Best place to kitesurf!

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 26, 2001
      From http://www.surfasia.com/vietnam/index.html it sounds like Phan
      Thiet is one of the best place to kitesurf ("From November to May, the
      wind blows from N-NE often 25 knots, sometimes up to 40. The rest of the
      year is S-SW 15 knots sometimes 25"). N-NE and S-SW are side-shore winds
      at Phan Thiet.

      As far as I can remember when I was a kid, Phan Thiet has the best
      warm-water, wide, long, empty beach in the world (as you can see in some
      of the pictures)

      I am thinking of forgetting about my career, kiteskiing and go there to
      start a kitesurfing club/school! Will you guys come?

      Hung.
    • Alex Tien Do
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 27, 2001
        Hung,
        I actually went there last March and windsurf for a day.  It's an ideal place to windsurf and kitesurf for year around. If you have no contradiction I think you should go. I will come actually I will be back this year. I know the guy at the Full Moon Resort.
        Tien

      • notalreadyinusebysomeoneelse@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 30, 2001
          It sounds like there are quite a few good places to kitesurf in SE
          Asia. I heard that there are several good places in Indonesia, too.
          But being a total beginner with no prior experience in windsurfing
          either, I can't tell what constitutes a good place to kite and what
          doesn't (I'm only starting to learn how the winds work with different
          kites). I guess I can't just show up at some remote stretch of beach
          with wind and try to kitesurf?

          By the way, does anyone know anything about kitesurfing in
          Singapore?

          Stephie

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 30, 2001
            This is a very interesting question. Let me try to define the criteria
            for the best place for kitesurfing (in order of importance)

            1- Consistent constant wind (within the range of 10 - 40 knots) year
            round (you should be able to kitesurf 7 out of 7 days you go there). If
            the wind is too strong, you can kitesurf in the lighter wind period of
            the day (normally in the morning at most places) or use a smaller kite
            and/or shorter lines.
            2- Lots of empty beach space (Carabette is terrible as there are "tons"
            of people on the beach)
            3- Lots of down wind space (Cabarette is terrible as the windsurfers
            reserve all the bay and the kitesurfers have only 100 m of down wind
            space)
            4- WARM water
            5- Water quality
            6- Good food, drink (this item may be controversial ;-)
            7- Wave (I don't think it's that important and has never really enjoyed
            kitesurfing in wave as much as windsurfing in wave)

            Etc.,

            Hung.

          • fernmanus@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 31, 2001
              Hung,

              I wish to add my two cents as well. A couple more factors that are
              important:

              Wind Direction: Best conditions are side shore or side/on-shore
              wind. On-shore or off-shore winds are dangerous for a beginner.

              Waves: It is easier for a beginner to learn on relatively flat
              water. I have seen a lot of beginners struggle with pounding surf.

              Wind Speed: I am a big advocate of learning in light or moderate
              winds: 15 - 25 mph). This allows the beginner to use larger kites
              that fly more slowly. Furthermore, light to moderate winds tend to
              be more steady and consistent.

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 31, 2001
                > Wind Direction: Best conditions are side shore or side/on-shore
                > wind. On-shore or off-shore winds are dangerous for a beginner.

                Yes. I forgot about this. This should be one of the top 3 priorities.

                > Waves: It is easier for a beginner to learn on relatively flat
                > water. I have seen a lot of beginners struggle with pounding surf.

                You probably mean "shore break". Waves are normally 1/4 to 1 mile out
                in the ocean (except for Hookipa which is 50 - 100 m) which would leave
                enough "room" for the beginner to learn on the inside. "Shore breaks"
                are small waves right at the beach.

                Yes. No shore break is more preferable (I don't think anybody like
                them, not just the beginner, neither the windsurfers). The best way to
                deal with shore break is just use the kite to drag you out in deep water
                before trying to get on the board. (I used this technique to get through
                4' shore break at Carabete in Jan 1999 while most windsurfers cursed).

                > Wind Speed: I am a big advocate of learning in light or moderate
                > winds: 15 - 25 mph). This allows the beginner to use larger kites
                > that fly more slowly. Furthermore, light to moderate winds tend to
                > be more steady and consistent.

