Re: All you want to know about boards!

  • fernmanus@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 6 1:28 PM
      Hung,

      I rode a "large" 169 bidirectional board last year. Often in winds
      ranging from 20 - 30 knots. I was able to handle the conditions as
      well as any of my friends out on small directionals. A lot of people
      do ride bidirectional boards in high winds all the time. Franz Orly
      is a good example. You should try one some time. I think that you
      would be surprised how versatile a good bi-directional board can be.

      > Kenny,
      >
      > Maybe I did not make myself clear. Due to the riding position, a
      > directional board can be made larger by pressing more on the front
      foot
      > and made smaller by sinking the tail - pressing more on the back
      foot
      > (change the "pitch" of the board). This effect is more pronounce
      on a
      > smaller directional. This allow me to ride a small directional in
      wind
      > as low as 5-6 knots and in wind as high as 35+ knots.
      >
      > A larger bi-directional maybe good for beginner and light wind but
      I am
      > not sure I want to ride one in 20+ knots.
      >
      > Hung.
      >
      > fernmanus@y... wrote:
      > >
      > > Hung,
      > >
      > > > After riding the wakeboard, I don't think riding a large bi-
      > > directional
      > > > is fun for strong wind. The advantage of a small directional is
      > > such
      > > > that it can feel large in light wind (flat the board out more)
      and

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 6 5:24 PM
        Kenny,

        All right, I may try a large bi-directional in strong wind one of these
        days when I have a chance.

        The only question I have is then why do you want a small bi-directional
        when a larger one is so versatile?

        The 5'9" directional is all I need for all conditions.

        P.S. The only reason I want the wakeboard is for traveling (no extra
        cost with most airlines) and of course after having discovered that it's
        great for fun sliding & jumping around - don't tell me that you want a
        small bi-directional for the same reason ;-)

        Hung.

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 7 8:46 AM
          Hung,

          I use the small bi-directional or wakeboard for the same reason as
          you do - it is way more fun when jumping. A smaller board is less
          awkward in the air and it is easier to really load up for a big air.

          What I was trying to say earlier is that a large bi-directional (ie.
          169 Litewave) is every bit as versatile as a 5'9" Clam Sandwich. So,
          I do hope you will take the opportunity to try one. The only problem
          is that you may stop using your Clam Sandwich altogether. It is so
          easy and fun to ride toeside on a large bi-directional.

          I also hope you get the chance to fly a big inflatible someday like
          the AB 16.4. It may change your opinion about the proper kite to use
          on light wind days. You could probably even ride your wakeboard in 7
          knots. I can ride mine in 9 knots, but I weigh 50 LBS more than
          you.

          I hope you find some good wind this weekend. I hope this thread has
          been helpful to people new to the sport.

        • hungvu@netcom.ca
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 7 1:01 PM
            Kenny,

            --- In ksurfschool@y..., fernmanus@y... wrote:
            > I use the small bi-directional or wakeboard for the same reason as
            > you do - it is way more fun when jumping. A smaller board is less
            > awkward in the air and it is easier to really load up for a big
            air.

            Sounds like we are in somewhat agreement here (as far as big air, I
            still jump slightly higher with the 5'9" directional - As I have
            been using the 5'9" for more than a year and the wakeboard only a
            few months, I still need more time getting used to the wakeboard).

            > What I was trying to say earlier is that a large bi-directional
            (ie.
            > 169 Litewave) is every bit as versatile as a 5'9" Clam Sandwich.
            So,
            > I do hope you will take the opportunity to try one. The only
            problem
            > is that you may stop using your Clam Sandwich altogether. It is so
            > easy and fun to ride toeside on a large bi-directional.

            I will try one in strong wind whenever I have a chance but I am not
            convinced yet that a large bi-directional is OK for me in strong wind
            (as I don't see how to make the board smaller). With the current
            wakeboard, there are times I felt that if I had used a slightly
            bigger wakeboard (151) it would have been too much.

            Having used the wakeboard extensively in the last 2 months I have
            missed my jibes so much and start longing for doing some soon. I
            don't think I ever stopped riding a directional (neither I stopped
            skiing after having become an advanced snowboarder)

            > I also hope you get the chance to fly a big inflatible someday like
            > the AB 16.4. It may change your opinion about the proper kite to
            use
            > on light wind days. You could probably even ride your wakeboard in
            7
            > knots. I can ride mine in 9 knots, but I weigh 50 LBS more than
            > you.

            Inflatables do not fly well in light wind (sub 7 knots) I have had
            plenty experiences with them with the Wipika Classic 8.5 and AR5
            11.5. I was hoping the AB 16.4 is better but it is too risky to
            spend a large amount of money to find out that it is the same in such
            light wind (I was thinking of ordering a 16.4 earlier this year and
            change my mind after remembered the wind I suppose to use the 16.4
            in).