Re: [ksurfschool] Re: All you want to know about boards!

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 5, 2001
      Kenny,

      fernmanus@... wrote:
      > My opinion is different than yours. If I were to pick the best all
      > around board I would select a large bidirectional board like the
      > 169cm Wake-N-Style. My friend had a Clam Sandwich that we both rode
      > many times. Once we tried the Wake-N-Style, we weren't interested in
      > riding the Clam anymore. My friend sold his clam a little while
      > ago. We now ride most of the time on pickleforks, but I still have a
      > Litewave for light wind riding.

      After riding the wakeboard, I don't think riding a large bi-directional
      is fun for strong wind. The advantage of a small directional is such
      that it can feel large in light wind (flat the board out more) and small
      in strong wind (ride just the tail of the board) - therefore the best
      all-around board.

      > For high wind riding, I prefer a kite specific board over a
      > traditional wakeboard. I like the deeper rails on a kite specific
      > board. I think they help the board track better when you are really
      > powered up.

      This can be achieved quite easily with technique (steer/edge the board
      with both feet and don't press to hard on the back foot).

      The other option is to install 2 fins at each end of the board (can be
      done quite easily with any wakeboard) - I was thinking of doing that
      until I discovered that it actually more fun with only 1 fin at each end
      (feel just like riding my snow board).

      Hung.
    • eric_george@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 5, 2001
        Hung,

        You are right about the ease of adding fins to a wakeboard, just
        drill holes in the same pattern as have been done at the factory,
        just on the corners where you want the fins to be. It took me about
        ten minutes. I have been riding mine with 5 fins actually. I left the
        middle rear fin in so I could use the bolt on top to attach my leash.

        For $170, I bought an O'Brien AMP 145 new... Everything that makes it
        undesirable for wakeboarding is a benefit for Kiteboarding... flat
        rocker, large size, straighter rails. In fact, it has a very similar
        shape to the new Naish that will cost around $600.
      • fernmanus@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 5, 2001
          Hung,

          > After riding the wakeboard, I don't think riding a large bi-
          directional
          > is fun for strong wind. The advantage of a small directional is
          such
          > that it can feel large in light wind (flat the board out more) and
          small
          > in strong wind (ride just the tail of the board) - therefore the
          best
          > all-around board.

          A large bi-directional does not ride like a wakeboard. It is far
          more forgiving. You would be surprised how well you can ride a bi-
          directional in strong wind. I have used one many times and I was
          able to control the board very well by edging. The only reason I use
          a wakeboard most of the time now is that it is easier to control in
          the air while jumping. I still believe a bi-directional is superior
          to a directional board for learning, especially if you have never
          windsurfed before. Why bother to learn how to jibe a directional
          when it is so easy on a bi-directional? What you said about a
          directional feeling large in light wind and small in strong wind is
          also true for a bi-directional. You can ride the board flat in light
          wind and use the edge in strong wind.

          I feel too many beginners are instructed to buy a large directional
          for learning. Most beginners would be more happy starting on a large
          bi-directional board. Fortunately, large bi-directional boards like
          the Bic 215 and Litewave 181 became available this year.

          After using the Clam Sandwich and the Litewave 169. I proclaim the
          Litewave as the better all around board. So does my good friend, he
          used a Clam Sandwich all last summer. I let him try my Litewave once
          and he kept borrowing it every chance he could until he finally
          purchased one for himself. Hung, have you tried the Litewave or
          another bi-directional?

        • Fritz@cabincover.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 5, 2001

            > For $170, I bought an O'Brien AMP 145 new... Everything that
            makes it
            > undesirable for wakeboarding is a benefit for Kiteboarding...
            flat
            > rocker, large size, straighter rails. In fact, it has a very
            similar
            > shape to the new Naish that will cost around $600.

            I've yet to get a directional going.. but these O'Brien's are on
            sale for $99. at: www.culvermarina.com/catalog.htm Seems
            like a pretty inexpensive way to test fly a wakeboard.
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 5, 2001
              Kenny,

              Maybe I did not make myself clear. Due to the riding position, a
              directional board can be made larger by pressing more on the front foot
              and made smaller by sinking the tail - pressing more on the back foot
              (change the "pitch" of the board). This effect is more pronounce on a
              smaller directional. This allow me to ride a small directional in wind
              as low as 5-6 knots and in wind as high as 35+ knots.