                The best wind to learn is around 15 knots according to Cory Roeseller,
                one of the inventors of kitesurfing, who has taught many people in the
                early days of kitesurfing.

                Most high wind destinations has the quiet period in the morning 8AM -
                noon, when the wind is much lighter than the afternoon. Such high wind
                destination would be PERFECT for a want-to-be-kitesurfer windsurfer as
                he/she can learn kitesurfing in the morning and have a "heal-the-ego"
                session in the afternoon.

                Hung.
              • Mel
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 31, 2001
                  Hung Vu <hungvu@...> wrote:

                  > The best way to
                  > deal with shore break is just use the kite to drag you out in deep water
                  > before trying to get on the board. (I used this technique to get through
                  > 4' shore break at Carabete in Jan 1999 while most windsurfers cursed).

                  Yet another advantage of kiteboarding over windsurfing. It also gives you
                  more confidence to ride the shorebreak/surf, because if you're about to get
                  nailed in the impact zone you don't have to worry about breaking your gear.
                  You can just hop off the board & use the kite to pull you through.

                  > Most high wind destinations has the quiet period in the morning 8AM -
                  > noon, when the wind is much lighter than the afternoon. Such high wind
                  > destination would be PERFECT for a want-to-be-kitesurfer windsurfer as
                  > he/she can learn kitesurfing in the morning and have a "heal-the-ego"
                  > session in the afternoon.

                  La Ventana, Baja Mexico, fits that description perfectly, however other Baja
                  locations do NOT have moderate winds (they're "all or nothing").

                  Mel
                • eric_george@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
                    Hung,

                    I just came back from Cabarete and it could not have been better!!

                    The key is to go to the kitesurfing beach which is a 2 minute moped
                    ride from the main bay. That is where the kitesurfing schools
                    operate. The beach there was vast, with lots of downwind potential.

                    I was there fot 10 days, and it blew consistently everyday. This was
                    in July. I cannot attest to the other months, but June and July are
                    great.

                    Even the pros from Mauii were impressed.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
                      Yes, I was referring to shorebreak. We don't have any shorebreak
                      where I kitesurf inland, just flat water. Shorebreak is a real pain
                      if the wind is blowing directly on-shore.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
                        eric_george@... wrote:
                        > I just came back from Cabarete and it could not have been better!!
                        >
                        > The key is to go to the kitesurfing beach which is a 2 minute moped
                        > ride from the main bay. That is where the kitesurfing schools
                        > operate. The beach there was vast, with lots of downwind potential.

                        Yes, the kitesurfing beach is good (or any other spots along the north
                        coast of DR. Have you tried Costamba near Puerto Plata?) but not
                        Cabarete. The only problem is that all the accomodation is in Cabarete
                        so it is somewhat inconvenience to the kitesurfers. The local should at
                        least reverse 1/3 of the bay for kitesurfers instead of ONLY the last
                        100 m of the bay such that the kitesurfers has to (d)ride outside of the
                        bay for kitesurfing.

                        This "discrimination" of kitesurfers at existing windsurfing spots would
                        lead to kitesurfers creating our own resorts eventually.

                        > I was there fot 10 days, and it blew consistently everyday. This was
                        > in July. I cannot attest to the other months, but June and July are
                        > great.

                        Yes, July and August are the best at the north coast of DR (100% chance
                        to kitesurf/windsurf everyday - I kitesurfed everyday at Costamba last
                        summer). In the winter the chance of windsurfing is around 50% of the
                        time and probably 75% for kitesurfing.

                        > Even the pros from Mauii were impressed.

                        Probably due to the "merangue" as nite life is so "boring" in Maui ;-)

                        Hung.
                      • kitesrfer@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
                          Eric,

                          Glad you had a good trip. I was there about a month ago and did the moped
                          commute to kite beach each day as well. It really is a great place for
                          kitesurfing. I think that the winds are pretty reliable through the summer.
                          Low pressure systems take away from the afternoon winds I understand but
                          fortunately they don't come along that often in the summer time. The winds
                          are not as high as in Maui, nor as gusty, but they do come up in the 20 to 30
                          mph range almost daily, every afternoon. For starting kitesurfers as well as
                          well experienced ones it is a treat to go there.

                          Good winds,
                          Rick