Re: [ksurfschool] unluffable kite- Stamos

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
      > windtools wrote:
      > On another note the final testing of the Booster is finished, and it
      > is
      > SWEEEEET. I just got done flying one of the prototypes at the gorge.
      > Carbon
      > battens are an awesome improvement on the kite. It looks like we
      > caught the
      > giants sleeping. More soon.

      The Booster is definite attractive due to its less pumping and blader
      maintenance requirement. If the battens are also lighter than the
      bladders then the Booster would be an excellent kite (especially for
      lighter wind).

      I would like to try one of this if you have one available.

      I think the Booster concept is great; however, the only concern I have
      with this concept is whether the batten can generate the desired camber
      need to generate the desired lift (Naish/Wipika can select any camber
      shape simply by changing the shape of the blader holder - I am a bit
      surprise that none of the inflatable kite manufacturers advertise the
      camber shape of their kite and start "arguing" why one is better than
      the others - yes they are very different and can generate very different
      results). As of now, I find NO REASON to buy another inflatable kite
      besides Wipika or Naish (except for the Booster of course).

      Hung.
    • xkites.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2001
        The camber shape was what we were tweaking the most. We decided to use
        variable density carbon/foam battens to get an ideal shape. I haven't
        received the final version yet but I was flying the a prototype of the 8.5
        today and that thing is super powerful and it turns fast. Kinsley of
        xtremebigair was stoked on the power and turning ability. We'll send him a
        production version in a few weeks so you'll be able to get an honest and
        unbiased opinion from him (he's an f-one sales rep, but he rides the
        airblast and rrd or whatever kite he likes at the moment.:)

        Best,

        Lucas

        Team windtools USA

      • hungvu@netcom.ca
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2001
          The truly unbiased opinions can only come from the users (people
          who pays hard earning money to buy kitesurfing equipment) and not
          the retailers, distributors nor manufacturers of kitesurfing
          equipment.

          Hung.

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • xkites.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 8, 2001
            Actually, Hung even they exhibit bias, since there is a tendency to justify
            and self confirm ones purchase decision.
            So kitesurfers with no direct ties to the company or the product will have
            the least incentive to be biased in their opinion.
            In any case, I guess we'll have to get you to try one and let us know what
            you think:)

            Again, I'll send demos of any kite to your nearest shop upon request.

            Good Winds,

            Lucas

            windtools USA