what I've seen, I think (by early next season) I'll make the
                following mods;

                D & S - line to bar(slack) with attachment to wristleash
                trailing edge brake lines
                Cross braking
                angle of attack mods

                I'd love to hear the voices of experience tell me if I'm on the right
                track, and to hear from other beginners to trade notes and
                commiserate.

                Scott

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 18, 2001
                  Check out the photos and diagrams I added to the file section, this
                  should help...

                  This represents most of the changes I have made ot my 9 Plus... it is
                  now stable and quick turning, I have moved to a shorter bar as well..

                  209%20Plus/