unluffable kite- Stamos

  • windtools
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001

      Speaking of unluffable foils, we tuned the windtools Stamos to have the same
      effect. Even if you run towards the kite when you quickly fly it over you,
      the kite has a tendency to just drift downwind. Its great for wave riding
      because you can actually fly towards the kite and release tension on the
      lines without crashing the kite. The Stamos will just gently drift downwind
      until you decide to power it up again. The Stamos won't overfly or collapse,
      and forget tangling the bridles there's half the bridles of a normal foil.
      But don't take my word for it. If you want to try one out send me an email
      and I'll send a demo kite to your nearest store.

      On another note the final testing of the Booster is finished, and it is
      SWEEEEET. I just got done flying one of the prototypes at the gorge. Carbon
      battens are an awesome improvement on the kite. It looks like we caught the
      giants sleeping. More soon.

      Best,

      Ride Hard.

      Lucas

      Team windtools USA

      By the way, windtools kites no longer have condoms, and there are a ton of
      other improvements (not to mention a cooler look).

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
        > windtools wrote:
        > On another note the final testing of the Booster is finished, and it
        > is
        > SWEEEEET. I just got done flying one of the prototypes at the gorge.
        > Carbon
        > battens are an awesome improvement on the kite. It looks like we
        > caught the
        > giants sleeping. More soon.

        The Booster is definite attractive due to its less pumping and blader
        maintenance requirement. If the battens are also lighter than the
        bladders then the Booster would be an excellent kite (especially for
        lighter wind).

        I would like to try one of this if you have one available.

        I think the Booster concept is great; however, the only concern I have
        with this concept is whether the batten can generate the desired camber
        need to generate the desired lift (Naish/Wipika can select any camber
        shape simply by changing the shape of the blader holder - I am a bit
        surprise that none of the inflatable kite manufacturers advertise the
        camber shape of their kite and start "arguing" why one is better than
        the others - yes they are very different and can generate very different
        results). As of now, I find NO REASON to buy another inflatable kite
        besides Wipika or Naish (except for the Booster of course).

        Hung.
      • xkites.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2001
          The camber shape was what we were tweaking the most. We decided to use
          variable density carbon/foam battens to get an ideal shape. I haven't
          received the final version yet but I was flying the a prototype of the 8.5
          today and that thing is super powerful and it turns fast. Kinsley of
          xtremebigair was stoked on the power and turning ability. We'll send him a
          production version in a few weeks so you'll be able to get an honest and
          unbiased opinion from him (he's an f-one sales rep, but he rides the
          airblast and rrd or whatever kite he likes at the moment.:)

          Best,

          Lucas

          Team windtools USA

        • hungvu@netcom.ca
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2001
            The truly unbiased opinions can only come from the users (people
            who pays hard earning money to buy kitesurfing equipment) and not
            the retailers, distributors nor manufacturers of kitesurfing
            equipment.

            Hung.

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • xkites.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 8, 2001
              Actually, Hung even they exhibit bias, since there is a tendency to justify
              and self confirm ones purchase decision.
              So kitesurfers with no direct ties to the company or the product will have
              the least incentive to be biased in their opinion.
              In any case, I guess we'll have to get you to try one and let us know what
              you think:)

              Again, I'll send demos of any kite to your nearest shop upon request.

              Good Winds,

              Lucas

              windtools USA