Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Best place to kitesurf!

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31 4:49 PM
      Hung Vu <hungvu@...> wrote:

      > The best way to
      > deal with shore break is just use the kite to drag you out in deep water
      > before trying to get on the board. (I used this technique to get through
      > 4' shore break at Carabete in Jan 1999 while most windsurfers cursed).

      Yet another advantage of kiteboarding over windsurfing. It also gives you
      more confidence to ride the shorebreak/surf, because if you're about to get
      nailed in the impact zone you don't have to worry about breaking your gear.
      You can just hop off the board & use the kite to pull you through.

      > Most high wind destinations has the quiet period in the morning 8AM -
      > noon, when the wind is much lighter than the afternoon. Such high wind
      > destination would be PERFECT for a want-to-be-kitesurfer windsurfer as
      > he/she can learn kitesurfing in the morning and have a "heal-the-ego"
      > session in the afternoon.

      La Ventana, Baja Mexico, fits that description perfectly, however other Baja
      locations do NOT have moderate winds (they're "all or nothing").

      Mel
    • eric_george@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
        Hung,

        I just came back from Cabarete and it could not have been better!!

        The key is to go to the kitesurfing beach which is a 2 minute moped
        ride from the main bay. That is where the kitesurfing schools
        operate. The beach there was vast, with lots of downwind potential.

        I was there fot 10 days, and it blew consistently everyday. This was
        in July. I cannot attest to the other months, but June and July are
        great.

        Even the pros from Mauii were impressed.

        > This is a very interesting question. Let me try to define the
        criteria
        > for the best place for kitesurfing (in order of importance)
        >
        > 1- Consistent constant wind (within the range of 10 - 40 knots) year
        > round (you should be able to kitesurf 7 out of 7 days you go
        there). If
        > the wind is too strong, you can kitesurf in the lighter wind period
        of
        > the day (normally in the morning at most places) or use a smaller
        kite
        > and/or shorter lines.
        > 2- Lots of empty beach space (Carabette is terrible as there
        are "tons"
        > of people on the beach)
        > 3- Lots of down wind space (Cabarette is terrible as the windsurfers
        > reserve all the bay and the kitesurfers have only 100 m of down wind
        > space)
        > 4- WARM water
        > 5- Water quality
        > 6- Good food, drink (this item may be controversial ;-)
        > 7- Wave (I don't think it's that important and has never really
        enjoyed
        > kitesurfing in wave as much as windsurfing in wave)
        >
        > Etc.,
        >
        > Hung.
        >
        > notalreadyinusebysomeoneelse@y... wrote:
        > >
        > > It sounds like there are quite a few good places to kitesurf in SE
        > > Asia. I heard that there are several good places in Indonesia,
        too.
        > > But being a total beginner with no prior experience in windsurfing
        > > either, I can't tell what constitutes a good place to kite and
        what
        > > doesn't (I'm only starting to learn how the winds work with
        different
        > > kites). I guess I can't just show up at some remote stretch of
        beach
        > > with wind and try to kitesurf?
        > >
        > > By the way, does anyone know anything about kitesurfing in
        > > Singapore?
        > >
        > > Stephie
        > >
        > > --- In ksurfschool@y..., Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:
        > > > From http://www.surfasia.com/vietnam/index.html it sounds like
        Phan
        > > > Thiet is one of the best place to kitesurf ("From November to
        May,

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • fernmanus@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
          Yes, I was referring to shorebreak. We don't have any shorebreak
          where I kitesurf inland, just flat water. Shorebreak is a real pain
          if the wind is blowing directly on-shore.

          > > Wind Direction: Best conditions are side shore or side/on-shore
          > > wind. On-shore or off-shore winds are dangerous for a beginner.
          >
          > Yes. I forgot about this. This should be one of the top 3
          priorities.

          > > Waves: It is easier for a beginner to learn on relatively flat
          > > water. I have seen a lot of beginners struggle with pounding
          surf.

          > You probably mean "shore break". Waves are normally 1/4 to 1 mile
          out
          > in the ocean (except for Hookipa which is 50 - 100 m) which would
          leave
          > enough "room" for the beginner to learn on the inside. "Shore
          breaks"
          > are small waves right at the beach.
          >
          > Yes. No shore break is more preferable (I don't think anybody like
          > them, not just the beginner, neither the windsurfers). The best
          way to
          > deal with shore break is just use the kite to drag you out in deep
          water
          > before trying to get on the board. (I used this technique to get
          through
          > 4' shore break at Carabete in Jan 1999 while most windsurfers
          cursed).

          > > Wind Speed: I am a big advocate of learning in light or moderate
          > > winds: 15 - 25 mph). This allows the beginner to use larger kites
          > > that fly more slowly. Furthermore, light to moderate winds tend
          > > be more steady and consistent.
          >
          > The best wind to learn is around 15 knots according to Cory
          Roeseller,

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
            eric_george@... wrote:
            > I just came back from Cabarete and it could not have been better!!
            >
            > The key is to go to the kitesurfing beach which is a 2 minute moped
            > ride from the main bay. That is where the kitesurfing schools
            > operate. The beach there was vast, with lots of downwind potential.

            Yes, the kitesurfing beach is good (or any other spots along the north
            coast of DR. Have you tried Costamba near Puerto Plata?) but not
            Cabarete. The only problem is that all the accomodation is in Cabarete
            so it is somewhat inconvenience to the kitesurfers. The local should at
            least reverse 1/3 of the bay for kitesurfers instead of ONLY the last
            100 m of the bay such that the kitesurfers has to (d)ride outside of the
            bay for kitesurfing.

            This "discrimination" of kitesurfers at existing windsurfing spots would
            lead to kitesurfers creating our own resorts eventually.

            > I was there fot 10 days, and it blew consistently everyday. This was
            > in July. I cannot attest to the other months, but June and July are
            > great.

            Yes, July and August are the best at the north coast of DR (100% chance
            to kitesurf/windsurf everyday - I kitesurfed everyday at Costamba last
            summer). In the winter the chance of windsurfing is around 50% of the
            time and probably 75% for kitesurfing.

            > Even the pros from Mauii were impressed.

            Probably due to the "merangue" as nite life is so "boring" in Maui ;-)

            Hung.
          • kitesrfer@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
              Eric,

              Glad you had a good trip. I was there about a month ago and did the moped
              commute to kite beach each day as well. It really is a great place for
              kitesurfing. I think that the winds are pretty reliable through the summer.
              Low pressure systems take away from the afternoon winds I understand but
              fortunately they don't come along that often in the summer time. The winds
              are not as high as in Maui, nor as gusty, but they do come up in the 20 to 30
              mph range almost daily, every afternoon. For starting kitesurfers as well as
              well experienced ones it is a treat to go there.

              Good winds,
              Rick