Still struggling to land the foil unassisted..... ;-)

  • Lenik Terenin
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2001
      >I have never tried bringing the kite down through the powerzone
      >relying on the brake. It seems hazardous with a 7M F-one kite in 16-
      >20 mph winds. Has anyone had the brake line snap while just locked

      Not afraid of brake snaps, but leashed kite sometimes turns in the air
      and wants to launch backwards (good thing when dropped on the water,
      but not while trying to land it). And sometimes it just hovers at something
      like several meters up, doing funny moves and generating quite a pull,
      and single leash line does not allow to control it well enough.

      Do I miss something in my setup or kite control skills and every kite
      shall go down evenly and without turning/tumbling when on the leash?
    • David Stanek
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2001
        We have on all JOJO kites the brake line guided through the bar's center
        hole (or pulley) with stopper knot on the brake line leader - position of
        this knot is set so kites go down without "funny moves" or tumbling .. With
        line guided through the center you can simply let go the bar and kite will
        still come down in controlled manner. I don't know how the brake bridles
        are trimmed and positioned on other kites but you should be able to launch
        and land foils without any assistance and in any position within wind
        window - that's one huge advantage of good foil design ( inflatables don't
        have brake bridles for stalling) ... I'm not sure if this apply to all foils
        but it works flawlessly on both WET and RAGE foils.

        Regards
        David
        www.jojokites.com