beginners questions

  • Fritz@cabincover.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 11, 2001
      I've done with the B2 Slingshot and got a 5.0 CA New Wave.
      I've flown it in 10-12mph without a problem and was able to do
      everything with it that I was with the B2.

      Yesterday I went to the Ocean with a pretty steady 15 gusting to
      20 and had a helluva time with the takeoff.

      1. It would get about 10 feet up and go into spirals and body
      slam it self into the sand...drag my butt down the beach too.

      2. I'd adjust the 3rd line to de-power it somewhat, but it just
      became sloopy and eratic.

      3. After about a frustrating hour, I adjusted the attachment point
      in the bridle where in their brochure they talk about a CCS...or
      something, where you adjust the AOA to adjust speed of turning.
      This seemed to work to the point where I was able to get it in the
      air. How radical should you get with these adjustments?

      4. Yet the kite seemed to want to head to a parking spot at about
      40 degrees off the wind at about 2-3 o'clock. Is this sounding
      normal? What does length of lines have any effect on?

      5. I've body dragged 'till it felt like I could lift a car and have now
      made a harness to use a Boogieboard. The pressure is off my
      arms and when you drop the kite into the power zone it's like
      you're part of a skipping stone. Zooommmm... It kicks ass!

      6. BTW: I can't imagine a kite without a 3rd line! I do this alone
      and it has saved my bacon countless times. ...a PFD is also
      handy - my leash blew up last night and it was a helluva lot
      easier to make a long swim with flotation. (I'm thinking about a
      backpack for my flippers...though I've got a better leash now)

      7. I'm getting a Directional and need to head for some foil
      lessons. It there a particular instructor or shop in Hatteras
      (there's lots) that anyone's had success with?

      .......sorry for so many questions. Just seem like the more you
      know - the more you know you don't.
    • Dwight & Jacky
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 11, 2001
        > 7. I'm getting a Directional and need to head for some foil
        > lessons. It there a particular instructor or shop in Hatteras
        > (there's lots) that anyone's had success with?

        www.foxwatersports.com is the Concept Air dealer that offers foil lessons at Hatteras.

        Dwight