Re: [ksurfschool] Cabarete was great!!

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
      eric_george@... wrote:
      > I just came back from Cabarete and it could not have been better!!
      >
      > The key is to go to the kitesurfing beach which is a 2 minute moped
      > ride from the main bay. That is where the kitesurfing schools
      > operate. The beach there was vast, with lots of downwind potential.

      Yes, the kitesurfing beach is good (or any other spots along the north
      coast of DR. Have you tried Costamba near Puerto Plata?) but not
      Cabarete. The only problem is that all the accomodation is in Cabarete
      so it is somewhat inconvenience to the kitesurfers. The local should at
      least reverse 1/3 of the bay for kitesurfers instead of ONLY the last
      100 m of the bay such that the kitesurfers has to (d)ride outside of the
      bay for kitesurfing.

      This "discrimination" of kitesurfers at existing windsurfing spots would
      lead to kitesurfers creating our own resorts eventually.

      > I was there fot 10 days, and it blew consistently everyday. This was
      > in July. I cannot attest to the other months, but June and July are
      > great.

      Yes, July and August are the best at the north coast of DR (100% chance
      to kitesurf/windsurf everyday - I kitesurfed everyday at Costamba last
      summer). In the winter the chance of windsurfing is around 50% of the
      time and probably 75% for kitesurfing.

      > Even the pros from Mauii were impressed.

      Probably due to the "merangue" as nite life is so "boring" in Maui ;-)

      Hung.
    • kitesrfer@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
        Eric,

        Glad you had a good trip. I was there about a month ago and did the moped
        commute to kite beach each day as well. It really is a great place for
        kitesurfing. I think that the winds are pretty reliable through the summer.
        Low pressure systems take away from the afternoon winds I understand but
        fortunately they don't come along that often in the summer time. The winds
        are not as high as in Maui, nor as gusty, but they do come up in the 20 to 30
        mph range almost daily, every afternoon. For starting kitesurfers as well as
        well experienced ones it is a treat to go there.

        Good winds,
        Rick

        << Hung,

        I just came back from Cabarete and it could not have been better!!

        The key is to go to the kitesurfing beach which is a 2 minute moped
        ride from the main bay. That is where the kitesurfing schools
        operate. The beach there was vast, with lots of downwind potential.

        I was there fot 10 days, and it blew consistently everyday. This was
        in July. I cannot attest to the other months, but June and July are
        great.

        Even the pros from Mauii were impressed.

        > This is a very interesting question. Let me try to define the
        criteria
        > for the best place for kitesurfing (in order of importance)
        >
        > 1- Consistent constant wind (within the range of 10 - 40 knots) year
        > round (you should be able to kitesurf 7 out of 7 days you go
        there). If
        > the wind is too strong, you can kitesurf in the lighter wind period
        of
        > the day (normally in the morning at most places) or use a smaller
        kite
        > and/or shorter lines.
        > 2- Lots of empty beach space (Carabette is terrible as there
        are "tons"
        > of people on the beach)
        > 3- Lots of down wind space (Cabarette is terrible as the windsurfers
        > reserve all the bay and the kitesurfers have only 100 m of down wind
        > space)
        > 4- WARM water
        > 5- Water quality
        > 6- Good food, drink (this item may be controversial ;-)
        > 7- Wave (I don't think it's that important and has never really
        enjoyed
        > kitesurfing in wave as much as windsurfing in wave)
        >
        > Etc.,
        >
        > Hung.
        >
        > notalreadyinusebysomeoneelse@y... wrote:
        > >
        > > It sounds like there are quite a few good places to kitesurf in SE
        > > Asia. I heard that there are several good places in Indonesia,
        too.
        > > But being a total beginner with no prior experience in windsurfing
        > > either, I can't tell what constitutes a good place to kite and
        what
        > > doesn't (I'm only starting to learn how the winds work with
        different
        > > kites). I guess I can't just show up at some remote stretch of
        beach
        > > with wind and try to kitesurf?
        > >
        > > By the way, does anyone know anything about kitesurfing in
        > > Singapore?
        > >
        > > Stephie
        > >
        > > --- In ksurfschool@y..., Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:
        > > > From http://www.surfasia.com/vietnam/index.html it sounds like
        Phan
        > > > Thiet is one of the best place to kitesurf ("From November to
        May,