              A larger bi-directional maybe good for beginner and light wind but I am
              not sure I want to ride one in 20+ knots.

              Hung.

            • fernmanus@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 6, 2001
                Hung,

                I rode a "large" 169 bidirectional board last year. Often in winds
                ranging from 20 - 30 knots. I was able to handle the conditions as
                well as any of my friends out on small directionals. A lot of people
                do ride bidirectional boards in high winds all the time. Franz Orly
                is a good example. You should try one some time. I think that you
                would be surprised how versatile a good bi-directional board can be.

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 6, 2001
                  Kenny,

                  All right, I may try a large bi-directional in strong wind one of these
                  days when I have a chance.

                  The only question I have is then why do you want a small bi-directional
                  when a larger one is so versatile?

                  The 5'9" directional is all I need for all conditions.

                  P.S. The only reason I want the wakeboard is for traveling (no extra
                  cost with most airlines) and of course after having discovered that it's
                  great for fun sliding & jumping around - don't tell me that you want a
                  small bi-directional for the same reason ;-)

                  Hung.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 7, 2001
                    Hung,

                    I use the small bi-directional or wakeboard for the same reason as
                    you do - it is way more fun when jumping. A smaller board is less
                    awkward in the air and it is easier to really load up for a big air.

                    What I was trying to say earlier is that a large bi-directional (ie.
                    169 Litewave) is every bit as versatile as a 5'9" Clam Sandwich. So,
                    I do hope you will take the opportunity to try one. The only problem
                    is that you may stop using your Clam Sandwich altogether. It is so
                    easy and fun to ride toeside on a large bi-directional.

                    I also hope you get the chance to fly a big inflatible someday like
                    the AB 16.4. It may change your opinion about the proper kite to use
                    on light wind days. You could probably even ride your wakeboard in 7
                    knots. I can ride mine in 9 knots, but I weigh 50 LBS more than
                    you.

                    I hope you find some good wind this weekend. I hope this thread has
                    been helpful to people new to the sport.

                  • hungvu@netcom.ca
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 7, 2001
                      Kenny,

                      --- In ksurfschool@y..., fernmanus@y... wrote:
                      > I use the small bi-directional or wakeboard for the same reason as
                      > you do - it is way more fun when jumping. A smaller board is less
                      > awkward in the air and it is easier to really load up for a big
                      air.

                      Sounds like we are in somewhat agreement here (as far as big air, I
                      still jump slightly higher with the 5'9" directional - As I have
                      been using the 5'9" for more than a year and the wakeboard only a
                      few months, I still need more time getting used to the wakeboard).

                      > What I was trying to say earlier is that a large bi-directional
                      (ie.
                      > 169 Litewave) is every bit as versatile as a 5'9" Clam Sandwich.
                      So,
                      > I do hope you will take the opportunity to try one. The only
                      problem
                      > is that you may stop using your Clam Sandwich altogether. It is so
                      > easy and fun to ride toeside on a large bi-directional.

                      I will try one in strong wind whenever I have a chance but I am not
                      convinced yet that a large bi-directional is OK for me in strong wind
                      (as I don't see how to make the board smaller). With the current
                      wakeboard, there are times I felt that if I had used a slightly
                      bigger wakeboard (151) it would have been too much.

                      Having used the wakeboard extensively in the last 2 months I have
                      missed my jibes so much and start longing for doing some soon. I
                      don't think I ever stopped riding a directional (neither I stopped
                      skiing after having become an advanced snowboarder)

                      > I also hope you get the chance to fly a big inflatible someday like
                      > the AB 16.4. It may change your opinion about the proper kite to
                      use
                      > on light wind days. You could probably even ride your wakeboard in
                      7
                      > knots. I can ride mine in 9 knots, but I weigh 50 LBS more than
                      > you.

                      Inflatables do not fly well in light wind (sub 7 knots) I have had
                      plenty experiences with them with the Wipika Classic 8.5 and AR5
                      11.5. I was hoping the AB 16.4 is better but it is too risky to
                      spend a large amount of money to find out that it is the same in such
                      light wind (I was thinking of ordering a 16.4 earlier this year and
                      change my mind after remembered the wind I suppose to use the 16.4
                      in).