Beginner injured by lack of good judgement

  • fernmanus@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 9, 2001
      Yesterday, a very enthusiastic beginner was out on a nearby
      reservior. He was flying an 8.4 in gusty conditions on a Bic 215.
      This particular reservior where he was kite boarding is very small,
      probably only 1/2 mile long and is surrounded on 2 sides by a huge
      rock dyke. As a beginner, this guy went quickly downwind. Instead
      of downing his kite a safe distance from the dyke he went for a gibe
      less than 50 feet from the dyke. A gust caught him and put him down
      on the rocky dyke. He ended up breaking his elbow and severely
      bruising his hip. He had an hour long ambulance ride to the hospital
      and will probably have to undergo surgery on his arm. Fortunately,
      he was not injured more seriously. He was also very lucky that he
      did not hit his head as we was not wearing a helmet.

      The point of this story is to put your kite down in the water a safe
      distance from any downwind obstacles. 2 kite lengths is a good rule
      of thumb. Wear a helmet as well.

      Kenny
    • kitesrfer@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 9, 2001
        Kenny,

        Thanks for the report. I am sorry that the rider needs surgery, I hope he
        heals quickly. You mentioned that the dikes are huge. If they rise to much
        of a height off the water, uplift next to them may also be an issue. This
        killed a kitesurfer in Holland and gave a kitesurfer in SW Florida a fourth
        story view thanks to uplift next to a condo.

        Your two kite line length distance rule is a good one. If you come within a
        hundred feet of a vertical surface with an onshore wind, I would depower the
        kite by whatever means necessary to avoid potentially being lofted. I
        totally agree about the helmet as well.

        Fly safe,
        Rick

      • petrex88@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 9, 2001
          >A gust caught him and put him down
          > on the rocky dyke. He ended up breaking his elbow and severely
          > bruising his hip.

          > The point of this story is to put your kite down in the water a
          safe
          > distance from any downwind obstacles. 2 kite lengths is a good
          rule
          > of thumb. Wear a helmet as well.

          Agreed. Sad story. I understand not everyone is as lucky as we are
          here in L.A. to have a place like Belmont Shores to learn -- wide
          long beach, steady wind, and few obstacles (a few lifeguard towers).
          Personally, I don't think I'd kite in an area with a rocky dyke and
          only 1/2 mile of open water. This sport just has too many potential
          hazards once you start limiting the area and adding obstacles and/or
          gusty wind. I complained on the Socal kiting board about some
          newbies I observed at another L.A. kiting location with similar
          hazards -- Topanga. In my opinion, newbies and instructors (and ALL
          of us) need to exercise extreme caution and good judgment, and
          perhaps that means not learning to kite in your hometown but making a
          special trip to somewhere more suitable for kiting....Sounds like a
          good excuse for a vacation ;-)
        • Mel
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 11, 2001
            <kitesrfer@...> wrote:

            > If you come within a
            > hundred feet of a vertical surface with an onshore wind, I would depower
            the
            > kite by whatever means necessary to avoid potentially being lofted.

            Flying the kite low to the surface will accomplish the same thing.