Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

"ARCified" Foil Experiment ("Perfect Kite"? - not yet!)

Expand Messages
  • Mel
    Inspired partly by the Perfect Kite posts, & partly by wanting to have a toy ARC to play with, I installed tip battens in a SlingShot B2 trainer foil, &
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 29, 2001
    • 0 Attachment
      Inspired partly by the "Perfect Kite" posts, & partly by wanting to have a
      "toy" ARC to play with, I installed tip battens in a SlingShot B2 trainer
      foil, & tried to fly it off only the tip bridles. It stalled (too high
      AoA), so I tried with just the front & rear lines of the tip bridle, with
      the LE line on a lower stop knot to lower the LE (& also lower AoA), & even
      though there appeared to be insufficient TE tension, it still stalled. I
      figured that wedging it to move the tips forward of the center of lift might
      help it sheet out while maintaining TE tension, so I wedged out the entire
      center cell, but it still didn't work. More wedging might help, but it's
      apparent that it's not as simple as I thought it might be.

      Mel
    • Hung Vu
      Mel, Remove the bridle off a foil would not work (make the kite fly off the tip). The only way I can think of is a sled/foil bridle (I got one fully rigged
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2001
      • 0 Attachment
        Mel,

        Remove the bridle off a foil would not work (make the kite fly off the
        tip). The only way I can think of is a sled/foil bridle (I got one
        fully rigged for the EX's 6.0; just didn't have a chance to tried it
        yet)

        Hung.

        Mel wrote:
        >
        > Inspired partly by the "Perfect Kite" posts, & partly by wanting to have a
        > "toy" ARC to play with, I installed tip battens in a SlingShot B2 trainer
        > foil, & tried to fly it off only the tip bridles. It stalled (too high
        > AoA), so I tried with just the front & rear lines of the tip bridle, with
        > the LE line on a lower stop knot to lower the LE (& also lower AoA), & even
        > though there appeared to be insufficient TE tension, it still stalled. I
        > figured that wedging it to move the tips forward of the center of lift might
        > help it sheet out while maintaining TE tension, so I wedged out the entire
        > center cell, but it still didn't work. More wedging might help, but it's
        > apparent that it's not as simple as I thought it might be.
        >
        > Mel
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.