Cabarete was great!!

  • eric_george@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
      Hung,

      I just came back from Cabarete and it could not have been better!!

      The key is to go to the kitesurfing beach which is a 2 minute moped
      ride from the main bay. That is where the kitesurfing schools
      operate. The beach there was vast, with lots of downwind potential.

      I was there fot 10 days, and it blew consistently everyday. This was
      in July. I cannot attest to the other months, but June and July are
      great.

      Even the pros from Mauii were impressed.

      > This is a very interesting question. Let me try to define the
      criteria
      > for the best place for kitesurfing (in order of importance)
      >
      > 1- Consistent constant wind (within the range of 10 - 40 knots) year
      > round (you should be able to kitesurf 7 out of 7 days you go
      there). If
      > the wind is too strong, you can kitesurf in the lighter wind period
      of
      > the day (normally in the morning at most places) or use a smaller
      kite
      > and/or shorter lines.
      > 2- Lots of empty beach space (Carabette is terrible as there
      are "tons"
      > of people on the beach)
      > 3- Lots of down wind space (Cabarette is terrible as the windsurfers
      > reserve all the bay and the kitesurfers have only 100 m of down wind
      > space)
      > 4- WARM water
      > 5- Water quality
      > 6- Good food, drink (this item may be controversial ;-)
      > 7- Wave (I don't think it's that important and has never really
      enjoyed
      > kitesurfing in wave as much as windsurfing in wave)
      >
      > Etc.,
      >
      > Hung.
      >
      > notalreadyinusebysomeoneelse@y... wrote:
      > >
      > > It sounds like there are quite a few good places to kitesurf in SE
      > > Asia. I heard that there are several good places in Indonesia,
      too.
      > > But being a total beginner with no prior experience in windsurfing
      > > either, I can't tell what constitutes a good place to kite and
      what
      > > doesn't (I'm only starting to learn how the winds work with
      different
      > > kites). I guess I can't just show up at some remote stretch of
      beach
      > > with wind and try to kitesurf?
      > >
      > > By the way, does anyone know anything about kitesurfing in
      > > Singapore?
      > >
      > > Stephie
      > >
      > > --- In ksurfschool@y..., Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:
      > > > From http://www.surfasia.com/vietnam/index.html it sounds like
      Phan
      > > > Thiet is one of the best place to kitesurf ("From November to
      May,

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • fernmanus@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
        Yes, I was referring to shorebreak. We don't have any shorebreak
        where I kitesurf inland, just flat water. Shorebreak is a real pain
        if the wind is blowing directly on-shore.

        > > Wind Direction: Best conditions are side shore or side/on-shore
        > > wind. On-shore or off-shore winds are dangerous for a beginner.
        >
        > Yes. I forgot about this. This should be one of the top 3
        priorities.

        > > Waves: It is easier for a beginner to learn on relatively flat
        > > water. I have seen a lot of beginners struggle with pounding
        surf.

        > You probably mean "shore break". Waves are normally 1/4 to 1 mile
        out
        > in the ocean (except for Hookipa which is 50 - 100 m) which would
        leave
        > enough "room" for the beginner to learn on the inside. "Shore
        breaks"
        > are small waves right at the beach.
        >
        > Yes. No shore break is more preferable (I don't think anybody like
        > them, not just the beginner, neither the windsurfers). The best
        way to
        > deal with shore break is just use the kite to drag you out in deep
        water
        > before trying to get on the board. (I used this technique to get
        through
        > 4' shore break at Carabete in Jan 1999 while most windsurfers
        cursed).

        > > Wind Speed: I am a big advocate of learning in light or moderate
        > > winds: 15 - 25 mph). This allows the beginner to use larger kites
        > > that fly more slowly. Furthermore, light to moderate winds tend
        > > be more steady and consistent.
        >
        > The best wind to learn is around 15 knots according to Cory
        Roeseller,

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
          eric_george@... wrote:
          > I just came back from Cabarete and it could not have been better!!
          >
          > The key is to go to the kitesurfing beach which is a 2 minute moped
          > ride from the main bay. That is where the kitesurfing schools
          > operate. The beach there was vast, with lots of downwind potential.

          Yes, the kitesurfing beach is good (or any other spots along the north
          coast of DR. Have you tried Costamba near Puerto Plata?) but not
          Cabarete. The only problem is that all the accomodation is in Cabarete
          so it is somewhat inconvenience to the kitesurfers. The local should at
          least reverse 1/3 of the bay for kitesurfers instead of ONLY the last
          100 m of the bay such that the kitesurfers has to (d)ride outside of the
          bay for kitesurfing.

          This "discrimination" of kitesurfers at existing windsurfing spots would
          lead to kitesurfers creating our own resorts eventually.

          > I was there fot 10 days, and it blew consistently everyday. This was
          > in July. I cannot attest to the other months, but June and July are
          > great.

          Yes, July and August are the best at the north coast of DR (100% chance
          to kitesurf/windsurf everyday - I kitesurfed everyday at Costamba last
          summer). In the winter the chance of windsurfing is around 50% of the
          time and probably 75% for kitesurfing.

          > Even the pros from Mauii were impressed.

          Probably due to the "merangue" as nite life is so "boring" in Maui ;-)

          Hung.
        • kitesrfer@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
            Eric,

            Glad you had a good trip. I was there about a month ago and did the moped
            commute to kite beach each day as well. It really is a great place for
            kitesurfing. I think that the winds are pretty reliable through the summer.
            Low pressure systems take away from the afternoon winds I understand but
            fortunately they don't come along that often in the summer time. The winds
            are not as high as in Maui, nor as gusty, but they do come up in the 20 to 30
            mph range almost daily, every afternoon. For starting kitesurfers as well as
            well experienced ones it is a treat to go there.

            Good winds,
            Rick