Learning

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 6 12:17 PM
      Have been learning on stunt and small (3M) foils, all 2 line of
      course and am ready for the next step. I am 200lbs. and have no
      board yet. My area, CT shoreline gets usual range of 5-15 MPH
      winds. I have a roommate who got me into this b/c of his 840 Arc.
      He is 10 lbs. lighter than I and can surf well with it. So, while I
      am not ready for surfing just yet, I want to skid, jump, drag in
      water, ice skate later on... etc etc. And then surf in the spring
      I'm thinking. So I don't think i want an inflat. too expensive, I'd
      love an Arc but the 1120, which I think I need is pricey too. I'm
      thinking about a C-Quad. Any help/recommendations would be greatly
      appreciated!

      Thanks!

      Scott
    • fernmanus@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 6 1:35 PM
        Scott,

        Get the 840 ARC. You don't need to be as powered up when you are
        learning. You can buy a larger kite next year once you are more
        adept. The 1120 is a slow moving kite, by next year modifications
        will be made to make it a faster turning kite. The 840 should work
        well in the winter too (However, it may be a too large, since you
        need far less power on the ice). I have been asking around and I
        have heard some good things about the ARC for kiteskiing. A C-Quad
        is less expensive and will work well on the snow. However, it is not
        water relaunchable, so it will slow down the learning process in the
        water.

        Kenny

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 6 5:35 PM
          Scott,

          I have tried a number of different C-Quads for kitesurfing and I find
          that they are somewhat very difficult to kitesurf with. The main issue
          with C-Quad is that it does not generate constant power needed for
          kitesurfing. You need to be an excellent kite flyer (such as Kane
          Hartill or Mark Frasier) to harness the power of the C-Quad for
          kitesurfing. I tried the C-Quad 4.2, 6.3 and 10.5 and still need to
          work on my flying skill for kitesurfing with the C-Quad.

          However, C-Quad are excellent for kiteskiing where constant power is not
          a requirement.

          Foils are less expensive than Arc or inflatable, you may want to
          consider them.

          P.S., Mark, if you are still reading this list then go ahead and flame
          me :-)

          Hung.

          Scott wrote:

          > Have been learning on stunt and small (3M) foils, all 2 line of
          > course and am ready for the next step. I am 200lbs. and have no
          > board yet. My area, CT shoreline gets usual range of 5-15 MPH
          > winds. I have a roommate who got me into this b/c of his 840 Arc.
          > He is 10 lbs. lighter than I and can surf well with it. So, while I
          > am not ready for surfing just yet, I want to skid, jump, drag in
          > water, ice skate later on... etc etc. And then surf in the spring
          > I'm thinking. So I don't think i want an inflat. too expensive, I'd
          > love an Arc but the 1120, which I think I need is pricey too. I'm
          > thinking about a C-Quad. Any help/recommendations would be greatly
          > appreciated!
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Scott

        • Scott
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 7 7:17 AM
            --- Thanks Hung, as far as foils go, what would you recommend for my
            weight, experience and average winds? I can actually get a 630 Arc
            for about $475, a good price, but i'd need better overall wind at my
            weight. (Looking to keep costs below 700 bux, after all accessories,
            no board of course yet!)

            Thanks again!

            In ksurfschool@y..., Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:
            > Scott,
            >
            > I have tried a number of different C-Quads for kitesurfing and I
            find
            > that they are somewhat very difficult to kitesurf with. The main
            issue
            > with C-Quad is that it does not generate constant power needed for
            > kitesurfing. You need to be an excellent kite flyer (such as Kane
            > Hartill or Mark Frasier) to harness the power of the C-Quad for
            > kitesurfing. I tried the C-Quad 4.2, 6.3 and 10.5 and still need to
            > work on my flying skill for kitesurfing with the C-Quad.
            >
            > However, C-Quad are excellent for kiteskiing where constant power
            is not
            > a requirement.
            >
            > Foils are less expensive than Arc or inflatable, you may want to
            > consider them.
            >
            > P.S., Mark, if you are still reading this list then go ahead and
            flame
            > me :-)
            >
            > Hung.
            >
            > Scott wrote:
            > >
            > > Have been learning on stunt and small (3M) foils, all 2 line of
            > > course and am ready for the next step. I am 200lbs. and have no
            > > board yet. My area, CT shoreline gets usual range of 5-15 MPH
            > > winds. I have a roommate who got me into this b/c of his 840 Arc.
            > > He is 10 lbs. lighter than I and can surf well with it. So,
            while I
            > > am not ready for surfing just yet, I want to skid, jump, drag in
            > > water, ice skate later on... etc etc. And then surf in the spring
            > > I'm thinking. So I don't think i want an inflat. too expensive,
            I'd
            > > love an Arc but the 1120, which I think I need is pricey too. I'm
            > > thinking about a C-Quad. Any help/recommendations would be
            greatly
            > > appreciated!
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > >
            > > Scott
            > >

            > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Scott
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 7 7:33 AM
              Thanks for the advice! I want to avoid the 840, even if it is
              the "right" overall size for me since my roommate already has it. We
              can get the 630 at a nice price and have two kites for added wind
              range, correct? I could use the 630 right? Just need more wind I
              would guess...?

              Thanks again!

            • fernmanus@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 7 9:10 AM
                Scott,

                In your original e-mail you stated that you will be flying in 5 - 15
                mph winds and you weigh 200 LBS. A 630 ARC is not going to generate
                enough power for you to do a whole lot, even in 15 mph winds. You
                could fly one on the beach and body drag a bit, but you won't be able
                to get up and kite surf unless the wind is stronger. The 630 should
                work great for you in the winter. In your original message you
                stated that you aren't ready to surf yet, so a 630 should be fine for
                you, but plan on getting a bigger kite like the 1120 for actual kite
                surfing.

                One thing you need to be aware of, an ARC will stall in light winds.
                You may need to pull in the center leader or steer the kite
                agressively to keep it from stalling in light winds.

              • Dave Raue
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 7 9:34 AM
                  Hi Hung,

                  I don't think Mark is listening, so I'll play his role. I strongly disagree
                  that you need to be an expert kiteflyer to use the C-Quad, unless your
                  definition of expert is simply being able to use handles. Mark is certainly
                  more expert than me, but we were both at Hatteras last spring and I tried
                  his c-quad/handles-on-backstrap setup. although I had my doubts, in fact it
                  was amazingly EASY. Once you dive the kite and lock it in it does generate
                  constant power and is very usable. Perhaps the key is using the backstrap.
                  You can completely let go and steer just by twisting your shoulders. I may
                  yet get one as a small, high wind kite. The minimum requirement for the
                  C-quad is just being able to fly a 4-line kite on handles. Then use the
                  backstrap. Or maybe all this means I'm an expert and don't know it? :-)

                  -Dave

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 7 1:13 PM
                    Thanks, great advice! I think the 630 is the way to go for now,
                    especially to learn the bigger kites better, since I know it won't
                    outperform my skills in light winds like an 1120 might do 'cause of
                    it's size! ( And god forbid a big gust with the 1120! Right?)

                    Any foils I should be considering also? I LOVE the Arc due to it's
                    overall simplicity of design, set-up (after installing a leash
                    system) and launch capabilities. Anything else like a foil come
                    close?

                    Thanks to all who help me in this quest for the perfect
                    starting "power" kite, these things ain't cheap and making the right
                    choice is HUGE!

                    Fly on, Scott.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 7 1:40 PM
                      Scott wrote:
                      > --- Thanks Hung, as far as foils go, what would you recommend for my
                      > weight, experience and average winds? I can actually get a 630 Arc
                      > for about $475, a good price, but i'd need better overall wind at my
                      > weight. (Looking to keep costs below 700 bux, after all accessories,
                      > no board of course yet!)

                      Scott,

                      Depend on how much you weight, a 7-8 m2 foil may do well for you for
                      learning in 10 - 15 knots. I know a person having a 7 m2 Advance IO for
                      sale at $200 US (no lines, just kite and Advance IO bar. Send me
                      private email and ask for his email if you are interested). For other
                      low cost kite, check www.kitesurfingwchool.org/used.htm . Kinsley at
                      Extreme Big air use to have the Mosquito for sale at 50% off.