Leash lenght + one more question

  • kitesurf@hotmail.co.il
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2001
      Hi,

      1.
      what is the optimal leash lenght ? - as i tend to tangle alot
      with it.

      2.
      I currently fight to jibe , but in the meantime when falling to
      the sea and trying to get back on the board I draged in the
      water downwind - what cause the walk of shame
      how to minimize the distance (increase the no. of legs )?

      many thnx,
      TZ
    • Mel
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2001
        <kitesurf@...> wrote:

        > what is the optimal leash lenght ? - as i tend to tangle alot
        > with it.

        You must mean the board leash, in which case the optimal length is
        "variable" (as in a Reel Leash).

        > I currently fight to jibe , but in the meantime when falling to
        > the sea and trying to get back on the board I draged in the
        > water downwind - what cause the walk of shame
        > how to minimize the distance (increase the no. of legs )?

        Instead of trying to jibe, when you want to turn & go back, just turn upwind
        while slowly flying the kite up to overhead, & then fall backwards into the
        water. Quickly remove your feet, spin the board, reinsert you feet, &
        you're ready to go back. It may not sound like it, but you'll lose much
        less ground than jibing, let alone falling in a jibe attempt & then getting
        going again.

        Once you can work your way upwind of your starting point THEN start trying
        to jibe.

        Mel
      • fernmanus@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 6, 2001
          Mel is right about the reel leash. I have been using a reel leash
          for the past 2 months, prior to that I broke 5 leashes in 2 months.
          I kitesurf in shallow water, my wakeboard would often got stuck in
          the mud and the leash would break. I have had no such problems with
          the reel leash. The reel leash brings the board to you gently, so
          you don't have to worry about getting slammed by the board after a
          crash.

          The reel leash is great for beginners because the board is always
          near your body, you don't have to pull in an 8' leash everytime you
          crash.

          Kenny