181 Litewave Board Review - Best Board for Beginners/Light wind

  • fernmanus@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 17, 2001
      Okay, I made a brash statement, but I feel that the new 181 Litewave
      is the best bidirectional board for beginners. I would have started
      on a big bidirectional board if one were available when I was
      learning. I do not work in the kite board industry. I bought a
      Litewave with my own money.

      Let me tell you why I think this board is the best available. First
      of all, the construction is bomber. Beginners thrash boards on
      rocks, in parking lots, etc. The Litewave is built to handle it
      all. Second, the Litewave has more range than other large bi-
      directionals. The Litewave has a thin edge so that you can handle
      gusts and it is light for a board that size. The length of the 181
      makes it more forgiving than shorter boards. Third, the Durasurf
      surface on the bottom of the board is so smooth.

      I have tried a lot of boards in my quest for a good Light wind
      board. Some are heavy (Bic 215, AirRush Starboard, LF Picklefork).
      The second best board in my estimation is the Orly/Wipika
      bidirectionals. They have a good edge and ride very well, but they
      are not nearly as durable and do not ride as smooth as the Litewave.

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 17, 2001
        fernmanus@... wrote:
        > Okay, I made a brash statement, but I feel that the new 181 Litewave
        > is the best bidirectional board for beginners. I would have started
        > on a big bidirectional board if one were available when I was
        > learning. I do not work in the kite board industry. I bought a
        > Litewave with my own money.

        Sounds like the Litewave 181 is one of the best beginner/light wind
        boards; however, larger directionals are best for learning/light wind
        too.

        I am 125 lb. and learned on a FOne 230 (230 cm long - read very large)
        board. If you read my log, there was a time I wished that I had had a
        board with even a larger volume.

        I used the FOne 230 until I can jibe, go up wind and jump.

        I still keep and use my FOne 230 (a piece of history which I value a lot
        - the 83th kiteboard in the world!) today in light wind days when I want
        to go fast (not slogging around with my Clam Sandwich or wake board).

        Larger directional or bidirectional boards should be both good for
        learning/light wind. Select one from the other should more be a matter
        of taste (whether you want to jibe or not).

        Hung.
      • fernmanus@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 17, 2001
          Hung,

          I agree it is a matter of taste (bidirectional vs. directional). I
          learned on a 7'1" Naish Sky Pirate. I wish that I had the option of
          learning on a bidirectional (my background is snowboarding). I am
          glad that people now have that option.