Re: [ksurfschool] Relaunch

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 25, 2001
      dixon76710@... wrote:
      > With my three Naish ar5 kites smaller than the 15.5 I can flip the
      > kite off the leading edge in wind so light that I can not plane and
      > stay upwind. My 15.5 I can plane and stay upwind in wind so light
      > that I can not flip the kite off the edge. Does my light wind
      > relaunch technique really suck or should this be the case with bigger
      > kites?

      Try this: pull in 2 - 3m of front lines; throw the bar 2 - 3 m in front
      of you; release the front lines and swim toward the bar as fast as you
      can. If the kite is not flipped over then you need more wind. I found
      out that the AR5 normally need around 9-10 knots to relaunch OK in deep
      water. In shallow water you can relaunch them in 7-8 knots (because you
      can run toward the kite faster).

      This is probably why Wipika invented the reverse launching bridle for
      larger inflatables.

      Foils would relaunch easily in 7-8 knots (including the "non-water
      relauncheable" ones if you act fast enough)