Sweet Big Wipika Airblast 16.4

  • fernmanus@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2001
      After reading Hung's post. I wanted to tell everyone how much fun
      you can have on the opposite end of the spectrum. The last two days
      I have had incredible sessions on flat water (just a ripple). The
      loudest sound was the water carving through the water. I also had
      some great jumps. I was also the only person out on the water both
      days, no wind surfers, no boaters, no jet skis, just me and the birds.

      I have been using a 16.4 Airblast (equivalent to a Naish 21.5 ARX) in
      10 - 15 mph winds using a 142 cm Litewave Picklefork. This is a
      great combination because the 16.4 generates so much power in a gust
      that you need the additional edging capability that a small wakeboard
      provides.

      A few observations:
      The 16.4 is superior to the 21.5 ARX in several ways. The 16.4 is a
      1000 times easier to relaunch due to the bridle system. The 16.4
      flies higher in the window and is much more responsive making jumps
      much easier. I found that using either the 16.4 or the 21.5, I had
      to ride in the trim loop because even the smallest gust generates an
      incredible amount of force. It takes far less arm strength to handle
      the 16.4 while in the trim loop compared to the 21.5. The 16.4 goes
      upwind better than any other kite in my quiver.

      When I first started using the 16.4, I often ended up stalled on
      jumps. I found that I can't fly the kite as far back as smaller
      kites when jumping. This results in lower jumps. However, I still
      have been able to go over 20 feet high by timing jumps to coincide
      with gusts. The jumps are also very long and floaty, sometimes over
      a hundred feet downwind. Due to the excellent upwind capability of
      the 16.4, I can do several jumps on a reach and still make up the
      distance lost. I remember sailing in similar conditions last year
      using a 15.5 AR5 and a big board. I am having so much more fun this
      year.