success!!!

  • gothicman@home.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7, 2001
      Just came back from Lake Erie in Ontario Canada. Got my 6.3 to
      finally fly!!! The pull was absolutely incredible. Couldn't fly the
      kite without someone hanging on to the handle on the back of my
      harness. Even parked right above my head the kite would pull me off
      my feet. The wind wasn't very strong either. Body dragging with 2
      people was unbelieveable. The second person would hang on to the
      strap (to help me walk back upwind). The kite would pull 2 of us up
      to our ankles and drag us at incredible speed and power. This was my
      first day with a power kite of any kind. I shortened the main lines
      and there was less pull on the kite out of the power zone so that
      helped me to be able to hold the kite parked and slowly walk upwind
      by myself without help. I couldn't stall or luff the kite no matter
      what i tried to do. Water relaunching was too easy and sometimes
      even in chest deep water. What people said about cquads not
      relaunching appears to be false. I had no problems water relaunching
      and I didn't even have the float tubes put in. The kite was VERY
      cheap. No bladders to blow up or puncture and very few seams for
      ripping. I paid more for bar(Jeff Howard Kitesurfer bar), harness
      (Peter Lynn waist), lines(Q-line 30meter) and swivel hook then i did
      for the actual kite. Being from Ontario, no one has seen this
      sport. Within minutes i had boaters, sea-doers and cottagers all
      gawking and cheering at this spectacle. I even managed to body drag
      upwind at an amazing angle with using one hand as a rudder when i
      didn't have a passenger hanging on. I landed the kite softly and
      smoothly on the beach out of the power zone. It floated down like a
      feather! Although we flew the kite almost all weekend we couldn't
      get the kite to make us jump (tea-bag) out of the water. What do you
      have to do with the flight of the kite to have it pick you up and
      jump out of the water?

      P.S. Thank you so much for everyone's help and advice with my
      problems of "first flight". All your information helped me very much
      to fly this beast. This forum and the kitesurfschool.com website are
      the only literature and help that i have been able to get because of
      the lack of sport participation in ontario even though we have
      beautiful waters and beaches here. Thanks all.

      P.P.S. I would recommend a c-quad to anyone even beginners. I had
      friends flying and body dragging on this kite in minutes and some of
      them never even flew a 2 line stunt kite before. Almost impossible
      to crash this kite and even though some of us crashed it a few times
      (because of our newbieness and sometimes hard crashes) there was
      absolutely no signs of anything wrong with the kite at all. Once a
      person was on the kite for 10 minutes they never crashed it after
      that.
    • Mel
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7, 2001
        <gothicman@...> wrote:

        > Water relaunching was too easy and sometimes
        > even in chest deep water. What people said about cquads not
        > relaunching appears to be false. I had no problems water relaunching
        > and I didn't even have the float tubes put in.

        Okay, when you can TOUCH BOTTOM. If you can't touch (like most places you'd
        be likely to crash while kiteboarding) you can't relaunch.

        Mel
      • gothicman@home.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8, 2001
          Thanks for the tip Mel. I didn't go out deeper than where i could
          touch because of how far i would have to go out. Being i was at Lake
          Erie in Ontario Canada i would have to go out about 200-300 yards for
          the water to get over my head. I think the seemingly neverending
          submerged sandbars makes this water sport safe for me to learn in and
          improve my kiting skills without the risk of being dragged on my face
          somewhere unpleasant. I'm guessing then that when i finally feel
          confident enough with the kite ie: being able to fly without watching
          the kite, then i could try some type of vehicle. Would you happen to
          have any experience with water vehicles for kiting other than
          kiteboards? I was struck by a car 5 years ago on my Harley and
          needless to say i've led a very different life since then. I have
          full upper body power and flexibility. I've seen the Peter Lynn Kite
          boat on the Web but the cost is astronomical. If there are similar
          vehicles of this type (homemade or otherwise) i would love to hear of
          them. The PL Kiteboat can be seen at
          http://www.quadrifoil.com/PeterLynn/PLsailing.htm . Sorry my
          intention isn't to advertise i just need some ideas along this line.
          Have you any information regarding my last post about the jumping?
          Love seeing your post's on all the kitesurfing sites Mel. Your
          teaching's and advice as well as other's, are the only real
          information i have been able to get to help me with this amazing
          sport.
          Good Winds

          --- In ksurfschool@y..., Mel <kitebord@p...> wrote:
          > <gothicman@h...> wrote:
          >
          > > Water relaunching was too easy and sometimes
          > > even in chest deep water. What people said about cquads not
          > > relaunching appears to be false. I had no problems water
          relaunching
          > > and I didn't even have the float tubes put in.
          >
          > Okay, when you can TOUCH BOTTOM. If you can't touch (like most
          places you'd
          > be likely to crash while kiteboarding) you can't relaunch.
          >
          > Mel
        • Mel
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 8, 2001
            <gothicman@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the tip Mel...
            > Would you happen to
            > have any experience with water vehicles for kiting other than
            > kiteboards?

            No, sorry.

            > Have you any information regarding my last post about the jumping?

            Yes: On dry land OR if you can touch the bottom, DO NOT DO IT!!! (on OR off
            the board).

            Mel
          • fonteyne@mle.mazdaeur.be
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 22, 2001
              Isn't there a possibility to kneeboard?

              RadE

              Life's a beach
            • gothicman@home.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 27, 2001
                Was told on an earlier reply that a knee board has no upwind ability
                because of it's curved/rounded sides. Nothing on the board to edge
                with. :-(
                G-man