Re: [ksurfschool] Re: All you want to know about boards!

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 6, 2001
      Kenny,

      All right, I may try a large bi-directional in strong wind one of these
      days when I have a chance.

      The only question I have is then why do you want a small bi-directional
      when a larger one is so versatile?

      The 5'9" directional is all I need for all conditions.

      P.S. The only reason I want the wakeboard is for traveling (no extra
      cost with most airlines) and of course after having discovered that it's
      great for fun sliding & jumping around - don't tell me that you want a
      small bi-directional for the same reason ;-)

      Hung.

    • fernmanus@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 7, 2001
        Hung,

        I use the small bi-directional or wakeboard for the same reason as
        you do - it is way more fun when jumping. A smaller board is less
        awkward in the air and it is easier to really load up for a big air.

        What I was trying to say earlier is that a large bi-directional (ie.
        169 Litewave) is every bit as versatile as a 5'9" Clam Sandwich. So,
        I do hope you will take the opportunity to try one. The only problem
        is that you may stop using your Clam Sandwich altogether. It is so
        easy and fun to ride toeside on a large bi-directional.

        I also hope you get the chance to fly a big inflatible someday like
        the AB 16.4. It may change your opinion about the proper kite to use
        on light wind days. You could probably even ride your wakeboard in 7
        knots. I can ride mine in 9 knots, but I weigh 50 LBS more than
        you.

        I hope you find some good wind this weekend. I hope this thread has
        been helpful to people new to the sport.

      • hungvu@netcom.ca
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 7, 2001
          Kenny,

          --- In ksurfschool@y..., fernmanus@y... wrote:
          > I use the small bi-directional or wakeboard for the same reason as
          > you do - it is way more fun when jumping. A smaller board is less
          > awkward in the air and it is easier to really load up for a big
          air.

          Sounds like we are in somewhat agreement here (as far as big air, I
          still jump slightly higher with the 5'9" directional - As I have
          been using the 5'9" for more than a year and the wakeboard only a
          few months, I still need more time getting used to the wakeboard).

          > What I was trying to say earlier is that a large bi-directional
          (ie.
          > 169 Litewave) is every bit as versatile as a 5'9" Clam Sandwich.
          So,
          > I do hope you will take the opportunity to try one. The only
          problem
          > is that you may stop using your Clam Sandwich altogether. It is so
          > easy and fun to ride toeside on a large bi-directional.

          I will try one in strong wind whenever I have a chance but I am not
          convinced yet that a large bi-directional is OK for me in strong wind
          (as I don't see how to make the board smaller). With the current
          wakeboard, there are times I felt that if I had used a slightly
          bigger wakeboard (151) it would have been too much.

          Having used the wakeboard extensively in the last 2 months I have
          missed my jibes so much and start longing for doing some soon. I
          don't think I ever stopped riding a directional (neither I stopped
          skiing after having become an advanced snowboarder)

          > I also hope you get the chance to fly a big inflatible someday like
          > the AB 16.4. It may change your opinion about the proper kite to
          use
          > on light wind days. You could probably even ride your wakeboard in
          7
          > knots. I can ride mine in 9 knots, but I weigh 50 LBS more than
          > you.

          Inflatables do not fly well in light wind (sub 7 knots) I have had
          plenty experiences with them with the Wipika Classic 8.5 and AR5
          11.5. I was hoping the AB 16.4 is better but it is too risky to
          spend a large amount of money to find out that it is the same in such
          light wind (I was thinking of ordering a 16.4 earlier this year and
          change my mind after remembered the wind I suppose to use the 16.4
          in).