Re: [ksurfschool] Re: help!! Ruptured bladder!!!

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 25, 2001
      Kenny and Mel,

      Small kites do not need to be firmly inflated but larger kite need to be
      inflated properly otherwise they would "twist around so much that it was
      impossible to relaunch properly" (I learned this back in the old days
      with the Wipika Classic 5.0 and 8.5)

      The rule of thumb in inflating: stop inflating when there is very little
      wrinkle in the leading edge (more wrinkle for small kites)

      Hung.

      fernmanus@... wrote:

      > Mel,
      >
      > Thanks for the tip on the ruptured bladder repair.
      >
      > I have had a difficult time the leading edge bladder on my 17.5 Naish
      > ARX became deflated due to very cold water early this year. I found
      > that the kite would get twisted or invert if not fully inflated when
      > I tried to relaunch the kite. I had the same difficulties last year
      > with my 15.5 AR5 when it had a pinhole leak. I found that the kite
      > would twist around so much that it was impossible to relaunch
      > properly.
      >
      > Kenny
      >
      > --- In ksurfschool@y..., Mel <kitebord@p...> wrote:
      > > <gigglewithme@h...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > I pumped up my main bladder (leading edge) of my Wipika Free Air
      > 11.0
      > > > yesterday and it popped. I don't mean a pinhole...I mean a 2 inch
      > > > gash.
      > > >
      > > > What are my options?? Can something that size be patched??
      > >
      > > Best repair for large bladder tears is "Mariner's Choice" Sail
      > Bandage,
      > > available at West Marine (www.westmarine.com). Our local kite
      > repair expert
      > > has used it on 2 FOOT gashes, with fine results.
      > >
      > > Best prevention for "popped" bladders is don't overinflate. In
      > fact, if you
      > > asked most people, they'd say my bladders are always
      > UNDERinflated. It
      > > really doesn't make much difference in performance (including low
      > wind
      > > waterlaunching). Try it sometime. Just "under" inflate & then
      > crash close
      > > to shore, just so you have confidence you can swim back if needed.
      > I can
      > > relaunch my 7.5 AR5 in about 6 knots, even when the bladder's so
      > soft that
      > > it collapses in mid flight in the gusts.
      > >
      > > Mel

    • Dwight & Jacky
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 26, 2001
        I have repaired large holes using the Wipika glue and some plastic cut from old bladders. It held
        forever. You do need to sew up the outer casing. One hard crash can blow the cut wide open and put a
        12" hole in it the next time. The tape from West Marine is best left of body repairs.

        Dwight

        > I pumped up my main bladder (leading edge) of my Wipika Free Air 11.0
        > yesterday and it popped. I don't mean a pinhole...I mean a 2 inch
        > gash.
        >
        > What are my options?? Can something that size be patched?? And if
        > not, how do I find a replacement, and at what (approx.) cost?? I
        > swear somebody up there is trying to prevent me from learning this
        > sport.....
        >
        > Guess I'll be windsurfing tomorrow.
        >
        > ...Frustrated in Massachusetts.

      • Dwight & Jacky
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 26, 2001
          I do use the Sail Bandage and it does allow the bladder to blow out in hard crashes. But I do use it
          in emergencies.You don't pump your kite up as hard as some of the heavy guys around here. They swear
          the kites fly like shit for them if they don't. I know one guy that tore his material just from over
          pumping a good kite and Naish replaced it. I think that was crazy.

          Dwight

          > Dwight & Jacky <fishersfort@...> wrote:
          >
          > > The tape from West Marine is best left of body repairs.
          >
          > There are two types of tape from West Marine that have been mentioned on
          > these groups:
          >
          > One is "spinnaker tape", which is made from cloth very similar to the body
          > of a kite. While I had poor luck with it (& ended up using Coghlan's tent
          > patch), at least two others had excellent results, so I likely just got an
          > old "expired" roll.
          >
          > The other is Mariner's Choice brand "Sail Bandage", which is made from a
          > slightly elastic translucent material very similar to the bladder of a kite.
          > While I don't think it would work very well for kite body repairs, it DOES
          > work VERY well for bladder repair.
          >
          > Mel

        • Mel
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 26, 2001
            Dwight & Jacky <fishersfort@...> wrote:

            > I do use the Sail Bandage and it does allow the bladder to blow out in
            hard crashes.

            So you're saying that a bladder patched with Mariner's Choice brand "Sail
            Bandage" can start to leak after some hard crashes, even though the bladder
            casing remains intact?

            Mel
          • Dwight & Jacky
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 27, 2001
              I am saying you can't patch the casing with it. I've never patched the inner bladder with it. I
              agree, that should work.

              Dwight

              > Dwight & Jacky <fishersfort@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I do use the Sail Bandage and it does allow the bladder to blow out in
              > hard crashes.
              >
              > So you're saying that a bladder patched with Mariner's Choice brand "Sail
              > Bandage" can start to leak after some hard crashes, even though the bladder
              > casing remains intact?
              >
              > Mel

            • Mel
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 26, 2003